Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 7-31-2020

Lost another just behind the boat just like the top 2.  No cutthroat trout were harmed during this trip other than having a sore mouth.   Big Grin
Those are some nice sized perch...errr kokes.  Prolly not as big as the Gorge though, huh?

Looks like they are starting to color up.  
(08-01-2020, 02:33 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Those are some nice sized perch...errr kokes.  Prolly not as big as the Gorge though, huh?

I forgot to mention the two on top are both about 19" long.  They ARE starting to show color and they are a tad smaller than Gorge salmon.  But hey, better than nothing or being skunked.   Big Grin
(08-01-2020, 11:17 PM)dubob Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 02:33 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Those are some nice sized perch...errr kokes.  Prolly not as big as the Gorge though, huh?

I forgot to mention the two on top are both about 19" long.  They ARE starting to show color and they are a tad smaller than Gorge salmon.  But hey, better than nothing or being skunked.   Big Grin
Glad you clarified the length.  Hard to see the numbers on your measuring device in the picture.    19" is a respectable size for kokes anywhere.  No problem with table qualities in the early stages of coloring up.  But as they get closer to the spawn they are not as good.  Okay for smoking up to a point.  Do you still bottle them after they start changing?
(08-02-2020, 02:03 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Do you still bottle them after they start changing?
Absolutely!  When I lived in Alaska for a year, the residents and natives used to get subsistence permits that allowed them to gather 50 sockeye salmon a day.  This was NOT fishing.  They would gather them when they were solid, deep red in color and within days of spawning and death.  They were all canned and the canning process transformed them into a canned product not unlike what you buy in your local grocery store.  The ONLY thing I do with salmon going forward from this point is pressure can (bottle) them.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Nice going Bob....we'll be trying to coax one or two into the boat on Tues. A.M.....hope to see you out there...
(08-03-2020, 03:55 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Nice going Bob....we'll be trying to coax one or two into the boat on Tues. A.M.....hope to see you out there...
I'm at the Gorge until Thursday with Earl.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."