Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBC day at Willard 6-26-20
Hit the south marina early...too early.  They have been leaving the exit gate on the south side open so we could sneak in and launch earlier than the 6 am gate opening.  No more.  Waited in line for almost a half hour.  Didn't get out of my vehicle to feed the skeeters like some of the other anxious guys in the lineup.

Busy morning at the ramp.  Musta been over a dozen boats launched before I got my tube rigged up and on the water.   Air temp early sixties.  Water temp early 70s...rising to about 74 by 11:30 departure.  Slight breeze at launch but pretty calm all morning.  Water clarity good.  Saw small fishy fry around the ramp.  Couldn't identify.  Lots of new young of several species in the water right now.  A few balls of new baby shad out in the lake.

I covered a LOT of water...from 10' out to 22'.  I presented a range of plastics, cranks and spinner rigs...with crawlers and with Gulp minnows.  Saw a LOT more fishy blips on sonar than I felt on the end of my line.  Thinking that the predators are taking advantage of the plentiful new food supply and don't need to mess with the silly stuff that fishermen offer.

No wipers and no walleye this trip.  Had four hits and landed 4 cats...all from the shallower zone on my S turn program.  Noticed a couple of anglers working right against the rocks and bringing in some cats.  Saw one good haul at the cleaning station later.  And the cats I caught were spawned out...and eating.  They all were stuffed with newly munched crawdads.  Probably just used my lures to "floss" after dining.

There were walleyes to be had today.  At least a couple of returning boaters had limits of good sized 'eyes.  Most were caught on trolled crankbaits.  But you had to have the right lure...at the right depth and speed.   Nobody reported any wipers.  And one of the wallie-whackers said his live well was full of barfed up silvery fry.  The toothy guys are finding some of the new crop of hatchlings large enough for dinner.  I suspect the wipers are doing the same.

I could tell when it was a good time to exit the lake.  I didn't even have to watch the parade of power squadron craft exiting the channel.  I could hear them.  As the sounds of loud motors, loud music and loud voices grew increasingly obnoxious...to a quiet and contemplative angler like myself (old codger)...the esthetics of the trip began to pale.  I headed in.

One last assault on my senses.  As I entered the boat channel with my 40# thrust electric throwing up a rooster ripple, there was a boat full of feminine pulchritude just exiting.  Those poor young ladies evidently could not afford much body covering.  And one of them might have been suffering from vitamin D deficiency.  At least she removed the D cup top of her already skimpy swim attire to anoint her "assets" with sunscreen...in full view of all who wanted to watch.  What's the sunshine equivalent of "snow blindness".  I think I got it.

[Image: SHAD-SHOWING.jpg][Image: SNARL-CRAWLER.jpg][Image: GULP-KITTY.jpg][Image: GETTIN-BUSY.jpg][Image: NBC-NUTTIN-BUT-CATS.jpg]
Pat, I'm not sure i can visualize what you described seeing. Did you happen to snap a picture?
Charging batteries on the drone, did you say the South entrance?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-27-2020, 12:01 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: Pat, I'm not sure i can visualize what you described seeing.  Did you happen to snap a picture?
Those who have fished with me know that I keep my waterproof fishing camera (Pentax Optio 90) on a lanyard around my neck and am usually quick to recognize a photo op and shoot it.  Not this time.  I was so gobsmacked that I completely forgot my photo responsibilities.  Probably for the better.  It would not have been allowed on this "family-friendly" forum.  And if you've seen one...you've seen two.

Sorry I can't provide some on-the-water eye candy for you...you dirty old man.

(06-27-2020, 01:51 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Charging batteries on the drone, did you say the South entrance?
Yea, verily.  The south marina it was.  But there have been other sightings at various other venues around Willard...and other Utah waters.  A few years ago I was almost a casualty of casual attire on Pineview.  I was in my old donut float tube...blissfully casting around a point...when I became aware of a whole lotta ruckus approaching.  I looked up to see some poor lady water skiing without her top.  Musta blown off in the breeze.  There were several other boats keeping pace with her...shouting their admiration and encouragement.  And these other boats were so intent on their verbal and visual support that they heeded not the lonely float tuber directly in their path.   I swear that the occupants of the two boats that roared by me on either side never knew I was there...in spite of my loud assurances that I was...and shouts of my own about their dubious parentage or legal status.

Utah has a well-deserved reputation for clean living and modesty among womenkind.  But evidently some of our states' ladies are very proud of their physical developments and are anxious to show them off.  Enough to give ya retinal covid virus or something.  But I ain't gonna wear my mask over my eyes.
(06-27-2020, 03:43 AM)TubeDude Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 12:01 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: Pat, I'm not sure i can visualize what you described seeing.  Did you happen to snap a picture?
Those who have fished with me know that I keep my waterproof fishing camera (Pentax Optio 90) on a lanyard around my neck and am usually quick to recognize a photo op and shoot it.  Not this time.  I was so gobsmacked that I completely forgot my photo responsibilities.  Probably for the better.  It would not have been allowed on this "family-friendly" forum.  And if you've seen one...you've seen two.

(06-27-2020, 01:51 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Charging batteries on the drone, did you say the South entrance?
Yea, verily.  The south marina it was.  But there have been other sightings at various other venues around Willard...and other Utah waters.  A few years ago I was almost a casualty of casual attire on Pineview.  I was in my old donut float tube...blissfully casting around a point...when I became aware of a whole lotta ruckus approaching.  I looked up to see some poor lady water skiing without her top.  Musta blown off in the breeze.  There were several other boats keeping pace with her...shouting their admiration and encouragement.  And these other boats were so intent on their verbal and visual support that they heeded not the lonely float tuber directly in their path.   I swear that the occupants of the two boats that roared by me on either side never knew I was there...in spite of my loud assurances that I was...and shouts of my own about their dubious parentage or legal status.

Utah has a well-deserved reputation for clean living and modesty among womenkind.  But evidently some of our states' ladies are very proud of their physical developments and are anxious to show them off.  Enough to give ya retinal covid virus or something.  But I ain't gonna wear my mask over my eyes.

Alas, my bride caught me headed out the door with my drone and shut down my geospatial analysis trip. I tried the whole sunset over the rockies - perfect shot story, but forgot she had read your post Pat. I have been confined to quarters and put on a bread and milk ration until my behavior improves - meaning likely a trip to Maddox for the Raspberry butter and halibut steak will be required to regain my head-of-household status. Oh, and has anyone else figure out that whole head-of-household thing was just a ruse to get the wedding band locked on and the life insurance paid up?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-27-2020, 01:19 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(06-27-2020, 03:43 AM)TubeDude Wrote:

Alas, my bride caught me headed out the door with my drone and shut down my geospatial analysis trip. I tried the whole sunset over the rockies - perfect shot story, but forgot she had read your post Pat. I have been confined to quarters and put on a bread and milk ration until my behavior improves - meaning likely a trip to Maddox for the Raspberry butter and halibut steak will be required to regain my head-of-household status. Oh, and has anyone else figure out that whole head-of-household thing was just a ruse to get the wedding band locked on and the life insurance paid up?
Ahh yes...awful wedded bliss.  Holy wedded macaroni.  I believe the term "weaker sex" was coined by the female gender as a disarming ruse to make men THINK they are stronger.  In reality, even if women  are not always physically stronger than men, their intellect allows them to make a man's mind and body work against him.  Kinda like mental/marital jiu jitsu.  And they play the game as if it were chess...already thinking several moves ahead.  So no matter what you say and do, your spouse already anticipated it and has several optional counter ploys ready to download on you.  Seems like they never ask questions unless they already know the answers.  In the end, she usually gets what she wants.  And you are happy to give it to her just to get out of the intense psychic battle you got yourself into.  Women may not always win...but they never lose.

Now eat your bread and milk and be happy it wasn't something worse.
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Pat, CBP  there just are not enough emojis on this site to depict how hard your back and forth made me laugh.....!!!!!!!

There are many, many sayings that rightly describe the husband / wife relationship. ie: Happy wife, happy life.   When momma aint happy, aint nobody happy.  And they are are true in various circumstances. But the one I have learned by hard lessons, and is the one I think covers everything, is " The most important 2 words a husband needs to learn, are Yes, Dear"   Cool
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(06-28-2020, 05:04 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Pat, CBP  there just are not enough emojis on this site to depict how hard your back and forth made me laugh.....!!!!!!!

There are many, many sayings that rightly describe the husband / wife relationship. ie: Happy wife, happy life.   When momma aint happy, aint nobody happy.  And they are are true in various circumstances. But the one I have learned by hard lessons, and is the one I think covers everything, is " The most important 2 words a husband needs to learn, are Yes, Dear"   Cool
Happy I could make you happy.  As a fellow veteran of the matrimonial acrimony game, I appreciate your appreciation.

There are many sageful sayings about marriage...and the joys/miseries thereof.  There are two that I dispense freely to young guys just contemplating marriage.  1.  A man does not know the meaning of true happiness until he's married.  But then it's too late.  2.  A man is not complete until he gains a wife.  Then he's finished.

But it ain't all bad.  And a lot of us have to do it more than once...until we get it right or prove all the negative sayings.  Been there done that.  Finally got a keeper.  

Women.  Cain't live with 'em...and cain't live with 'em.

I love the joke about a 90 year old man who had outlived three wives and was planning to get married again.  His 65 year old son was concerned about him and said "Dad, you are still healthy and can take care of yourself.  And it can't be just for the "lovin'".  Why are you going to get married again?"  To which the old geezer got a glint in his eye and said "Well, fer the small amount they eat I wouldn't be without one."

Question about WB ? I don't get up there much with Utah Lake and other waters next door, but I do remember that years ago, we would work the rip rap up there with cranks in the spring after the crappie ( and now SMB & perch) spawn.for the cat fish. Does anyone do that now ?? we used standard bass baits, mostly medium and deep cranks in crawdad colors. Nothing hits a crank like a catfish. Initial strike is like a runaway freight train. Fight is not real dogged, but that initial strike will take the rod out of your hands. Just wondering if you WB regulars work that riprap ??
(06-28-2020, 08:49 PM)Therapist Wrote: Question about WB ?  I don't get up there much with Utah Lake and other waters next door, but I do remember that years ago, we would work the rip rap up there with cranks in the spring after the crappie ( and now SMB & perch) spawn.for the cat fish.  Does anyone do that now ?? we used standard bass baits,  mostly medium and deep cranks in crawdad colors.  Nothing hits a crank like a catfish.  Initial strike is like a runaway freight train.  Fight is not real dogged,  but that initial strike will take the rod out of your hands.  Just wondering if you WB regulars work that riprap ??
Yeah, the WB kitties have always been rock huggers...when water levels are high enough for them to use the rocks both for spawning and feeding.  And yes, the kitties are still vicious crank munchers...both along the rocks and out in the main lake where they now cruise for shad just like the wipers and walleyes.

In our former days on that lake...BS&W (before shad and wipers)...the abundant crappies were a primary forage species.  They tended to stay near the rocks...as did the also plentiful green sunfish and crawdads.  That meant that you could work along the rocks with a wide range of baits and lures...even flies...and get multiple species.  But after the spring fling...and most species had spawned...the cats went on the prowl.  Bassers who flung cranks had a ball with the feisty cats.  These days they are just as likely to connect to a smallie as a kittie.  And there are times and places when wipers show up and chomp cranks along the banks too.

Lotsa good diving cranks and lipless cranks for cats in Willard.  Some with orange in them seem to get more attention.  Big Gitzit tube jigs in crawdad colors work well too.

Fortunately for the kitties, there are far more Willard anglers who head out to the wide open spaces on the lake in search of wipers and walleyes.  If it weren't for them I am sure the cats would get a lot more attention.
I’m tearing up Pat. How do you get all the lucky views? Guess my high alpine adventures just don’t attract much in the type of views you get. Oh well I’ve got spring breaks at Powell to remember.?
(06-29-2020, 02:51 AM)BG1 Wrote: I’m tearing up Pat. How do you get all the lucky views? Guess my high alpine adventures just don’t attract much in the type of views you get. Oh well I’ve got spring breaks at Powell to remember.?
Don't know if it counts for anything but I read and enjoy your reports and pics...lustfully.  A large part of my early life was spent hiking throughout the Sierras in California, the former Selway Wilderness Area in Idaho, The Wind Rivers in Wyoming and other high country venues with golden trout, brookies, grayling and other fish too beautiful for lowland lowlifes.  Now I can only whimper and whine as I "pine" for the good old days and back country trout.  Yeah, I do like my flatland fishies...like cats, bass, walleyes, perch, crappies, wipers, etc.  And I make a big deal out of never deliberately fishing for "slimers".  But I grew up in Idaho...with trout as my first fish...and I am permanently imprinted.  I miss the high and far off jaunts.  Keep your reports coming.  They are appreciated by at least one old reprobate.