Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
CAST for Kids event
Just checking in to see who all on here is helping out with the CAST for Kids event on 8/1. This will be my first year and I'm excited to help out. I'll be taking the pontoon boat and hope to be able to show the kids a good time.
I've only made it to Strawberry once so far this year and stayed on the Strawberry side. Any tips for anything that is working on the Soldier Creek side recently would be helpful.
I do have 2 downriggers on the back, but the clutch doesn't seem to be holding as well on the one side, and they are harder to get to so I may try some jigging or bait fishing off the front where the kids can get to better.
No response? Anyone else from this group helping out with this event next week?
(07-23-2020, 04:50 PM)addicted2fishin Wrote: No response? Anyone else from this group helping out with this event next week?
I have never done that, I use to volunteer my time with the DAV event that Wet1 use to host at Strawberry  but the VA kind of blew that off after a few years. I appreciated all the time that Todd (Wet1) devoted to that and know he was very disappointed when the VA decided not to participate any more, it was a Sad day for the Disabled Vets.
(07-16-2020, 09:01 PM)addicted2fishin Wrote: Just checking in to see who all on here is helping out with the CAST for Kids event on 8/1. This will be my first year and I'm excited to help out. I'll be taking the pontoon boat and hope to be able to show the kids a good time.
I've only made it to Strawberry once so far this year and stayed on the Strawberry side. Any tips for anything that is working on the Soldier Creek side recently would be helpful.
I do have 2 downriggers on the back, but the clutch doesn't seem to be holding as well on the one side, and they are harder to get to so I may try some jigging or bait fishing off the front where the kids can get to better.
I’ve gone the past 2 years and will be headed up to help again this year. It is usually a little later in August so I’m hoping this year the kokes will be a little more active.  In years past I’ve caught kokes and cutts on pink, green, or orange squids, 35-50ft deep. I’ve been chasing lakers at the gorge for most of the year and have only made it to strawberry a few times. The kokes seem to be scattered out more than years past but the cutts always want to play. I’ll be there early in a white Lund/red Chevy if you need to borrow anything. Good luck!
(07-24-2020, 01:35 AM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 04:50 PM)addicted2fishin Wrote: No response? Anyone else from this group helping out with this event next week?
I have never done that, I use to volunteer my time with the DAV event that Wet1 use to host at Strawberry  but the VA kind of blew that off after a few years. I appreciated all the time that Todd (Wet1) devoted to that and know he was very disappointed when the VA decided not to participate any more, it was a Sad day for the Disabled Vets.

I have wanted to do the DAV event, but my boat always needed repairs. When I finally had a dependable boat, they cancelled the DAV event. I wanted to do this last year but missed out. My neighbor went and loved it. 
Last I heard they were still looking for more boat volunteers......

(07-24-2020, 03:37 AM)bLUNDer Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 09:01 PM)addicted2fishin Wrote: Just checking in to see who all on here is helping out with the CAST for Kids event on 8/1. This will be my first year and I'm excited to help out. I'll be taking the pontoon boat and hope to be able to show the kids a good time.
I’ve gone the past 2 years and will be headed up to help again this year. It is usually a little later in August so I’m hoping this year the kokes will be a little more active.  In years past I’ve caught kokes and cutts on pink, green, or orange squids, 35-50ft deep. I’ve been chasing lakers at the gorge for most of the year and have only made it to strawberry a few times. The kokes seem to be scattered out more than years past but the cutts always want to play. I’ll be there early in a white Lund/red Chevy if you need to borrow anything. Good luck!

I have a few squids for kokes. I'm hoping I can get my one downrigger fixed (a manual Scotty) as the clutch doesn't seem to hold well. Going to see if I can figure that out today. I'm also prepared to jig or bait fish if needed, just to get the kids into some fish. 
The last notice said they are meeting at the Soldier Creek ram. Just so I'm clear, do they mean the one on the NorthWest side of Soldier Creek, not the one down by the marina / dam?
I'll be in a blue and grey F350 with a 24' Party Barge. My neighbor should also be there with a black Chevy and his red 20' pontoon. If I remember to grab them I'll have my Motorola GMRS radios set on channel 20 20. 
Here's hoping to show those kids a fun time!