Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat trailer issue...serious
two years ago the guys at Wasatch Trailer switched my trailer over from the old standard grease system to the 'easy lube with zerk fittings'...it made sense to me, but one of my 'Trailer Friend' guys said that may have been what caused my blown bearings....too much grease? So I'm not sure whether to go that route again or not...but probably just operator error....

Here is one thing I can tell you about the easy lube with zert fittings, the system does not take away from the need of tearing the bearings apart every two or three years. I do mine every three year and when I do it seems I always find issues. I rotate the side I do, so I don't need to do both sides every year. I just did mine this week and the inner bearing came apart in pieces when I took it apart. I think the easy lube system helps hold everything together longer and might give the user a little while longer before failure but you still need tear the bearing apart from time to time.  
As of yesterday there was a two axle trailer (20ft) on KSL (boats with motors)
for 1000.00.
Thanks for thoughts on 'eze lube zerk fittings'....and assuming I can get my new axle on, I'll probably keep that system for bearings lubrication...and I'll take your advice and still take them apart for inspection/re-lubing on a regular basis....
I did even think of replacing the whole trailer, but was told it'd be better if the trailer was built for your boat, which mine was....and I'm limited in parking space behind my garage (garage doors on front and back) and the width of my back door is just enough now for my boat/trailer to make it through...so that rules out nicer/bigger boat/trailer combo....
(07-26-2020, 03:37 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Thanks for thoughts on 'eze lube zerk fittings'....and assuming I can get my new axle on, I'll probably keep that system for bearings lubrication...and I'll take your advice and still take them apart for inspection/re-lubing on a regular basis....
I did even think of replacing the whole trailer, but was told it'd be better if the trailer was built for your boat, which mine was....and I'm limited in parking space behind my garage (garage doors on front and back) and the width of my back door is just enough now for my boat/trailer to make it through...so that rules out nicer/bigger boat/trailer combo....

Added to the reasons you just stated, you would probably want to stay with your current trailer. A double axle trailer will require you to get it registered every year. May not be alot of $, but why add to  the cost of operating your boat if you don't need to  Smile
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool