Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Dock at Glendale
So, I dont know how many of you have been to Glendale in the last 2 years and tried to use the boat dock there, but, the ramp has sat in about 2 ft of water, the boards on the ramp were broken and slick and hard to use. and when you backed your boat down to unload it, you actually backed off the cement ramp into the mud with both the boat trailer and your truck. I complained to F&G a year ago and they promised to fix it. But, when I went back this year in early June, it had not been fixed so I called the Southeast region of F&G and complained again.  Once again it didnt get fixed when I was back a month later so I called F&G again.

I got the run around from the Fisheries Biologist once again saying it wasnt F&G dock it was canal companies and they werent going to spend any money on the dock because it wasnt theirs.  I went the rounds with him as he was new within the last year in Pocatello and I enlightened him that I did know what I was talking about because I had been in on the ground floor in discussions with the canal company, F&G and many other publics several years back.  He still really didnt want to hear it from me, so I figured it was a dead issue.

The part that the fishery biologist didnt know is that I had sent an e-mail to the F&G State Director prior to my 2nd phone call to the F&G SE Regional Office.  I finally told him that right at the end of my call.

Well, I thought it was a dead issue anyhow because I hadnt heard anything from the State Director.  Well, 2 days ago, I got an email from the State Director of F&G and guess what?  The ramp etc had been fixed by F&G.  I was amazed and impressed at the work that they did on the ramp. I have attached a couple pictures of the ramp/dock prior to fixing and after it has been fixed.

Also, here is what the State Director told me in his reply e-mail, "Rick,IDFG’s Southeast Region boating access staff have addressed the accessibility issue to the boat dock at Gendale Reservoir. Access management responsibilities at Glendale are shared among the Irrigation District, the County and IDFG. The dock at Glendale is provided by the County, as such the “transition” from land to the dock was not formally considered part of our obligations. Regardless, it needed to be addressed and I am pleased with the local staff’s timely and professional response. I hope this adequately addresses your concerns.

Thank you.
Ed

Well, I guess the old adage of the squeaky wheel gets the grease in this case worked and I appreciate what F&G did even though it took a while.  I did address this as a safety issue to which it was at the time and I am surprised no one got seriously injured prior to getting fixed. Before and after pictures. I hope everyone enjoys the new set up and that some idiot doesnt end up destroying the hard work put into some nice new docks.

[Image: output1.jpg]

[Image: output3.jpg]

[Image: updated-boat-dock-glendale.jpg]
Nice, glad to something done about your complaint.
(07-17-2020, 04:08 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Nice, glad to something done about your complaint.
I'm just glad that something was done to help the entire community of users, not just fishermen, but, swimmers, boaters, sightseers, etc. It's just Sad that when issues like this come up that it has to be elevated to the State level to get something fixed that easily could have been taken care of with the simple replacement of just 2 boards instead it took a lot more pressure to get it fixed after 2 years.  But, if that is what it takes, so be it, but, I just hope in the future that the local offices can take care of public safety issues instead of having to get the State Director involved. Safety first no matter what and no matter who has to take care of it.
Any word about the mud ramp?
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(08-16-2020, 09:10 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Any word about the mud ramp?
Not sure what you are calling the mud ramp?  But, Glendale closes on Aug. 23 for the year. Sad but true.  Fall fishing on Glendale and other reservoirs owned by CIC canal company is just getting ramped up for some great fall fishing but we dont have that any more due to their ill placed restrictions on sportsman and boaters.
I intended to ask if there was anything planned for improving the cement ramp .
Good fishing to all.   Hue
So does it close for boats or for all fishing in general on the 23rd? Are all lakes in that area the same for the closure?
(08-17-2020, 09:22 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: So does it close for boats or for all fishing in general on the 23rd? Are all lakes in that area the same for the closure?
The reservoirs owned by CIC canal company which if i remember right are Glendale, Johnson, Lamont and Foster will be closed to all boats for fishing.  You can fish from the banks if you can get to some of them.  I dont know what the status of Twin Lakes is because I havent heard as it is owned by the Twin Lakes canal company.

And to answer the question about improving the cement ramp.  I have no idea since it is basically under control by the canal company and was, as I was told, put in with grant monies by the county and F&G on land owned by the canal company.  The ramp is actually good and goes a long way down, its the boat dock that needs to be realigned to fit the ramp which I dont know if any one will do anything with it or not.

Glendale is really a big mess since no one really wants to take real ownership of it and really just pass the buck. I was just lucky I think to get the attention I did due to a real Safety Issue and I thank F&G for finally taking care of it. I think for the most part, we are going to have to live with what there is at Glendale and other reservoirs now. 

I hope this helped some with the fishing and ramp information.  I will try to find out more on Twin Lakes if it is open to boats still or if it's going to continue for a while.
That's a big help, I'd like to get over there and fish a bit in the summer, but probably won't make it this year. So I'll have to try and make another trip over for ice fishing.
(08-18-2020, 03:24 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: That's a big help, I'd like to get over there and fish a bit in the summer, but probably won't make it this year. So I'll have to try and make another trip over for ice fishing.
Here is the link to what is going on at Twin Lakes and a couple of other reservoirs managed by the Twin Lakes Canal Company.  You can have your boat inspected right at Twin Lakes without having to go to Franklin to get it done by the State Inspection folks. It still costs but not what it does at Glendale and you can still pick up some pretty good bass, crappie, blue gill and trout.  Weekends generally get hit hard with skiers, wake boards etc but go early and like most, it's pretty good sailing.

Twin goes until September 4 so you have some time to hit the water there and get in some good fishing. Only draw back is they dont open the water to boats until 7 am and close at 7 pm.

http://twinlakescanalcompany.com/recreation.html

G
ood luck if you go over there.