Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banker's Hours at the Berry
Had a relaxing and lazy weekend at our camp up at Strawberry, Soldier Creek. My wife had a tough week at work so we didn't even leave home until afternoon on Saturday. My fishing partner was wanting to go fishing in the morning and then my wife decided she wanted to go also but after a late campfire they didn't want to get up "too early". This was not to be a Robert like story of multiple limits by 8:00 am. We hit the water about 8:00 and proceeded to catch fish at a slow but steady pace for the next 3 1/2 hours. We ended the day with 8 nice kokes and a couple of happy ladies. You can tell from the pics which one really loves catching fish! (notice towel)  Rolleyes
   We fished the Soldier Creek side and I did not really find a hot color. We caught fish on every rod between 35 and 55 feet down and on purple, pink, orange, and white. While the bite was a bit slow the fish that hit were the most aggressive I've seen this year. Every one of them snatched it out of the down rigger, jumping and stripping drag. There's nothing like fishing on a beautiful calm day and having a 3 or 4 pound koke launch out of the water 25 feet behind the boat them scrambling to figure out which rod it's on. 

[Image: image000000-6.jpg][Image: image000001-6.jpg]

[Image: image000002-6.jpg]
Sunrise on the water
I love that, all hands and one all towel
you have some good looking girls there you are one lucky guy.
way to go.  

it shows not to listen to me you start at 8 and still do good.
(07-13-2020, 05:34 PM)liketrolling Wrote: I love that, all hands and one all towel
you have some good looking girls there you are one lucky guy.
way to go.  

it shows not to listen to me you start at 8 and still do good.
  Well, now my wife says there's no excuse to go early since we caught fish. I told her we would have caught 3 limits if we had gone early but she thinks what we got is good enough.  Confused
Sunrise on the water
Happy to hear you all did well. Indeed it is a great day when you can be together on the boat catching dinner. We did not come prepared with what we needed to have much success although I did catch my personal best Cutthroat while hucking a Thomas Boyant at the shallow structure out of aspen grove.
I spent some time on the river, it's a shame, all of the silt and muck. From the fires I suspect. Hiked far downstream, didn't get away from it. Thankfully the beavers have built dams and are providing decent deep holding places below food and oxygen providing riffles.
All in all, the fishing was great, but the catching, not so much.
The new (to me) kayak performed as expected, the rod holders and depth sounder rack will need a few tweaks to simplify but are acceptable.