Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Challenging Day At The Berry 7/7
I hit the Berry with Jmorfish, pizzaman_288 and ComeFishCome! Today. We only boated 6 Kokes 1 Rainbow and a bunch of Cutts today between 5:30 am and 2 pm, we battled the wind starting at 9 this morning until we gave up this afternoon. We caught most of our fish near Sage Island. We fished a couple other spots as well, we metered a ton of fish near Bear Gulch but they didn’t want to play. The one highlight was that ComeFishCome! caught his first Kokanee. There was no particularly hot set up today we caught them on orange and pink, all the Kokes where good size with the first and largest a little over 20”. 45’ was our best depth.

Attached Files Image(s)

We were up there today as well. I didn't see you or I would have come over. we started just out from the marina and ended up clear to the north. we finally got our 8th kokanee at 11am and headed out as the wind was really starting to pick up. we caught ours in 36'-42'.
Yeah, this was probably the windiest day I've fished at Strawberry....started blowing about 0900, and only let up for about 10 minutes a couple times, 'til we pulled out....Very good to meet, and fish with, some great guys here on BFT...Obifishkenobi, ComefishCome, and PizzaMan....Tks again, Shawn, for sharing your boat with us....With that wind, I'd had to have been off the water about 0905 with my 16 footer, but his handled it well....just some things a bigger boat does well......'The Seas, They were Angry, My Friends'....but we still got a few fish to come play....
We could have had a party with all you guys there. I was there also with my wife. she does not like white caps so we did not stay to long 
I stopped in the wrong spot all I could catch was cuts did get some kokes to keep me there longer was the most cuts I have got in one day there this year. did get one big cut over 23" he was fun to bring in.  it was like drop the downrigger ball down and then reel in a cut.
most of the time if I'm catching cuts I leave but yesterday I stayed.    
not a lot of boats so maybe people are not catching a lot of kokes and staying home  are running out of money.
I was there Monday and Tuesday. Monday was calm and we caught 10 near Haws point and out to the east near the narrows. Had 4 that were only 10 inches and returned them very carefully. They recovered and swam away ok so I hope they survive to get bigger. We really struggled to keep the Cutts off and also spent a lot of time cleaning off the moss.

Tuesday did not go as well. Started off again near the opening of the north narrrows. Caught Cutts early and often batteries became weak fighting the wind. Did not land a single Koke. Saw large marks at 20 feet. Wondering if they were chubs because most Kokes caught Monday were around 42 ft.

I really like these for getting hooks off the Cutts without as much damage to the hooks and the fish.

[Image: DE7046-B7-3928-4-DBE-A04-F-385-AE5-C48-C9-E.jpg]
Saw large marks at 20 feet. Wondering if they were chubs

what you are seeing I think are chubs I'm seeing them also , with my fishfinder I can almost count how many are there.  
sometimes I think I see redside shiners bait-fish, maybe I need to buy a good net and see if I can catch some 
the bad thing is they go nuts when they see the boat 
Wow it was a BFT party. I was there both yesterday (Tuesday) and today. We did better yesterday though it was spotty. We got a double right at the start, then went a while, getting one here an there. We worked hard for the next 4, then got a triple and had to put one back. As we landed that last one, the white caps appeared and we headed in.
Today I was solo and found lots, but they did not want to bite. I got 2. I will be back again in the morning with my brother. fun times at the berry.