Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry from shore - Any current reports?
I'm planning on taking my son, a friend, and his 15-yr. old grandson out to Strawberry Sat. morning.  If anyone has a recent shore report, I'd really appreciate it.  Sounds like the fish were still in close, at least early, last week off the Soldier Creek dam, but if anyone has a more recent report, I'd be all ears.  May take up the new toon as well, and my friend has a canoe, so if the wind cooperates, we may get to use those a bit.  Thanks all!
Today I fished with a co-worker and his 8 yr old grandson. We fished for kokanee out in the boat for a few hours and got 3 kokes and turned back a bunch of cutts. Then things went dead for half hour and the 8 yr old started asking how long before we go home. I suggested we motor down to where horse creek comes in, beach the boat and fish with power bait from shore. In 45 minutes we got 2 decent rainbows and 2 cutts in the slot. I hate catching cutts on bait - had to cut the line just above the hook to let them go. I then put on a fly behind the bubble and got a nice cutt (easily released). This was all between 10 and 11 am, so not bad fishing - the boy even got one on his snoopy pole. The good thing about horse creek is you can park on the road and walk down a trail to the lake - no boat needed. There seemed to be quite a few fish in there and I saw no other shore fishermen/women. This was today (Thursday) so there might be more people there on Saturday. Good luck.
Thanks Brookie, I really appreciate the info. Maybe we'll give that a try. Plan on fishing from around 6:30am till noon, so maybe it won't be a zoo...early anyway. Were you dragging a dry or wet fly? Thanks again - I'll let you know how we do.
Purple woolly bugger.
Well, the fishing wasn't what I'd hope for, but that was partially my fault - I didn't find the deeper water until later in the morning, and I think, had we been there, we would have at least doubled or tripled our catch. Not being familiar with Horse Creek, we tried a couple spots first that just turned out to be too shallow. There were some dish there, but not alot. By the time we got to deeper water about a mile from the road, it was around 10am and the morning bite was slowing. We were done fishing at noon.

Ended up catching 4 and losing one. Caught one 19" cut dragging a black woolybugger with an orange cone head and lost another. Caught a 15" bow dropping a worm about 3" below a clear bubble. Caught 2 other bows about 17" on rainbow candy and corn powerbait. It was a beautiful morning, and now, I know where to go for next time!
[Image: 20200718-113623.jpg]

[Image: 20200718-091206.jpg]
Glad you got some. Wish there was a better way to go down the south side of horse creek. When I beach the boat there the south side is softer so I use that side. We even found them right up near the shore. Anyway fun place for rainbow.