Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bird Island 06-27-20
Wow, Pat, those three-footers must be for the sturgeon! ;-}

You make so few faux pas (or is it coyote paws?) that I have to kid you when I get a chance.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(06-29-2020, 03:18 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: I am not sure you can even find them today.  None of the box grocery stores near us carry any of those.  Our local butchers are not real butchers and don't have them either.

Once was a day when liver and gizzards were available, but if anyone here knows where to really get them, in this day and age, I and my wife want to know.

When I want chicken livers, I always find them at Winco.  And I used to mess with cut up old nylon stockings and thread.  But Ahi1953 showed me something early this year that works as well or even better and alot less messy that anything else. 
It's a type of medical bandage mesh, small diameter, for putting over small bandage or splints (like on fingers).  Comes in a box of about 25 feet, pull out a couple inches, tie a knot in the first end, pull off 2 or 3 more inches and cut from the spool. Turn that piece inside-out so the first knot at the bottom is now on the inside of the "bag". Spread the other end open, fill with livers or carp guts or whatever other messy cat bait you desire. Tie a knot in that end. Hook a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook or octopus hook, or other large hook of your choice thru the top knot, and then thru the middle of the mesh mess  Rolleyes and then thru the bottom (first knot).  

The stretchy mesh holds the bait on a fairly tight ball on the hook, while it bleeds out thru the mesh.   Cast it out to wherever you hope there may be hungry Cats, let it sit.  You will get small tugs and taps on it from small cats, but when a bigger cat takes it and swims off with it, best be sure your pole is secured to something.  Wink

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool