Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry, What If.
What if every Boat on Strawberry caught their Limit of Kokanee   when will we run out of kokanee.
they must be catching a lot are they would not keep going back. are maybe they keep going back thinking they will catch one.
some things I have seen a lot of boats go to the same place maybe they see one boat there and they all go to the same place
then they start going ever which way.
any way we had a lot of fun there today and stayed away from most of the boats.
At times it's like feeding seagulls. As soon as they see someone catching fish the boats flock in like mad. Lol

Have had this happen at the Gorge too. I hooked a good fish just out from Anvil and by the time I got it in we had about a dozen new friends near by. They left almost as fast when they saw that it was a rainbow trout.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(06-26-2020, 09:54 PM)liketrolling Wrote: What if every Boat on Strawberry caught their Limit of Kokanee   when will we run out of kokanee.
they must be catching a lot are they would not keep going back. are maybe they keep going back thinking they will catch one.
some things I have seen a lot of boats go to the same place maybe they see one boat there and they all go to the same place
then they start going ever which way.
any way we had a lot of fun there today and stayed away from most of the boats.
The DWR listed 10,000 Kokanee a year are caught at Strawberry They stock over 400,000 and most fish reach maturity at 3 years old. So you have 3 years of classes in the lake. Do the math over  1,000,000 Kokes that we can target in the lake. So if the morality is 50% we still have over 600,000 fish in the lake .
(06-26-2020, 11:39 PM)pescadorutah Wrote: The DWR listed 10,000 Kokanee a year are caught at Strawberry  They stock over 400,000 and most fish reach maturity at 3 years old. So you have 3 years of classes in the lake. Do the math over  1,000,000 Kokes that we can target in the lake. So if the morality is 50% we still have over 600,000 fish in the lake .

You are assuming all planted kokanee survive to adulthood, which is not a reality.  I'm confident, many of them become food for the cutthroat and even the rainbows.
(06-27-2020, 12:07 AM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 11:39 PM)pescadorutah Wrote: The DWR listed 10,000 Kokanee a year are caught at Strawberry  They stock over 400,000 and most fish reach maturity at 3 years old. So you have 3 years of classes in the lake. Do the math over  1,000,000 Kokes that we can target in the lake. So if the morality is 50% we still have over 600,000 fish in the lake .

You are assuming all planted kokanee survive to adulthood, which is not a reality.  I'm confident, many of them become food for the cutthroat and even the rainbows.

I wondered that, too. But then I saw the tens of thousands of bright orange spawning Kokanee in the fall, and, realizing they would all shortly be dead, decided that there seems to be enough.

I was there today, too. Around 8:00 a.m. I took a quick count from where I was (somewhere between Mud Creek and the dock) and counted 70 boats that I could see. Counting both the SC and Strawberry sides, I'll bet they handled 200+ boats today. And it's still technically a weekday.
I here the demand for boats and campers are high this year.
Strawberry is only so big and the parking lot will only hold so many boat trailers.

and every year I see all the kokanee that are still left after sept. 10  but that may start going down, and I know that they turn red and die.
I love fishing for Kokanee that is all I can think about, and I like helping people learn how to catch them.

[Image: Kokanee-Salmon.jpg]
this was last year maybe end of aug are first part of sept.  on the 360 you can see all the kokanee, and I was seeing kokes like  this in a 300 sq. yards 
and I think I catch some Kokanee that are 4 years old I would think it would be hard for a kokanee to get over 24 In. in 3 years
(06-26-2020, 11:33 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: At times it's like feeding seagulls. As soon as they see someone catching fish the boats flock in like mad. Lol

Have had this happen at the Gorge too. I hooked a good fish just out from Anvil and by the time I got it in we had about a dozen new friends near by. They left almost as fast when they saw that it was a rainbow trout.
Same thing happens at Willard and the walleye fishing, two guys in a black Lund especially, they see you net a walleye and they are on top of you in a heartbeat. I try to stay away from people as much as possible, it is a big res. with a lot of areas that hold the eyes.
Many years ago when my parents has a cabin at Clarks Camp and before they poisoned the lake. All it took was for one boat to catch a few fish and before long every boat that launched from Clarks Camp were on top of each other. You would have 20 boats in the same area as a football field. The same thing holds true today. One boat catches a few and pretty soon they have 10 more boats around them. And now that Strawberry has become a Koke producer it's even worse. I've had to yell at other boats while out trolling because nobody is watching where they are going.
Question, What about the fish that spawn up Indian Creek and other places around the reservoir that don't get trapped? And question #2, why don't we catch more big 24"+ cutthroat?