Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Trailer Issue - Back in Business
Late last week I did contact TJ Trailers in Ogden about replacement of an 'obsolete' axle, and they did have a modern replacement of the size I needed....this morning a friend and I picked it up... welded Saddles (new round axle vs. old square one) modern hubs and bearings, EZlube zerk fittings (we got and used the Amsoil grease), and we got it installed pretty easy...Now, check gas, check batteries, air pressure in tires, check spark plugs, etc. etc.....thanks again to :  Wando, LakePowellnut, Bduck, BovineOwner, Gone4ever, Crimson, Fishfulthinker, Walleye4, Tin Can, MSM, Jonesy, Packfan, DuBob, IceJunkie, and Wiperhunter....for your response and suggestions......FYI.....the guy at TJ Trailers still recommended taking system apart at the end of each season to check bearings and re-pack, even with 'modern' system and water resistant grease....Hope to see you on the water.... Smile
(07-27-2020, 10:51 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Late last week I did contact TJ Trailers in Ogden about replacement of an 'obsolete' axle, and they did have a modern replacement of the size I needed....this morning a friend and I picked it up... welded Saddles (new round axle vs. old square one) modern hubs and bearings, EZlube zerk fittings (we got and used the Amsoil grease), and we got it installed pretty easy...Now, check gas, check batteries, air pressure in tires, check spark plugs, etc. etc.....thanks again to :  Wando, LakePowellnut, Bduck, BovineOwner, Gone4ever, Crimson, Fishfulthinker, Walleye4, Tin Can, MSM, Jonesy, Packfan, DuBob, IceJunkie, and Wiperhunter....for your response and suggestions......FYI.....the guy at TJ Trailers still recommended taking system apart at the end of each season to check bearings and re-pack, even with 'modern' system and water resistant grease....Hope to see you on the water.... Smile
That was quick, glad it worked out so well for you, I think most folks that sell you bearing or axles like that will always err on the side of caution when telling you to repack your bearing every year but it really depends on how often you use it, IMO. How often where you doing it on your old axle?
Last Fall was the first year I missed doing it...guess I got a little lazy or over confident, after guys at a trailer place put on the replacement ezee lube style zerk fittings grease system....every year does seem alot, but I sure don't want to go through that again....
(07-28-2020, 02:36 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I think most folks that sell you bearing or axles like that will always err on the side of caution when telling you to repack your bearing every year but it really depends on how often you use it, IMO.
Curt, I'm going to very respectfully disagree with you on this one.  Repacking boat trailer bearings annually is an industry wide recommendation.  There is no way to tell if water penetrated into the bearings during the year without disassembly.  And any water left inside will eventually cause damage.  I learned that the hard way.  I have replaced two boat trailer axles in the past because I didn't do the annual repack.  I'm a little hard headed (ya think?) and it took 2 axles for me to see the light.  I have wet hubs on the new rig and all I have to do is check the oil level on a regular basis.

Also, the industry recommendation is to repack at the end of the current boating season, NOT at the beginning of the next season.  You absolutely don't want to let any moisture (if there is any) sit in the bearings during the 4 or 5 month storage period.  It is, of course, your choice as to when you repack your trailers bearings.  But I'm reminded here of the old FRAM oil filter ads on TV years ago.  The mechanic tells us "You can pay me now, or pay me later."  And he Smiles when he says the last part indicating that paying later will be for expensive engine repair.

With any trailer that is placed in the water, the wise thing to do is repack every year - IMHO.  YMMV!  Big Grin
Bob, I wasn't telling anyone not to repack their boat trailer bearing every year, just what I do and of course everyone has their own opinion, do what works best for you. An industry wise recommendation, is just that, it's a recommendation. As I stated, I do mine every three year and have yet to have any issues but I rarely go on longer trips, were I'm pulling my boat trailer more than an hour in any one direction. When I took my boat up to Idaho last week, I took apart and inspected the side of my trailer I had not done for two years and ended up replacing an inner bearing and seal but I also bought a extra hub, just to be on the safe side. This trip was three hours in each direction and everything went fine. 
I like the oil bath method but can't water also get in those bearing? Is it also recommended to check those bearing every year as well?
(07-28-2020, 01:53 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Bob, I wasn't telling anyone not to repack their boat trailer bearing every year, just what I do and of course everyone has their own opinion, do what works best for you.  My bad, I guess I could have been a little more clear in my response. I wasn't trying to tell you how to maintain your equipment.  I just thought it prudent to let other folks know what the industry recommends.  We are all free to make our own decisions in this regard and additional information may make that decision easier for some folks.  I think we've accomplished that goal now.  Smile

I like the oil bath method but can't water also get in those bearing? Yes it can and you will know it when you check the sight window and notice a change in color of the oil inside.

Is it also recommended to check those bearing every year as well?  No, you should check them every trip for oil level (not leaking) and color (milky color indicates water in the hub).  The common recommendation with oil bath hubs is to not mess with them at all as long as they aren't leaking or the oil isn't milky looking.
did they put the bearings on your axle

this happened to me, I had some one install a new axle on my boat, picked it up brought it home, when I got it home the hub was hot, I told myself to  adjust the bearing nut, but I did not ( I think they had it to tight ) went to Flaming gorge lost a bearing and a axle.
left my boat and trailer , came home and they gave me another axle and hub and they installed the bearings. installd the axle up there  came home this time they had the bearing to loose, I puled the cap adjusted the bearing nut and have not had any problem.  you need to make sure you don't get water in the hup they sale seals for boats and stuff for other trailers that never go in the water.    

my dust cap does not have a rubber plug in it for the ez lube I think that is one more place you can get water in but if you check your bearings often you will be OK
I take mine apart on my stock trailers every year during the winter to check and re-pack as needed. It way easier on a concrete floor with all my tools and lights than on the side of a highway or gravel road somewhere in the middle of no where. An ounce of prevention beats 50 lbs of cure. My 2 cents and worth half that ):
I bought my EZ Loader trailer with oil bath hubs in November of 2005.  Never touched them until year before last.  Didn't really need to then, but I bought some aluminum caps with a sight glass to replace the original all plastic ones.  My annual maintenance consisted of looking at the cap to make sure the oil was clear and at the right level.  Never had to change or add fluid.  When I changed out the caps I filled the new ones with gear lube and put them in the freezer for a bit.  Then I just screwed them on and was done.  Absolutely trouble free for these 15 years.  Now, trailer tires have been an issue, but not bearings, hubs or the axle.

[Image: DSC-1584.jpg]
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(07-29-2020, 12:36 PM)Paddler Wrote: I bought my EZ Loader trailer with oil bath hubs in November of 2005.  Never touched them until year before last.  Didn't really need to then, but I bought some aluminum caps with a sight glass to replace the original all plastic ones.  My annual maintenance consisted of looking at the cap to make sure the oil was clear and at the right level.  Never had to change or add fluid.  When I changed out the caps I filled the new ones with gear lube and put them in the freezer for a bit.  Then I just screwed them on and was done.  Absolutely trouble free for these 15 years.  Now, trailer tires have been an issue, but not bearings, hubs or the axle.

[Image: DSC-1584.jpg]
Wow, that's really good track record, how much extra did you have to pay for the trailer with the oil bath hubs vs ones with EZ hubs? hubs?