Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slower than last week Willard report.
We got there later in the morning since of of the boat trailer tires decided to come apart. Not on the freeway doing 75 mph thank goodness. We noticed it yesterday morning and had to wait until the tire shop opened at 8AM. We were on the road by 9AM. 

Pulled into the south marina around 10:30 Am got through the Mussel check and on the water by around 11AM. 

We started off soaking some mussels in the area we caught the wipers last week. I should have known we wouldn't have any hits when the bottom was clear of any fish but we wanted to see if we could pull some in. after an hour we bailed and headed to the north dike. We trolled the north dike from the first corner to about half way to the light pole without catching anything we did have a few smallies try to ambush the lure a few times but got know love from the catfish or walleye. Reeled up and trolled the last little bit of the north dike and down the west dike without a bite either. 

I turned my attention to open water and came across hundreds of mergansers. We trolled the edges of them watching the terns diving in after the trillions of shad now in the water. Then it finally happened my wifes rod started singing that wonderful sound of a big wiper on. I through down a mark on the GPS and turned on tracking we started trolling again and I did a big loop and trolled through the same area and zing number two was on and yes it was the wifes rod again. We trolled the area the rest of the afternoon and after switching to a diver out on a planner board I got hit but it was short lived and the fish got off. 

Directly behind the board it created a feeding frenzy for about 30 seconds. I was hoping they would pop back up but they never did. 

As I was bringing in my board to reset the wife hurries and drops a mussel to the bottom and as soon as it hit bottom wiper number three starts ripping drag off the wifes reel. She gets that fish in and I am feeling like I am just out there to net fish for the day by now. That's ok. She was netting a bunch of fish for me the week before. Karma I guess or just lucky, She loves to fish as much as I do and it was fun to see here wrestling these fish to the net. 

We decided to fish mussels in the area for a bit and we did get plenty of hits for about 45 minutes but they would just take the mussles of leaving us to re-bait many times. 

By now the sun is getting low so we decide to troll and look for boils and see how the rest of the day would treat us. Tug goes the wifes pole and a nice 19" inch walleye in the net. Little while longer and my rod loads up another walleye but a 13" walleye is my first fish to the boat for the day. Started trolling again and my rod loads up with a much nicer walleye. I get it right to the boat and that sucker spit the bait right before it hit the net. Looked to be another 18-19" walleye and it sucked to loose it. 

The end of the day with 3 big wipers, 2 walleye And oh yeah. A catfish the wife caught earlier right after her big walleye. 

Overall a tough day catching we did have quite a few hits that never hooked up and the hits on the bait. So slow yes but searching and staying on the fish once we found some paid off. I only got these few pictures this time. 

Lure of choice was #5 black and silver rattlin rapala with 3 oz. snap weight. We don't have line counters so the lure was about 50-75 feet back with a five second count drop on the snap weight. We trolled at 2.2-2.7 mph. 21' of water. 

[Image: IMG-20200711-155314.jpg][Image: IMG-4397.jpg] [Image: IMG-4392.jpg]
Nice report Tony, sure glad to hear someone is catching more than one wiper per trip. How long was the biggest wiper?
Well done.  Happy wife...happy life.  But it sure is tough sometimes putting out a lure without a hook on your line just so your wife can be top rod.
(07-12-2020, 08:51 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice report Tony, sure glad to hear someone is catching more than one wiper per trip. How long was the biggest wiper?
Probably around 21-22" it weighed 5.38 lbs the other two were around 20" 4.0+ Sure wish we could have got them going on the bait. they moved off on use pretty quick but that's what they do.

When you getting back out?

(07-12-2020, 09:46 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Well done.  Happy wife...happy life.  But it sure is tough sometimes putting out a lure without a hook on your line just so your wife can be top rod.
Ssssshhhh!  Wink

Seriously though it is sure weird the way it works at times. same lure same amount of line out and one gets all the fish. 

fnf Cool
(07-13-2020, 11:01 PM)fishinfool Wrote:  same lure same amount of line out and one gets all the fish. 

fnf Cool

Without line counter reels, how do you know you had the same amount of line out? Depth can make all the difference, so a having more or less line out, could change everything. Even with line counter reels, each reel and how much line is on the reel will change what the counter reads.

Not planning on hitting Willard this week, going after kokanee.
(07-14-2020, 12:08 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 11:01 PM)fishinfool Wrote:  same lure same amount of line out and one gets all the fish. 

fnf Cool

Without line counter reels, how do you know you had the same amount of line out? Depth can make all the difference, so a having more or less line out, could change everything. Even with line counter reels, each reel and how much line is on the reel will change what the counter reads.

Not planning on hitting Willard this week, going after kokanee.
Same method as the snap weights. Start counting when letting out. I assume they are pretty close that way. Since we were both using spin cast reels. It has worked very well in the past. I have been looking at these anyone using them? [b]Okuma MA-30DLXT New Magda Linecounter Reel, Left Hand[/b]
Mine are older models but those are the ones I use too, great valve for the price and they last a very long time. 
I use the counting method too, when not using line counter reel but each one of us counts at a different pace, so it's easy to be off by a few feet, if not yards. The thing to remember is being consistent, unless you are putting out both her and your rods, her counting could be slightly different, causing her rods to be deeper or more shallow than yours. If you are putting out all the rods, then I've no more ideas as to why she was catching most of the fish and you weren't.