Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot times at Lincoln Beach 7-6-20
Met up with BLK for some antisocial distancing at Utah Lake...at Lincoln Beach.  After exchanging pleasantries and strategies we parted company...he to launch his kayak off the beach...me to launch at the ramp.  The plan was to try off the mouth of Benjamin Slough and then go north, south, east or west to find fish if necessary.  It was. 

BLK got one small cat at the mouth...then nothing.  I worked further out in water from 4 to 7 feet deep.  No fish, no bites, no errors.  So BLK headed back to an area closer to his launch spot where he had seen some fish coming out.  I moved further east...further away from what I assumed had been a heavily pounded area over the holiday weekend.  When we checked in by radio a while later, BLK had scored a couple more and I had just got my first...and then four more in quick succession.  I finally found "the zone"...lots of fish in a small area.

My sonar screen had been almost lifeless up until I got far enough away from the "fallout area" of the weekend recreation.  But then I started seeing lotsa fishy blips.  And my offerings were eagerly accepted for the next couple of hours.  I got bit in water as shallow as 3'.  But had consistent action in 4-5 feet.  Water visibility was pretty good for Utah Lake.

Water temp early was 73 and warmed steadily to almost 76 by the time the heat chased us off the water about 11ish.  We both ended up netting a few over 10 cats each.  Most were "cookie cutter" early twenties (inches).  A couple were  2 footers and a 25 incher or two in the mix. 

My first cat chomped a chunk of white bass meat.  But most of the others elected to dine on LHBE chub minnows (Left Handed Blue Eyed).  Some took plain minnow on a 3/0 hook.  Others liked a bit of bling and elected to take minnows impaled on big snarl flig rigs.  In the warming waters, all punched above their weight class and even though we didn't bring in any contest bumpers a good had was timed by all.  Or whatever.

On my way back to the ramp I noticed a group of DWR boats working around the mouth of Benjamin Slough.  I have seen them in there before.  They usually lay out some big funnel nets and then do a sampling of the species and sizes of fish in the area.  On one occasion I got to watch them launching carp into the air, well away from their boats.  Not sure if that was the prescribed "careful" release for carpkind, but it was fun to watch.

The highlight of my day came when I was shucking down my fishing togs and changing to traveling clothes in the men's room.  Someone had left a small jig laying on the floor and I stepped on it.  I felt the pain, but could not bend around far enough to see the culprit (jig).  I thought I may have stepped on a small piece of glass.  There was a small spot of blood when I stepped on the floor, but seemed to be nothing to scrape out.

I had no idea what it was until I got home and had my wife look at it.  She made a wifely face and said I was going to have to go to the emergency room and have it removed.  Won't divulge what I said.  She took a picture on her cell phone and showed me the embedded hook.  I tried to describe to her how to use the loop of line trick to pop it out.  Had to take her down to the computer and show her a few Utube demos and then made her a good solid loop of braided line and told her to go to it.  PAIN.  But no go.  The wimpy hook on the cheap jig (not one of mine) would only bend and not let go.  So I handed her a pair of long-nosed pliers and told her to use that instead...with the same concept except using more applied force.  OUCH.  But it came out.  So did a whole lotta blood for a few minutes.  Then...as I always do...I quit bleeding.  Put some antiseptic and a bandage over the wound and asked if I got a lollipop for being a big boy and not crying.  Had to wake up the fainted nurse first though.

Good seeing you on the water again, Lynn.  Hey, that rhymes.
[Image: FIRST-KITTY.jpg][Image: FOUND-SOME-FISH.jpg][Image: SNARL-RIG-KITTY.jpg][Image: MINNOW-MUNCHER.jpg][Image: 25-INCHER.jpg][Image: BLK-YAKKIN.jpg][Image: DWR-NETTING-CREW.jpg][Image: HEEL-HOOK.jpg]
Glad you got and got into the fish. Our power been out most of the day so I had to stay home and let the power folks in and out. Sure glad to have the ac back. Sorry bout your heel.
Yikes! Glad you are ok. I know everyone asks this, but I hope your tetanus booster is up to date!
Great story as usual Pat. Had a good chuckle.
Enjoyed fishun with ya today Pat. The 6 a.m. start was really nice but when 1100 rolled around the heat was too much to handle. We probably fished a mile or so apart but we still managed to find a few fish. I don't think I moved more that a few hundred yards from my truck but the cats were sure stacked in the small area I fished. Only caught one twenty-ish fish with the dark spawning coloration (aka blue cat), all the others were greenies.

Lots of this years hatchlings in water. Most of them had sense enough to seek cover in or near the reeds but also some out in deeper water. The grebes were everywhere and seemed to be doing very will snarfing up careless fry. I'm sure the cats, white bass, and others are eating really well now. Some of the big exhausted old spawned out male kitties are probably coming in close to the reeds for forage forays after dark. Might be time for some night shifts.

Ennyhow, a good day with good company and maybe the last for a few days with the predicted high winds. The chartreuse flig with a piece of carp worked best for me today. The fish hit hard and fought hard... had my kayak spinning a couple of times.

Kinda hurt to see that jig sunk in your hoof Pat. I have been limping since I saw it. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

To be continued...
(07-07-2020, 02:09 AM)_6x_ Wrote: Yikes!  Glad you are ok.  I know everyone asks this, but I hope your tetanus booster is up to date!
Yep.  I'm good.  Thanks for your concern.
I've heard that hooks are tough to get out of thick skinned people.
(07-07-2020, 04:52 AM)PACMEN Wrote: I've heard that hooks are tough to get out of thick skinned people.
I can verify that.
I hope the heel heals.

Yes, I am biguous.
Ya should have said something when you where dropping off those poles I didnt even see you limping,, I could have had that out in a second one way or another, I have had to do it before, had one of those slimers get me with a treble in the finger, darn things wont hold still, glad my daughter was with me to push down on the hook after I trimmed the other 2 hooks off, she was a trooper, did what I told her to get line off another pole, and the wire cutters, she wasn't to sure about pushing down on the hook, especially when I said you got to push down harder and she could see the grimmis on my face, but it popped right out, boy that sure felt good to get it out,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
The loop technique is money when done correctly, not so good if not. Just pulled out a #2 Treble from Brother hand a couple days ago big slimer zigged when he zagged and tagged him good. Once we got the lure and other hooks out of the way, with the proper alignment and pressure on the shank it popped right out no pain he put it back on the lure and started fishing again. LOL .....YOU MUST DO IT RIGHT
I hate to admit how many times it has been used to remove hooks from me and how many I have pulled out of other people and it has worked every time. Once on a 2/0 treble in a kids hand at the gorge.
Fishers should learn the technique, we used to practice at the shop on a Naugahyde covered cushion, it was pretty good substitute for skin and would work when done right and no if you did it wrong
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(07-07-2020, 01:19 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: Ya should have said something when you where dropping off those poles I didnt even see you limping,, I could have had that out in a second one way or another, I have had to do it before,  had one of those slimers get me with a treble in the finger, darn things wont hold still, glad my daughter was with me to push down on the hook after I trimmed the other 2 hooks off, she was a trooper, did what I told her to get line off another pole, and the wire cutters, she wasn't to sure about pushing down on the hook, especially when I said you got to push down harder and she could see the grimmis on my face, but it popped right out,  boy that sure felt good to get it out,
When we met up I still didn't know what I had in my foot.  It hurt like %$#@ when I stepped on it, but the pain subsided to "manageable" afterward.  But I couldn't get my foot turned around to see what it actually was.  I was thinking maybe a small piece of glass.  But I could deal with it.  Numb at both ends I guess.  And I think my long-suffering wife probably suffered more during the removal than I did.

Over the years I have performed multiple "hookectomies"...both on myself and others.  My all-time favorite was while I was living in Sacramento...and casting big flies for summer-run steelhead on the American River.  I was standing out in fairly strong current, in water about waist deep...slinging a big shooting head out into the flow coming out of Nimbus Dam.  A gust of wind (not a sloppy cast) caused the big fly to bury well past the barb in the flesh of my forearm.  Didn't know about the line loop method at that time.  So I took my long-nosed pliers, forced the hook point around and back out of my tender flesh and cut off the barb.   As I removed the now barbless fly, a trickle of blood ran down my arm.  The old guy who had been fishing near me...and who came over to see if he could help...turned green and sagged.  I grabbed him just in time to keep him from fainting and floating downstream.  After a tough "ferrying" job, I got him to shore and seated on a rock.  As reality returned, he blinked a few times and said "That was the damnedest thing I ever seen."

Having been a deck hand on several So Cal party boats, I have seen it all when it comes to hooks in various parts of the anatomy.  I never sneeze to be demazed at the ingenuity of fisherfolk when it comes to acquiring new "piercings".   Not many locations on the human body that I have not seen perforated by fish hooks.  Protruding body parts like fingers, ears and noses are common hook attractions.  Less commonly are lips, scalps, arms and legs.  But I've seen all of those punctured...even eyeballs.  Yuck.  Probably the worst have been been gaping scalp lacerations caused by errant backcasts of anglers using big jigs or spoons...ripping forward with lots of gusto.

One of the best was a large treble on a deep water jigging spoon...that had been left lying on a seat.  The good part was that the doofus who sat on it had about half a load on (drunk) and was being rude and obnoxious to both the other paying passengers and the deck hands.  Only a modest amount of righteousness...and a lack of opportunity...had kept me from tossing him overboard.  Then divine intervention happened.  A combination of the boat's rocking in the swells and the bozo's impaired equilibrium caused him to sit down suddenly...without looking where he sat.  We were miles out to sea, fishing a deep water rockfish bank, but I'm sure his reaction registered on the Richter scales on the mainland.  The best we could do for him...until we returned to the docks...was to cut off the other two barbs, remove the hook from the big jigging spoon and encourage him to take on more "anesthetic".

(07-07-2020, 11:59 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I hope the heel heals.

Yes, I am biguous.
And punny too.

(07-07-2020, 02:32 PM)Mildog Wrote: The loop technique is money when done correctly, not so good if not. Just pulled out a #2 Treble from Brother hand a couple days ago big slimer zigged when he zagged and tagged him good. Once we got the lure and other hooks out of the way, with the proper alignment and pressure on the shank it popped right out no pain he put it back on the lure and started fishing again. LOL .....YOU MUST DO IT RIGHT
I hate to admit how many times it has been used to remove hooks from me and how many I have pulled out of other people and it has worked every time. Once on a 2/0 treble in a kids hand at the gorge.
Fishers should learn the technique, we used to practice at the shop on a Naugahyde covered cushion, it was pretty good substitute for skin and would work when done right and no if you did it wrong
Right ye be.  Proper technique is important.  Especially the pushing down on the hook and a sudden sharp pull on the line.  A slow pull only creates more agony.  Oh yeah, it is not something you want to have someone else do for you if they are A. inexperienced or B. squeamish.  My wife was all of the above and could not make it work...even after showing her a couple of good videos on Utube.  In the end she used my long-nosed pliers, closed her eyes and just hauled it out.  Oweeeee.

Here is one good video for anyone wondering what this is all about.  HOOK REMOVAL
Sounds like a name change is in order. Instead of Tube Dude we should call you "Tough Dude".

Amazed that you made home with that thing buried in your foot.
(07-07-2020, 04:24 PM)fish_digger Wrote: Sounds like a name change is in order. Instead of Tube Dude we should call you "Tough Dude".

Like I said...numb at both ends.  I do have a pretty good tolerance for pain.  I've had a lot of experience.  What I don't got a tolerance for is human stupidity.  As my old buddy Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid".  Don't get me started on that.
(07-07-2020, 04:30 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 04:24 PM)fish_digger Wrote: Sounds like a name change is in order. Instead of Tube Dude we should call you "Tough Dude".

Like I said...numb at both ends.  I do have a pretty good tolerance for pain.  I've had a lot of experience.  What I don't got a tolerance for is human stupidity.  As my old buddy Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid".  Don't get me started on that.

Are you up to date on your tetanus shots?
(07-08-2020, 02:17 AM)fish_digger Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 04:30 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Are you up to date on your tetanus shots?
Yep.  Already answered that one.  Oh...you think that's different than tequila shots?
(07-07-2020, 11:59 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I hope the heel heals.

Yes, I am biguous.

Rocky, I never saw "biguous" used before. Had to look it up. Thanks; I'm very gruntled to learn something new.

P.S. I ran across this article during my research. Those of you who like wordplay should enjoy it.  https://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/14/magaz...couth.html
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Some word meanings are clear but some ar bitrary.
(07-09-2020, 06:53 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Some word meanings are clear but some ar bitrary.
And some change over time...with inflation.  Wonderful becomes twoderful or threederful, etc.  Forethought becomes fivethought.  Tough to keep up with the times...or is that "tough THREE keep up with the times"?