Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rough Day!
A little late on sharing from last week...

Made the decision to drive down to Oakley for the day last week.  When getting ready the night before, my wife asked me if we had a spare tire for the boat trailer.  Should have known something was up right then and there!  

After getting going a little later than expected, we were on our way from IF.  Shortly after turning right and merging onto the westbound lane at Pocatello, the driver side trailer tire blew out.  This caused the fender on that side to go flying off and the rim got destroyed.  After pulling onto the shoulder at the Chubbuck exit, one of the kids was able to find and retrieve the the missing fender as I got the spare tire on the trailer.  Not ideal, but we had the spare on and found the fender.  Only slightly discouraged, we pulled back onto the freeway and went on our way.  We passed American Falls, then Massacre Rocks and right before we got to the Coldwater area... the passenger side trailer tire blew!  After pulling to the side of the road, we were able to get in touch with a tire shop that had a rim and some tires.  My wife and kids left me and the boat on the side of the road and went to get a new rim and two new tires.  That set us back a couple of hours but knowing we had new rubber on the trailer and a "functional" spare, we decided to keep on going!  We got on the water nearly 3 hours later than we had anticipated.

We ended up spending the remainder of the day on the water until it was dark.  Tally for the day was 1 new rim, 2 new tires, 4 perch, 4 rainbows and 8 walleyes.  Was a day we will not soon forget!
Dang! Tough day at Bedrock Bud! Nice job on keeping your eye on the prize. I would have called it for another day!
I learned early on, in my boat ownership experience, that when one tire blows out the other one will likely do the same in extremely short order. Now, if the tires are the same age, I have learned to immediately replace both tires when the first one goes.
Sounds like a pretty good ending to a very rough start.