Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat trailer issue...serious
Well, I screwed up..blew some bearings on my older (probably 1974) single axle boat trailer...several trailer places I've contacted say bearings/hub is obsolete, and can't get... spindle end scratched too bad also, so I have to get a replacement axle, with modern hubs...All places I've talked to say 4 to 6 weeks to get the axle, and that's not even a guarantee...Any of you have any connections/thoughts on finding an older style (4"drop) boat trailer axle? My boat is anxious, I'm anxious!...PM is great if there's any phone # or business names ...REALLY appreciate any help...
Not exactly shur if thay have boat trailer axels but check state trailer supply
(07-23-2020, 03:10 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Well, I screwed up..blew some bearings on my older (probably 1974) single axle boat trailer...several trailer places I've contacted say bearings/hub is obsolete, and can't get... spindle end scratched too bad also, so I have to get a replacement axle, with modern hubs...All places I've talked to say 4 to 6 weeks to get the axle, and that's not even a guarantee...Any of you have any connections/thoughts on finding an older style (4"drop) boat trailer axle? My boat is anxious, I'm anxious!...PM is great if there's any phone # or business names ...REALLY appreciate any help...
I recently had to replace mine and yes, 4-6 weeks. I called everywhere and ended up going to Williamson-Ocean.
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
Have you tried TJ Trailer supply on Pennsylvania Ave in Ogden? 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Pictures pleas. They would be a huge help in seeing exactly what you are up against and help us brainstorm a solution. Welders and grinders can do wonderful things with steel.
Try calling farm supply places. They carry axels and wheels at some places. May be bigger than you need but is another option for ya. Good luck
Looks like you have plenty of recommendations. I would just say to look at online stores like etrailer.com that have axles and hubs. Also, I would look at and check out the E-Z lube, or superlube type of hubs that are designed for service lubing without dissassembly. I've had this type for years and they have worked well. Good luck!
(07-23-2020, 03:10 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Well, I screwed up..blew some bearings on my older (probably 1974) single axle boat trailer...several trailer places I've contacted say bearings/hub is obsolete, and can't get... spindle end scratched too bad also, so I have to get a replacement axle, with modern hubs...All places I've talked to say 4 to 6 weeks to get the axle, and that's not even a guarantee...Any of you have any connections/thoughts on finding an older style (4"drop) boat trailer axle? My boat is anxious, I'm anxious!...PM is great if there's any phone # or business names ...REALLY appreciate any help...

I would call Advantage Auto in Orem. 560 N 100 W Orem UT 84057  801-224-6162. They stock 600 axles and might just have the one you need. I got a snowmobile trailer axle from them earlier this year and I was very happy I didn't have to order it and wait a few weeks. I also thought their price was very fair and not much more than online prices. Let us know if they have what you need.
The same thing happened to me back in June coming home from Willard Bay.  I had a hard time finding the exact axle to fit my trailer. I ended up going to boattrailerparts.com and found a perfect match. They're located in Florida, but I received it in 6 days and it is free shipping. I highly recommend them if you can't find anything local. I tried that first, but they were twice the price and a month out. 

http://boattrailerparts.com
(800)464‐1487

Good luck,
Wayne
I can second what Wayne said. I needed new bunk brackets for my Yacht Club trailer several years ago. Boat Trailer Parts in Florida was only place I could find them. Don't remember the exact price, but they were fair, available, shipped for free and only took 6 days.  

Also, if you need new tires or rims, check out Les Schwab.  They have replaced the tires and one rim on my trailer.  (the one in Clinton)  they also have done bearing work, replacement and grease repack on my trailer twice. 

http://boattrailerparts.com
(800)464‐1487
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks to all for your response...I have tried a couple of those mentioned, but you've given me some new leads that I'll definitely check out...You're all the best...good luck fishing, and I'll for sure post when I get some success with the axle replacement....
(07-23-2020, 05:23 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Thanks to all for your response...I have tried a couple of those mentioned, but you've given me some new leads that I'll definitely check out...You're all the best...good luck fishing, and I'll for sure post when I get some success with the axle replacement....
https://www.etrailer.com/
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Have you tried Six States Distributors??
You may have already tried but if not give Wasatch trailer sales in Kayesville a try. I had them replace my brakes in my tandem axle 20 year old Metal craft trailer this summer when other places were giving me a run around.
Hey all ...tks again for great suggestions...I made some more calls, and it looks like TJ Trailer in Ogden has what I need....today I picked up my old axle from the place in SLC that thought they could do it right away, and I'll be taking it along to Ogden on Monday....still keeping my fingers crossed...and hooks sharp...maybe I'll get back on the water yet!...if for some reason this doesn't work, you've still given me a few options...Hope to post some success, sooner than much later....
(07-24-2020, 04:14 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Hey all ...tks again for great suggestions...I made some more calls, and it looks like TJ Trailer in Ogden has what I need....today I picked up my old axle from the place in SLC that thought they could do it right away, and I'll be taking it along to Ogden on Monday....still keeping my fingers crossed...and hooks sharp...maybe I'll get back on the water yet!...if for some reason this doesn't work, you've still given me a few options...Hope to post some success, sooner than much later....
If the repair gets hung up at all Joe, let me know.  I might be able to make room on my tub for you next week.
(07-24-2020, 04:14 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Hey all ...tks again for great suggestions...I made some more calls, and it looks like TJ Trailer in Ogden has what I need....today I picked up my old axle from the place in SLC that thought they could do it right away, and I'll be taking it along to Ogden on Monday....still keeping my fingers crossed...and hooks sharp...maybe I'll get back on the water yet!...if for some reason this doesn't work, you've still given me a few options...Hope to post some success, sooner than much later....

This is where I purchased an axle for my previous boat trailer. It was an easy lube that has a zerk fitting on the end of spindle which channels grease to inner bearing eliminating need for a bearing buddy. I also buy their AMSOIL grease which is one of the best greases around for bearings.  Wink
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(07-24-2020, 01:46 PM)Bduck Wrote:

This is where I purchased an axle for my previous boat trailer. It was an easy lube that has a zerk fitting on the end of spindle which channels grease to inner bearing eliminating need for a bearing buddy. I also buy their AMSOIL grease which is one of the best greases around for bearings.  Wink
two years ago the guys at Wasatch Trailer switched my trailer over from the old standard grease system to the 'easy lube with zerk fittings'...it made sense to me, but one of my 'Trailer Friend' guys said that may have been what caused my blown bearings....too much grease? So I'm not sure whether to go that route again or not...but probably just operator error....
My current axles are torsions came with bearing buddy's. Using a good quality grease is having less to grease the bearings. Still get a grease blow out once in a great while with the buddy's however its very expensive changing out the 2 axles, new bearings & hubs. I opted for new Timken bearings which put the cost near $300. Chinese bearings less than half the price is another route. When blow out occurs wipe down and keep an inspection on that area. One other route is to convert to oil bath.
Harrisville UT
You might find an axle at bubbas, or TJs or check ksl maybe able to find another trailer just as cheap.