Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay trip # 9
Had not launched out of the WB North marina at all this year so gave it a try this past Thursday.  Got launched at 730, very calm beautiful morning. 
Ran from marina to west wall at varied speeds .05 to 1.5, water depths from about 14 to 19 feet, several lure changes.

Got a couple pop and drops but nothing hooked.   Anchored out off of Eagle beach in 7-8 fow. Lots of fishy looking arcs on the sonar. Put out 2 baited  lines, put my sun shade up, kicked back and enjoyed  the light water chop and cool breeze. 

On the water a total of almost 3 hours and got rudely wakened out of my mid morning snooze by one reel drag doing an intermittent click and stop.  Saw the line going slowly parallel to the beach so lifted and did slow drag tighten. 
Well fish on.  Not much fight, and felt like  a small Cat. 

Turned out to be bigger than it felt, but not much energy obvious. Been worn out on the spawn beds somewhere.....? 
Not big enough for a contest bump, and no desire to do the work to clean for dinner, so released. 

By 12:00, north half of WB was getting filled up with "start the weekend early"  water craft. Called it a day.  

[Image: 053-30-July-2020-0730-Launch.jpg]    [Image: 054-worn-out-Kitty-CPR.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
With the covid crew out playing around this year I'm not sure the weekend ever ended. I drive past Willard Bay every afternoon and it is packed.
A good nap and a good catfish makes for a very good day.
(08-01-2020, 11:19 PM)thatchergreg Wrote: With the covid crew out playing around this year I'm not sure the weekend ever ended. I drive past Willard Bay every afternoon and it is packed.
They must be coming late as I have fished it several times this week both from the North and South marinas and have left around noon and not many boats out then. Getting too hot to fish after that until the evening hrs.
(08-02-2020, 10:52 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 11:19 PM)thatchergreg Wrote: With the covid crew out playing around this year I'm not sure the weekend ever ended. I drive past Willard Bay every afternoon and it is packed.
They must be coming late as I have fished it several times this week both from the North and South marinas and have left around noon and not many boats out then. Getting too hot to fish after that until the evening hrs.

Yep, that about right.  I just got back from Willard. Got there at 630 a.m. only 2 other rigs in the lot. Didn't see a power squadron boat til about 1100. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool