Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern waters question.
I have a friend that has some bad neck issues and he can't take the rough water that gets whipped up in most areas.

My question is are there any waters where I can get a 17' boat on that is wakeless?

Edit. 

Forgot to mention that he lives in Brigham so around that area please.

Thanks guys.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
You’re in luck, lost creek is wakeless.
Porcupine is also a good option
I agree those are your best two options. Great fishing at both!
If I remember right, Smith and Morehouse is wakeless.
Thanks guys.

How are the roads going up to Porcupine?
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
Porcupine if I remember right is paved to the dam. take it slow around the lake to the boat launch and you will be fine.
The road to the base of the dam is narrow and paved.  Once the pavement ends, the road up to the top of the dam is very rough and dusty.  There are no boat launches at Porcupine but there are two areas were a boat can be launched from.  The first area is a very steep canyon with an extremely sharp turn at the top were you leave the road.  The canyon is full of very large rocks (basket ball size and under) that you need to weave through both coming and going.  You WILL need a 4-wheel drive truck to use this area.  I launched my old 16 foot Tracker Deep V in this area maybe a dozen time with minor difficulty.  Further back is a hard sand beach area that will let you launch with less difficulty and can be done in 2-wheel drive early in the season before the water level gets too low.  Later in the year, the angle of the launch area gets steeper as the water recedes and you will propbably want 4-wheel drive to use it.  I have launched my 20 foot Thunder Jet at this area once and won't do it again.  The road  is just to rough, narrow, and dusty for me and I won't be taking my boat up there anymore.

Lost creek is a much better choice as it does now have a paved road all the way to the concrete launch ramp.  Just be aware that Lost Creek has a slot limit on all fish taken there and 99.9% of the fish are in the slot.  If fish to eat is the goal, Lost Creek is a very poor choice.

There are 4 waters listed on the WATERCRAFT RESTRICTIONS LIST as wakeless: Causey Reservoir (Weber County), Lost Creek (Morgan County), Porcupine Reservoir (Cache County, Porcupine Reservoir Company), and Smith and Morehouse (Summit County).  Lost Creek is the only one with an improved boat launch and none of them have courtesy docks.  You will have to get in and out of the boat from the shoreline.  And launching ANY vessel on Causey requires you to drag it or carry it to the water.

Good Luck.
(07-07-2020, 10:30 PM)dubob Wrote: Causey Reservoir (Weber County), Lost Creek (Morgan County), Porcupine Reservoir (Cache County, Porcupine Reservoir Company), and Smith and Morehouse (Summit County).  Lost Creek is the only one with an improved boat launch and none of them have courtesy docks.  You will have to get in and out of the boat from the shoreline.  And launching ANY vessel on Causey requires you to drag it or carry it to the water.
Bob, not sure when you were last at Smith and Morehouse but it does have a nice improved concrete launch ramp now. The last three miles or so before you get to the ramp is a gravel road however but the road was in good shape, when I fished there for kokanee last year. Very nice camp ground there too, it has been nicely upgraded.
(07-08-2020, 04:34 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 10:30 PM)dubob Wrote: Causey Reservoir (Weber County), Lost Creek (Morgan County), Porcupine Reservoir (Cache County, Porcupine Reservoir Company), and Smith and Morehouse (Summit County).  Lost Creek is the only one with an improved boat launch and none of them have courtesy docks.  You will have to get in and out of the boat from the shoreline.  And launching ANY vessel on Causey requires you to drag it or carry it to the water.
Bob, not sure when you were last at Smith and Morehouse but it does have a nice improved concrete launch ramp now. The last three miles or so before you get to the ramp is a gravel road however but the road was in good shape, when I fished there for kokanee last year. Very nice camp ground there too, it has been nicely upgraded.
Thanks for the update Curt. I haven't been there in years, but I did see some pictures of the launch area last year and they didn't show the improved launch ramp at S & M. My bad. I'm guessing they still don't have any docks though.
(07-08-2020, 05:40 PM)dubob Wrote:
(07-08-2020, 04:34 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
Thanks for the update Curt.  I haven't been there in years, but I did see some pictures of the launch area last year and they didn't show the improved launch ramp at S & M.  My bad.  I'm guessing they still don't have any docks though.
I can't remember if they have a wedge dock or not but the ramp is new. I'll have to look at the report I made about S & M but I guess it was july 2018.
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1046461