Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge suggestions
Heading to Lucerne this week hoping to find some nice kokes. Any suggestions about what has been working recently would be appreciated.
(07-05-2020, 05:01 PM)Patchydog Wrote: Heading to Lucerne this week hoping to find some nice kokes. Any suggestions about what has been working recently would be appreciated.
I hear from a friend of mine that the Koke fishing has been spotty.  There have been some caught just below the pipeline and a few near Sheep Creek.  Use your fish finder in these area to locate the fish. Some schools will be active and ready to bite other may not. After finding some active fish keep working them.  Pink and orange were the best from what I heard. Tip your hoochie with red cured shoepeg corn, or pink gulp maggots. I also heard that fishing a little deeper than what your marking fish can lead to a little bigger fish.
Bigger fish is right! A laker and all you pull back is ur dodger and an 18 inch line on the back! Hate it when I lose a hoochie!
It’s been rare that anything has been consistent. 2 weeks ago a white squid was on fire. This weekend that combo didn’t catch one fish. Orange has been better for me for bigger fish that’s about the only thing I’ve figured out. Trial and error about every day. If you’re out bright and early start with different presentations and rifle through your tackle quickly. Last weekend billed squids worked great early and then shut down. Spinners are hit and miss as well. Good luck!
(07-05-2020, 05:01 PM)Patchydog Wrote: Heading to Lucerne this week hoping to find some nice kokes. Any suggestions about what has been working recently would be appreciated.
I've been working at Lucerne the last couple of weeks and like others have said, fishing has been pretty variable from day to day.  Overall anglers have been having better success in the Canyon around the Red Cliffs in Sheep Creek Bay and in Hideout.  Size is variable, but I've measured fish between 14-18 inches.  Uplake in Wyoming some fish are being caught around Rawlins, Pipeline, etc, but most anglers have reported temperamental fish with little consistency in specific location or lures.  Also anglers that are fishing at sunrise are doing better, but that's pretty common with kokanee.

In my own experiences the last couple of weeks down near the dam, I'm catching between 40-60ft, with the bigger kokes coming from the deep.  While trolling, I've done best with a RMT dodger in Fusion with a pink mini squid.  I've also caught some nicer kokes while jigging for lakers in 50-60 ft of water using a pink 1/2 ounce Kokanator.  Some are caught suspended around 40ft, but others come right near the bottom.  I tip everything with Gulp maggots.

If you're not marking fish, definitely move.  Don't hesitate to look closer to shore (shadeline) and also in the backs of draws or coves too.  I've had lower catch rates in the main channel areas lately.

Hope it helps and good luck, Ryno
(07-07-2020, 01:04 PM)Ryno Wrote:
I've been working at Lucerne the last couple of weeks and like others have said, fishing has been pretty variable from day to day.  Overall anglers have been having better success in the Canyon around the Red Cliffs in Sheep Creek Bay and in Hideout.  Size is variable, but I've measured fish between 14-18 inches.  Uplake in Wyoming some fish are being caught around Rawlins, Pipeline, etc, but most anglers have reported temperamental fish with little consistency in specific location or lures.  Also anglers that are fishing at sunrise are doing better, but that's pretty common with kokanee.

In my own experiences the last couple of weeks down near the dam, I'm catching between 40-60ft, with the bigger kokes coming from the deep.  While trolling, I've done best with a RMT dodger in Fusion with a pink mini squid.  I've also caught some nicer kokes while jigging for lakers in 50-60 ft of water using a pink 1/2 ounce Kokanator.  Some are caught suspended around 40ft, but others come right near the bottom.  I tip everything with Gulp maggots.

If you're not marking fish, definitely move.  Don't hesitate to look closer to shore (shadeline) and also in the backs of draws or coves too.  I've had lower catch rates in the main channel areas lately.

Hope it helps and good luck, Ryno
Lots of good information. Thank you
Thanks for all of your input. We left before most were posted. Our experience was much like has been suggested, very spotty and inconsistent. We fished sheep creek two days, the pipeline one day and Buckboard another day. The day we were at Buckboard started out quickly with one nice Koke then nothing for the next 4 hours. When we stopped at the cleaning station another angler said it was the worst day he had ever had there and that his buddies had been there just a couple of days before and they had killed them. I guess that’s why it’s called fishing rather than catching.