Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palisades Kokanee and Lake Trout?
Every year my family spends the 3rd week in July camping at PaliSades so, my wife can pick Huckle Berrys and I fish, but honestly that place is one of my least favorite, because I can’t seem to find the kokanee, I can catch all the cutthroat and browns I want, but I’m a kocanut, at least one of the days Ill pull my boat and run over to Ririe where I know I can get into the kokes. I manage to catch kokes consistently at Ririe, Mackay, Strawberry and Flaming Gorge with basically the same tactics, I have been told Big Elk Creek and have fished there with out much success. I run Rocky Mountain Tackle Sling blades with a variety of different of hooche bead and blade combination usually in orange and pink or watermelon pattern tipped with Berkly maggots or my corn concoction at differant depths and speeds. Any advice would be welcome I have never targeted the Lakers there but that would be welcome advice as well. If you want to show me I’ll be fishing the 23-26 I have a well equipped 20 Wooldridge boat your welcome to join me, just send me a pm or respond here thanks.
Too few fish for such a large biomass. Nothing wrong with your tackle but I would suggest either pull to Ririe if you have to have Kokes or enjoy the plentiful trolling opportunities for Cutts, Browns and Macs at a beautiful fishing venue.
I want to try PaliSades. What would you guys recommend I start trolling with? Any information as to where to launch, camping ect.
(07-09-2020, 10:24 PM)fast_randy Wrote: I want to try PaliSades. What would you guys recommend I start trolling with? Any information as to where to launch, camping ect.
We camp and launch at Calamity Campground which is loaded with Huckle Berrys for my wife to pick, another option is Blowout it also has a small paid campground right off the highway and centrally located on the lake. There is also free primitive camping below the dam on the west side of the river and also free primitive camping at the back of Bear Creek but you will have to launch at either Blow Out or Calamity. I spend most of my time on the northern end of the lake near the dam and can consistently catch Browns and Cutts trolling along the face of the dam and the cliffs along the east side of the lake, I also regularly catch decent Browns along the south side of Bear creek, especially near the confluence with main lake. I catch them on my standard kokanee gear, but when I'm targeting the trout I do well trolling spoons like, Jakes, Little Cleos and Kastmasters. Use your electrons to find the fish and you should have no problem catching trout. If you figure out the Kokanee, please let me know what worked for you, if you are going to be out there between the 7/22-7/25 send me a PM and we can hook up and compare notes.
Thanks a bunch Obi. Looks like I'm going Wednesday. I might camp over by Bear Creek. I camped there once about 12 years ago and got my boat right by my camp. You can't drive across the dam any more, can you? I would like to come fish with you when you get up here. At least meet and greet.
(07-11-2020, 12:52 AM)fast_randy Wrote: Thanks  a bunch Obi. Looks like I'm going Wednesday. I might camp over by Bear Creek. I camped there once about 12 years ago and got my boat right by my camp. You can't drive across the dam any more, can you? I would like to come fish with you when you get up here. At least meet and greet.
No you can not drive across the dam, there is a bridge below the dam and they paved the road all the way to Calamity Camp Ground and launch ramp last year, its a decent gravel road for several miles after that to the back of Bear Creak. I'll message you a few days before we come up, good luck let me know how you do.
I will be out there Wednesday Through Sunday this week. If anyone has a report that would be awesome I’ll post while I’m up there If your up there I’ll be on a Blue 20’ Wooldridge boat, come say Hi and let’s talk fishing, thinking I may run over to Ririe Friday morning.
Finally found a couple Kokanee at Paliade, I met A guy from Idaho Kokanee page on Facebook at the Calamity boat ramp at 6:00 pm we ran over to Big Elk creek but we got blown down the lake and got out of the wind on the west side of the lake where we caught 2 Kokanee 17” and 18” several Cutts a brown and several chubs down 50’ going 1.7mph watermelon squid and dodger got both kokes.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice fish!
Good job!
We managed to put 7, 17-18” kokes in the box over the weekend and several dozen cutts, browns and chubs. I’m now looking forward to next year and hopefully dialing them in some more, I had a great time fishing with a number of my wife’s family.

Attached Files Image(s)

Well played Sir, well played!