Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bigger Laker at the Gorge
About two weeks ago my family and I went trolling at Flaming Gorge in hopes of a bigger Lake trout. That Saturday we caught five or six dragging blades along the bottom. Using the same technique, the next day, I caught a bigger one around 20 pounds or upper teens. I was a fun fight and the biggest fish I've ever caught!

Here's the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YfWcFbRiq0
Great video. The chest view angle of fighting the fish is pretty intense. What a gorgeous day to be out!
Nice job! Thanks for sharing the video...that looked like a lot of fun....Guluk...
you guys get around, I don't see a downrigger how do you get down to the bottom with your lures.
me I fish a lot in water that is 100 feet deep and the big lakers are on the bottom this time of year.
(07-13-2020, 12:36 PM)liketrolling Wrote: you guys get around, I don't see a downrigger how do you get down to the bottom with your lures.
me I fish a lot in water that is 100 feet deep and the big lakers are on the bottom this time of year.
I would guess that with those reels, they are fishing with either steel or copper wire for line and then add a couple of ounces of lead at the terminal end of the line (seen in the end of the video).  Using steel/copper wire requires letting out 500 feet or more of line which accounts for the larger reels.
From the video, it appears to be Braided line on Mooching style reels with what I would guess to be 8 oz plus of lead, you will see there are 2 pretty big banana sinkers attached ahead of the blades. Braid has less resistance so with the added weight it would get down deep.
Cool video !
Mildog
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I'm not a big fan of  steel or copper wire and 500 feet out.
one time I was fishing for big lakers about 20 boats where I was at, this one boat came behind me turned sharp the way I was pointing, I just hooked into a 30 lb laker looked up and this guy is jumping up and down waving his arms I can't tell what he is saying.  I reach down and bring the downrigger ball up while I'm reeling the laker in, when the ball gets up I see his wire on, so I take the ball off get his wire free then go back to reeling in the laker.
he looked like one mad guy.  but he should not have been there with that wire line. he should have stayed on the out side.
Well done!
I subscribe to your YouTube channel, and enjoy watching your fishing adventures.
(07-12-2020, 11:37 PM)fishnotphish Wrote: Great video. The chest view angle of fighting the fish is pretty intense. What a gorgeous day to be out!
thank you, and it was!

(07-13-2020, 03:27 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Nice job!  Thanks for sharing the video...that looked like a lot of fun....Guluk...
thank you!

(07-13-2020, 06:03 PM)BSF Wrote: Well done!
I subscribe to your YouTube channel, and enjoy watching your fishing adventures.
Thank you!

(07-13-2020, 03:26 PM)Mildog Wrote: From the video, it appears to be Braided line on Mooching style reels with what I would guess to be 8 oz plus of lead, you will see there are  2 pretty big banana sinkers attached ahead of the blades. Braid has less resistance so with the added weight it would get down deep.
Cool video !
Mildog
Yep, Dacron! Along with an Alvey reel!
I enjoyed watching your video. Unless you don't want to share what did you have on the end of your line (lure, bait or whatever)?
I'm curious what was on the terminal end also.  It appeared to be a white hoochie or something.
Looked like a minnow to me. I have had some success with Macs, doing that at the Gorge, Bear Lake and Fish lake. An old timer I used to fish with showed me that set-up. He sometimes used the old wooden "paddle" and copper line back in the day ! Whatever it takes to get down where they are.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(07-16-2020, 01:29 AM)Mildog Wrote: Looked like a minnow to me. I have had some success with Macs, doing that at the Gorge, Bear Lake and Fish lake. An old timer I used to fish with showed me that set-up. He sometimes used the old wooden "paddle" and copper line back in the day ! Whatever it takes to get down where they are.
You are correct!