Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etiquette
The 4th is going to be insane! I for one am staying home and let others deal with the madness. New big crowds bring new numbers of fisher persons out on and around the waters and bad etiquette (most unknowing) but still frustrating. When you see someone catching a fish dont go set up right next to them or worse right over them! It has happened to me both on the gorge (home water) and strawberry.  Ok thats my soap box. 4th im staying home!
We geezers don't fish regular weekends, much less holiday weekends. Heck, many of us eschew Fridays any more, because of all the "early starters" among the power squadron.
Sadly with this Covid crud it’s crazy even during the week sometimes! Fishers and other boaters should practice the rule of if it would not be good for them, they shouldn’t do it to others. The wakeless when within 150 feet of shore and angler or other craft is often abused!!
Dives me crazy when someone runs buy at full tilt or full wake at 50 feet or less often when the lake is wide open. Every entrance pass at a state park should have that rule printed on it in bold letters!!
My soap box rant be safe and have fun if out on the 4th.
Mildog
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I work healthcare and have a day or two off during the week, up until this year I have enjoyed fishing with "the geezers"! Its been nice having the water be less congested! Yes I do wish the wardens would spend more time looking out for safe boating practices then checking license. Last time I fished deer creek I was checked 3 times efforts need to be redirected. Boy soap box two! Perhaps I should block myself for a little bit!
(07-01-2020, 02:02 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: We geezers don't fish regular weekends, much less holiday weekends. Heck, many of us eschew Fridays any more, because of all the "early starters" among the power squadron.

Rocky, bite your Tongue.  This geezer fishes whenever I get the chance and yes, I have a fishing trip planned for the 4th.  That said, I will be fishing a place where I have never been too crowded (unless I invite someone to fish a little closer to me, because I am doing well and they are struggling).
The 4th is about the only day in the first half of July that will have calm enough wind for me to fish out of Lincoln Beach so I just about have to go then. Launching early will be easy but loaded and leaving will be tough. Any suggestions how I might mitigate the pain? I don't think I can wait until dusk.

The last time I was trying to load in the middle of the day on a Saturday I quite literally got crosswise of a guy because I was unaware he was waiting. I suffered some of the worst foul language and a bit of elder abuse. A polite "Hey, I was here first" would have sufficed. I pulled back out and waited until traffic on the ramp lessened before I tried again. A little patience by all of us would go a long way. I have had some of the nicest experiences at the docks and ramps, but one jerk can sure leave a bad taste in your mouth.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I'll be at home all 3 days this holiday weekend.  Cooking ribs, doing home projects, getting some more unused stuff posted for sale on KSL, and watching some movies.  Y'all ain't got enough money to entice me to get anywhere within 5 miles of a body of water on any of those 3 days.
Big Grin
(07-02-2020, 12:02 PM)dubob Wrote: I'll be at home all 3 days this holiday weekend.  Cooking ribs, doing home projects, getting some more unused stuff posted for sale on KSL, and watching some movies.  Y'all ain't got enough money to entice me to get anywhere within 5 miles of a body of water on any of those 3 days.
Big Grin

I'm with Bob, I'm staying home and but I'm smoking ribs also. My working life involved the crowd infested weekends and now retired I can avoid the plague of weekends. I sometimes like to get out for a country drive for a day which avoidance still in place.  Cool
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I always keep a 3oz weight rigged for those power squadron numb skulls....if I can hit them as they pass me, then they are too close! Sand Hollow is perhaps the worst in the entire state for this, given both the small size and the large amount of numb skulls with surf boats in the area. We will be up in the high mountains enjoying cooler weather, cooler water and smaller crowds! Happy 4th everyone!
Good idea, richyd. Maybe I could fish for cats from 5 till 10 and avoid most of the power squadron then gather up the wife and dogs and head up to the Uintas. One 4th of July we went to Pass Lake and caught a lot of trout that were slightly larger than the hot dogs we roasted. My wife loved the place and has asked to go again most every year.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I've been battling some health issues so I haven't even unwinterized my boat yet. But from what I've been reading it sounds like I don't even want to. I'm retired so I don't fish weekends just mid week. But even that it sounds very crowded. I hope you are all being safe and good fishing to you all.
(07-01-2020, 02:47 PM)fishalot13 Wrote: I work healthcare and have a day or two off during the week, up until this year I have enjoyed fishing with "the geezers"! Its been nice having the water be less congested!  Yes I do wish the wardens would spend more time looking out for safe boating practices then checking license. Last time I fished deer creek I was checked 3 times efforts need to be redirected.  Boy soap box two! Perhaps I should block myself for a little bit!
Or the Park rangers policing the waters. I have spent several weeks at deer creek this summer and haven't seen a Parks boat on the water yet. The holiday crowd started rolling in Tuesday evening and things were starting off yesterday morning with the power squadron launching early, had two jet skis make a sandwich out of me yesterday at approximately 35 yards on my port and starboard side just missing my planer boards of which I doubt they even noticed.  Angry
(07-02-2020, 09:55 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 02:47 PM)fishalot13 Wrote: I work healthcare and have a day or two off during the week, up until this year I have enjoyed fishing with "the geezers"! Its been nice having the water be less congested!  Yes I do wish the wardens would spend more time looking out for safe boating practices then checking license. Last time I fished deer creek I was checked 3 times efforts need to be redirected.  Boy soap box two! Perhaps I should block myself for a little bit!
Or the Park rangers policing the waters. I have spent several weeks at deer creek this summer and haven't seen a Parks boat on the water yet. The holiday crowd started rolling in Tuesday evening and things were starting off yesterday morning with the power squadron launching early, had two jet skis make a sandwich out of me yesterday at approximately 35 yards on my port and starboard side just missing my planer boards of which I doubt they even noticed.  Angry
Bad enough when you are in a boat.  Even worse when the doofii (plural of doofus) use a float tuber as a pylon in a slalom course race...cutting in as close as possible on the turns.

I have the theory that IQ and basic intelligence decrease in direct proportion to A.  The age of the operator, B.  The size and price tag of the boat  C.  Actual ownership of the boat (rich daddies, etc.).  D.  Choice of music being played at over 100 decibels.  D.  Type and amount of liquid refreshments being served on board.

I ain't antisocial...just anti stupid.  So I tend to take advantage of my "7 day weekends" and fish mostly early before the late awakening zombies hit the water.  Don't like to waste my time and brain cells on competing with amateurs.
I drove past Pineview yesterday about 5 pm and back again about 6:30. Talk about a zoo! Worse, they've moved the No Wake buoy line in the Narrows all the way down to only about 150 yards from the NoGo buoy line. There are only a few acres of water left where the speed freaks can't go. It's a travesty.