Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge Help
Heading up to the Gorge this weekend for the first time this year. Anyone have any recent info on where I should start looking for the bigger kokes? Normally on the Wyoming side this time of year but any info would be appreciated.
Sunrise on the water
(07-14-2020, 04:24 PM)WET1 Wrote: Heading up to the Gorge this weekend for the first time this year. Anyone have any recent info on where I should start looking for the bigger kokes? Normally on the Wyoming side this time of year but any info would be appreciated.
We were there last week and our experience fishing for kokes and our experience was not great. We fished a number of places from Hideout on the south to just below the confluence out of Buckboard. This was the poorest we have ever done at the Gorge for kokes. Talking with other anglers we found similar stories. Occasionally we would talk with someone that had found some cooperative fish. I also talked with a Dwr biologist from Dutch John that indicated that this has been a strange year. He said he had done best fishing near the dam trolling close to he points and ledges.  He also said he had success jigging for kokes when he found them grouped up. I think if I were going to the Gorge this week I would put a line of two out with Koke rigs but would focus more on fishing for rainbows, lake trout, or even bass. For what it’s worth. Good luck.
There doesn’t seem to be any “special sauce” this year. You can fish back to back days of basically identical weather and the fish will bite completely different lures each day, like a different scent each day, etc. It’s been quite maddening but I guess fun at the same time. With 2 people in the boat and 4 rods, we’re changing lures about every 45 minutes if that setup doesn’t get any action. About the only thing consistent for me has been orange in the morning and then it becomes obsolete by mid morning.
I we be up there this weekend too. I plan to cover the same area as patchydog. I'll try to post as the action does or doesn't happen. I'm feeling pretty low, because I talked friends into going and claimed July was a great month for kokes. Ooopppps
(07-14-2020, 05:27 PM)POk3s Wrote: There doesn’t seem to be any “special sauce” this year. You can fish back to back days of basically identical weather and the fish will bite completely different lures each day, like a different scent each day, etc. It’s been quite maddening but I guess fun at the same time. With 2 people in the boat and 4 rods, we’re changing lures about every 45 minutes if that setup doesn’t get any action. About the only thing consistent for me has been orange in the morning and then it becomes obsolete by mid morning.
Thanks guys. Think we'll just run north until we find them.
Sunrise on the water
(07-14-2020, 04:24 PM)WET1 Wrote: Heading up to the Gorge this weekend for the first time this year. Anyone have any recent info on where I should start looking for the bigger kokes? Normally on the Wyoming side this time of year but any info would be appreciated.
It was slow for me last Saturday for Kokes north of Buckboard. We got one and lost one on several jumps. The Lake trout did keep us busy. We filled up a cooler with pups and let this 12 pounder back. They were hitting the squids just as quick as the Cutts at the berry. We found out from some at the fish cleaning station that the Kokes were feeding shallow around 20-30ft again very early. That is weird for this time of year for FG. I had the downriggers from 40 to 60. I was also told by the locals that they are spread out all over the place and harder to find. I am in agreement with that.  There were a whole bunch of jet skis and the power Squadron was out in full force.  I am pretty sure this affects the fishing, just from past experience. Wish I had more weekdays off to fish.
[Image: EAD5-E0-BE-2-CA9-41-F3-AF15-4-CA6-CEC8-DC1-E.jpg]
(07-14-2020, 06:13 PM)fryman1 Wrote:
It was slow for me last Saturday for Kokes north of Buckboard. We got one and lost one on several jumps. The Lake trout did keep us busy. We filled up a cooler with pups and let this 12 pounder back. They were hitting the squids just as quick as the Cutts at the berry. We found out from some at the fish cleaning station that the Kokes were feeding shallow around 20-30ft again very early. That is weird for this time of year for FG. I had the downriggers from 40 to 60. I was also told by the locals that they are spread out all over the place and harder to find. I am in agreement with that.  There were a whole bunch of jet skis and the power Squadron was out in full force.  I am pretty sure this affects the fishing, just from past experience. Wish I had more weekdays off to fish.

Thank you very much for some extremely helpful info. I have read several times and experienced myself at Strawberry that there is something about the noise jetskis make that really shuts down the kokes. 

Was there any setup in particular that seemed to work well on the pups?
Sunrise on the water
Last Tuesday we fished north of Buckboard and did well, 27’ on the wire was the best depth but got them as shallow as 20’, I would suggest looking in 54’ of water or less and close to the structure/shore, boat traffic will move them in also. Orange and pink squids worked well for us as did the gold apex
Thanks for the tips also, it's been 5 plus years since I've been to the gorge. The change of scenery from strawberry will be a big bonus. We be hitting the road in 8 hours. FISH ON !!!
(07-14-2020, 06:27 PM)WET1 Wrote:

Thank you very much for some extremely helpful info. I have read several times and experienced myself at Strawberry that there is something about the noise jetskis make that really shits down the kokes. 

They liked the pink and silver 5 in dodger and the orange squid back about 10 inches tipped with white Berkeley maggots. Anchovy smelly jelly for the scent and 60 ft down. 
(07-15-2020, 12:05 PM)2knots Wrote: Last Tuesday we fished north of Buckboard and did well, 27’ on the wire was the best depth but got them as shallow as 20’, I would suggest looking in 54’ of water or less and close to the structure/shore, boat traffic will move them in also. Orange and pink squids worked well for us as did the gold apex
  Thanks for the great info 2knots, much appreciated.

(07-15-2020, 04:58 PM)fryman1 Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 06:27 PM)WET1 Wrote:

Thank you very much for some extremely helpful info. I have read several times and experienced myself at Strawberry that there is something about the noise jetskis make that really shits down the kokes. 

They liked the pink and silver 5 in dodger and the orange squid back about 10 inches tipped with white Berkeley maggots. Anchovy smelly jelly for the scent and 60 ft down. 

Sounds good fryman1, thank you
Sunrise on the water
Back to workSad Want to thank those with the helpful information. Koke fishing was slow as stated. We did manage 6 keeper's. I found that color and dodger choice wasn't the issue. Finding them was. Depth was the biggest problem to handle. In the morning it started at around 35, then proceeded to change every half hour until we reached 60 feet. Then it would shut off completely. It was like they slowly moved down the water column by the minute. Like I said first light at 35 feet "fish on" then nothing, drop to 45 "fish on" then nothing, drop 55 "fish on", then the story book would close for the day at 10 am. Some weird fishing.
[Image: IMG-20200719-070250.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200718-100230.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200717-163313.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200717-100258.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200717-082345.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200717-075939.jpg]
(07-20-2020, 02:54 PM)BROWNBAGGN Wrote: Back to workSad Want to thank those with the helpful information. Koke fishing was slow as stated. We did manage 6 keeper's. I found that color and dodger choice wasn't the issue. Finding them was. Depth was the biggest problem to handle. In the morning it started at around 35, then proceeded to change every half hour until we reached 60 feet. Then it would shut off completely. It was like they slowly moved down the water column by the minute. Like I said first light at 35 feet "fish on" then nothing, drop to 45 "fish on" then nothing, drop 55 "fish on", then the story book would close for the day at 10 am. Some weird fishing.
[Image: IMG-20200719-070250.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200718-100230.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200717-163313.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200717-100258.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200717-082345.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200717-075939.jpg]

Found very similar tough fishing conditions. When we did catch one it was a good quality fish though. I wish it was closer as I do really love the Gorge.

[Image: image000000-7.jpg]
Sunrise on the water
Good looking kokes, glad you guys found a few. “Weird year” is about the only way you can sum it up!