Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bullfrogs
I heard that bullfrogs were illegally introduced in Utah and the DWR is trying to get rid of them.  I have never seen one.  My daughter wants to go catch one really bad.  Have any of you seen any?  I’m looking for a place to take her.

Thorny
The introduction was a very long time ago, but the numbers are now growing pretty fast.  Lots of community ponds have a population of them, you might just go out at night and listen for their calls, then come back later during the day.
Theirs bull frogs all over Farmington bay, the kaysville ponds off the freeway, ogden bay. Just about anywhere marshy is going to have them.
Cool, I haven’t been to those areas. Maybe we will have to go check them out. Thanks for the suggestions
(08-02-2020, 12:40 AM)Thorny Wrote: I heard that bullfrogs were illegally introduced in Utah and the DWR is trying to get rid of them.  I have never seen one.  My daughter wants to go catch one really bad.  Have any of you seen any?  I’m looking for a place to take her.

Thorny
Pretty much anywhere on Cuttler at night, you can hear them. (They are Freaky sounding)
(08-02-2020, 12:40 AM)Thorny Wrote: I heard that bullfrogs were illegally introduced in Utah and the DWR is trying to get rid of them.  I have never seen one.  My daughter wants to go catch one really bad.  Have any of you seen any?  I’m looking for a place to take her.

Thorny
 I'll add the marshy/low spots of Mantua to the list. I hear them around that east end pond every time I'm there toward evening. 

Almost no matter where I go, though, I only see small ones, or one big one, or else I'd be after them at night with a flood light and a gig or bow. and arrows. 

I saw what HAD to be a two-pounder out in Daybreak at the big lake.  Massive, and I almost got him on a worm chunk, but I walked a long way around that place and only saw two frogs total. 
(08-03-2020, 02:34 PM)big_griggs Wrote:

Thorny
Pretty much anywhere on Cuttler at night, you can hear them. (They are Freaky sounding)
If you really want to hear some frogs croaking you need to hear the big bulls that are really large which can grow to 12 inches or more stretched out, I love frog legs and we have the big bulls back in Northern Wis where I grew up. I love to listen to them after dark at dad's cabin. I don't think I have ever seen a true bullfrog here in Utah I have seen other types here.
Have started hearing from croaking along the edges of a few spots on the Bear River (lower) last time I was out in my boat on the river, son and I heard a couple just after we launched about 7 a.m.  but have not seen any. 
Used to gig or trap frogs along the rivers in south Georgia, used them for catfish bait. Would even hook a good size LM Bass with one now and again.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool