Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake 3 day mini vacation
Tuesday 7 July: Left home early heading south. My son and his wife live in old East Carbon (Sunnyside) and we met up at Springville at 0715. Son and I headed for LB, while our wives headed back to Sunnyside.  Son and I got on the water about 0800. Had a pretty stiff wind that was slowly moving around from out of the NE, to finally out of the NNW by the time we quit for the day. Only saw one other boat on the water all day. Because of the marginal high wind (not quite white caps, but good 2 foot rollers) we stayed within about 400 yards from the shore line. Mostly in 4 to 6.5 fow. Dropped anchor just beyond first spring. I had 2 small slabs of old cut carp from Bear River, and worms. Rigged up one pole with a chunk of carp and put it out in small bottom drop off. Started using my medium-light pole casting for white bass.  Son only had one pole with him and it was spooled with what looked like about 8 lb. mono. He got a few hits on a worm right away. Think they were carp. Then he got a hard rod bending hit. Took in about a dozen reel cranks, and his line snapped. Never saw what it was. I had him switch over to my second Cat pole with 50 lb. braid. Ok all that in the first 10 minutes. Then my heavy line reel started singing out.  Against the rolling waves and a bad attitude Cat, was able to net it and get it aboard. Dropped it on the measure stick, just under 24.5 inch. Not usable for Cat contest, so did a quick CPR.

[Image: 017-7-July-2020-LB.jpg]  [Image: 018-7-July-2020.jpg]

And that was the only boated fish and just about the last bite all day.  Called it a day about 1:30 and loaded up for the drive out to East Carbon. 

Wednesday 8 July:  Due to the distance from East Carbon to UL, we didn't get on the water until almost 1000. Wife and I elected to launch out of Provo State Park. Weather was just about perfect. Light cooling breeze, warm, no bugs, and very few other boats of any type, at least for the first hour or so. Started out around the marina jetty to the north, in 3 to 4 fow that was showing up lots of fish marks.  Anchor out at 10:20, wife gets first bite at 10:30. Mud cat, but a early skunk breaker........... Undecided  And that's all for her.  

[Image: 019-8-July-2020-Provo.jpg]   [Image: 020.jpg] 

Had used up all my old carp previous day, so all we had to start with was worms, and a selection of Gulp plastics hoping to entice a whitie to donate it's services as bait. Nope, didn't see one all week.  Did manage to boat another Cat that was just under the size I needed to bump my Cat score.   Confused

[Image: 021-8-July-Provo-24-0-inch.jpg]

Thursday 9 July:  Last planned day to fish. Got on water out of American Fork at 8:15. Motored around to river, set up within about 50 yards of the rock pile at the river mouth, each of us with one worm baited line out on the bottom, and one line casting various Gulp plastics, and mixture of fligs, jigs, grubs, worms. Bite was slow, and no white bass were interested. Wife eventually caught 2 Cats and one Bull Head, and I boated 1 Cat.  

[Image: 024-0940-Nancy-s-1.jpg]  [Image: 026-1025-Nancy-s-2.jpg]  [Image: 027-1125-Forest-s-1.jpg]

Departed AF about 2 p.m.  Wasn't the best ever fish catching we have done at UL, but we avoided skunks and enjoyed  the time away from home and on the water.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Looks like I ran from you, South to otter creek. We missed each other on coinsiding days. Glad you didn't get skunked but sorry it wasn't better. I've struggled anchoring up this year on UL as we've only been catching 1-3 a trip in 22-24" range. Best part is you are safe and you made home ok.