Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Trip # 8
Well, I headed out to Willard south this morning. No particular fish in mind, just one of those "anything - that - bites" kinda days. With as jammed as WB has been this summer, even during the week days, I expected to see quite a few "water babies" out already when I got there. 
But the south ramp parking area only had 1 other rig and the lake was calm and empty for as far as I could see. Course I can't see that far anymore........ but it was a beautiful morning. Light cool breeze, very light ripple on the water, very few bugs, and NO POWER SQUADRON. 

[Image: 050-27-July-2029.jpg]

Departure from south marina 0659 a.m.

Headed just about north-west-ish, dragging 2 of my new (one month ago) rat-l-traps. Varied speed, random S turns. Got to about 18 fow, and sonar blew up with fish arcs  just about covering the whole screen. Figure I should be able to hook up SOMETHING out of all  that ..............NOPE.  
Breeze strengthened up a bit out of the north west, so I swung a wide U turn and went with the wind at my back. Barely got the lines tracking correctly from that turn, wheeeee  big drag pull.  Something, felt like a bad attitude Wiper. Had a good 2 or 3 minute tug fest, head shake and run, reel back. Got to within about 3 inches of my net, could see it was a nicer than average Cat. And I watched in almost slow motion as that Cat rolled a couple times, got my line (12 lb. mono) behind a pectoral  fin and cut it. Lost the Cat (no bigeee), but she took off with my best new lure still hooked to her lip with 2 of 3 of  the hooks on the front treble. 

[Image: 028-new-1.jpg]

Lost lure. Just only had it 1 month (since 26 June)  

Anybody happens to snag  this up out in the "openness" would sure like it back (you can keep the Cat if it's still on it)  Confused

All was not lost, got 2 consolation kitties,  one on  a new iridescent white trap, and one on one of my old Fire Tiger Traps.  They are now residing in my fridge (the Cats, not the traps) ready to make fish tacos tonight. 

[Image: 052-Cat-2.jpg]      [Image: 051-Cat-1.jpg]

Called it a day about 12:30 just as the power squadron started hitting the water.  

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
That hurts losing a new lure like that, but sounds like a pretty good day overall.
Forest, I was dragging and drifting cut bait around the feedlot. Did I see you out in that area? For me, fishing was a little slow but managed to find a couple or three dumb ones. Kitty wings for dinner list night.
(07-27-2020, 10:58 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Well, I headed out to Willard south this morning. No particular fish in mind, just one of those "anything - that - bites" kinda days. With as jammed as WB has been this summer, even during the week days, I expected to see quite a few "water babies" out already when I got there. 
But the south ramp parking area only had 1 other rig and the lake was calm and empty for as far as I could see. Course I can't see that far anymore........ but it was a beautiful morning. Light cool breeze, very light ripple on the water, very few bugs, and NO POWER SQUADRON. 

[Image: 050-27-July-2029.jpg]

Departure from south marina 0659 a.m.

Headed just about north-west-ish, dragging 2 of my new (one month ago) rat-l-traps. Varied speed, random S turns. Got to about 18 fow, and sonar blew up with fish arcs  just about covering the whole screen. Figure I should be able to hook up SOMETHING out of all  that ..............NOPE.  
Breeze strengthened up a bit out of the north west, so I swung a wide U turn and went with the wind at my back. Barely got the lines tracking correctly from that turn, wheeeee  big drag pull.  Something, felt like a bad attitude Wiper. Had a good 2 or 3 minute tug fest, head shake and run, reel back. Got to within about 3 inches of my net, could see it was a nicer than average Cat. And I watched in almost slow motion as that Cat rolled a couple times, got my line (12 lb. mono) behind a pectoral  fin and cut it. Lost the Cat (no bigeee), but she took off with my best new lure still hooked to her lip with 2 of 3 of  the hooks on the front treble. 

[Image: 028-new-1.jpg]

Lost lure. Just only had it 1 month (since 26 June)  

Anybody happens to snag  this up out in the "openness" would sure like it back (you can keep the Cat if it's still on it)  Confused

All was not lost, got 2 consolation kitties,  one on  a new iridescent white trap, and one on one of my old Fire Tiger Traps.  They are now residing in my fridge (the Cats, not the traps) ready to make fish tacos tonight. 

[Image: 052-Cat-2.jpg]      [Image: 051-Cat-1.jpg]

Called it a day about 12:30 just as the power squadron started hitting the water.  

My son and I launched the boat in the South marina at 6:30 this morning and went to bottom bouncers and started to hook up right away, sorry to say no walleye or wipers but the catfish wanted to play today. We had our limits by 11 and decided to call it quits, we ended up keeping some of the larger ones and returned the rest to fight another day. I have two live wells in my boat so it is pretty easy to keep catfish alive. No bugs, slight breeze from the North, very pleasant. Color didn't seem to make much difference on my harnesses, speed was 0.8 to 1 MPH. fishing 16 to 18 feet of water. 

(07-28-2020, 01:13 PM)FatBiker Wrote: Forest, I was dragging and drifting cut bait around the feedlot. Did I see you out in that area? For me, fishing was a little slow but managed to find a couple or three dumb ones. Kitty wings for dinner list night.

Larry, were you in your tube, or a small boat ?   I saw someone in a small white boat out at the feedlot, but didn't recognize the boat. If that was you, next time I'll know. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool