Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation advice
I’m looking for some advice on fishing Starvation. I’ll be down there this weekend for a couple of days staying at Indian Bay campground. I’m pretty familiar with targeting trout and bass but would like to try my hand at targeting walleye. I know there more activate at night but beyond that I don’t know anything about targeting them. Does anyone have any advice to hopefully out a novice Walleye fisherman on some fish? What set ups should I use and what areas should I target? I’ll have a pedal kayak to get in the water also. Thanks!
Here is a map I have Xed up with spots I have done well in the past.  Lots of possibles.  If you have sonar, look for fish in the 12 to 20 foot range...along rocky shoreline or off underwater points.  There will be a mix of perch, smallies and walleyes...and they all hit the same things.  Primary food sources are young perch and crawdads. 

There are several good news tips.  First, the walleyes in Starvy are not strictly nocturnal.  I have had some of my best vertical jigging walleye action right around midday.  But a lot of the bigger/wiser fish DO become more active after dark.  However, you can usually count on good action all day if you can find the fish.

Many Starvy regulars use nothing more than a jig tipped with worm for all species.  Walleyes hit jig and worm very well.  Use 1/8 to 1/4 oz. heads with size 4-1 hooks.  Plastic tubes in white, chartreuse, perch or craw colors are good choices...but marabou jigs work well too.  Tip them with about 1/3 crawler...or two shorter pieces hooked through the ends so that they wiggle when jiggled.

I have had most of my best walleye fishing in Indian Bay by going west from the end of the parking/camping area and fishing the points coming out from shore.  But if you work in and out, up and down, you will eventually find an area where there are some active fish.  And don't overlook going back up in the little bays that branch off from the big bay.  Also, the back side of the island can be gangbusters.  There is a fast drop into deeper water and fish often stage somewhere along it.

Also attaching some excerpts from my larger work on Fishing Starvation.

Good luck.
[Image: INDIAN-BAY-FISHING.jpg]
(08-02-2020, 04:59 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Here is a map I have Xed up with spots I have done well in the past.  Lots of possibles.  If you have sonar, look for fish in the 12 to 20 foot range...along rocky shoreline or off underwater points.  There will be a mix of perch, smallies and walleyes...and they all hit the same things.  Primary food sources are young perch and crawdads. 

There are several good news tips.  First, the walleyes in Starvy are not strictly nocturnal.  I have had some of my best vertical jigging walleye action right around midday.  But a lot of the bigger/wiser fish DO become more active after dark.  However, you can usually count on good action all day if you can find the fish.

Many Starvy regulars use nothing more than a jig tipped with worm for all species.  Walleyes hit jig and worm very well.  Use 1/8 to 1/4 oz. heads with size 4-1 hooks.  Plastic tubes in white, chartreuse, perch or craw colors are good choices...but marabou jigs work well too.  Tip them with about 1/3 crawler...or two shorter pieces hooked through the ends so that they wiggle when jiggled.

I have had most of my best walleye fishing in Indian Bay by going west from the end of the parking/camping area and fishing the points coming out from shore.  But if you work in and out, up and down, you will eventually find an area where there are some active fish.  And don't overlook going back up in the little bays that branch off from the big bay.  Also, the back side of the island can be gangbusters.  There is a fast drop into deeper water and fish often stage somewhere along it.

Good luck.

Thank you for the incredibly detailed information. Sounds like if I can find the fish I should be able to hook up, assuming the fish want to play. There seems to be no shortage of spots to try either. Thank you again for sharing your advice. I’ll be sure to let you know how I do.
(08-02-2020, 06:40 PM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: Thank you for the incredibly detailed information. Sounds like if I can find the fish I should be able to hook up, assuming the fish want to play. There seems to be no shortage of spots to try either. Thank you again for sharing your advice. I’ll be sure to let you know how I do.
As with many waters, Starvation is subject to the "biblical system"...seek and ye shall find...MAYBE.

Basic concept of fishing is "you can't ketch 'em where they ain't".  So if you aren't getting any action, keep looking until you find active fish.  Simple? Yes.  Easy?  Nope.
(08-02-2020, 08:46 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 06:40 PM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: Thank you for the incredibly detailed information. Sounds like if I can find the fish I should be able to hook up, assuming the fish want to play. There seems to be no shortage of spots to try either. Thank you again for sharing your advice. I’ll be sure to let you know how I do.
As with many waters, Starvation is subject to the "biblical system"...seek and ye shall find...MAYBE.

Basic concept of fishing is "you can't ketch 'em where they ain't".  So if you aren't getting any action, keep looking until you find active fish.  Simple? Yes.  Easy?  Nope.
Take TubeDude's  advice , same info he provided me with ( we stayed Thursday-Saturday evening this past week) and done very well. Although I don't have pics to back it up I think I can get an endorsement from TubeDude on reliability. Bought a new GoPro and never used one, I have plenty of video of the bottom of the boat just no fish, ran the damn battery dry. We stayed in the Mountain View Campground and launched out of that ramp. We covered a lot of area but found our best walleye fishing straight west of that ramp opposite side of lake along the rocky shoreline. Friday evening we caught fish from about 730-800pm till we finally called it a day around midnight. Done a lot of scouting Saturday morning with not a lot of action and decided to return to where we were the night before around noon, we caught fish drifting that rocky area till about 430pm when we decided to hit the highway as we both had obligations for Sunday. Menu of choice was chartreuse jigs tipped/untipped with crawler, but we also caught fish on spinners, night crawlers, and harnesses. Side note: we were there targeting SM, caught a couple along with a few perch, and about a dozen rainbow, but caught more walleye than anything else. Thanx for the generous info Pat, now I can scratch off walleye as one of my bucket list fish for Utah.
(08-04-2020, 07:10 PM)bigdaddy84094 Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 08:46 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Take TubeDude's  advice , same info he provided me with ( we stayed Thursday-Saturday evening this past week) and done very well. Although I don't have pics to back it up I think I can get an endorsement from TubeDude on reliability. Bought a new GoPro and never used one, I have plenty of video of the bottom of the boat just no fish, ran the damn battery dry. We stayed in the Mountain View Campground and launched out of that ramp. We covered a lot of area but found our best walleye fishing straight west of that ramp opposite side of lake along the rocky shoreline. Friday evening we caught fish from about 730-800pm till we finally called it a day around midnight. Done a lot of scouting Saturday morning with not a lot of action and decided to return to where we were the night before around noon, we caught fish drifting that rocky area till about 430pm when we decided to hit the highway as we both had obligations for Sunday. Menu of choice was chartreuse jigs tipped/untipped with crawler, but we also caught fish on spinners, night crawlers, and harnesses. Side note: we were there targeting SM, caught a couple along with a few perch, and about a dozen rainbow, but caught more walleye than anything else. Thanx for the generous info Pat, now I can scratch off walleye as one of my bucket list fish for Utah.
were any of the walleye over 12 inches?
(08-04-2020, 07:10 PM)bigdaddy84094 Wrote: Take TubeDude's  advice , same info he provided me with ( we stayed Thursday-Saturday evening this past week) and done very well. Although I don't have pics to back it up I think I can get an endorsement from TubeDude on reliability. Bought a new GoPro and never used one, I have plenty of video of the bottom of the boat just no fish, ran the damn battery dry. We stayed in the Mountain View Campground and launched out of that ramp. We covered a lot of area but found our best walleye fishing straight west of that ramp opposite side of lake along the rocky shoreline. Friday evening we caught fish from about 730-800pm till we finally called it a day around midnight. Done a lot of scouting Saturday morning with not a lot of action and decided to return to where we were the night before around noon, we caught fish drifting that rocky area till about 430pm when we decided to hit the highway as we both had obligations for Sunday. Menu of choice was chartreuse jigs tipped/untipped with crawler, but we also caught fish on spinners, night crawlers, and harnesses. Side note: we were there targeting SM, caught a couple along with a few perch, and about a dozen rainbow, but caught more walleye than anything else. Thanx for the generous info Pat, now I can scratch off walleye as one of my bucket list fish for Utah.
Glad you scratched out a few.  Now you can spend the rest of your life learning new things about walleyes.  Seems like they constantly find new tricks and new ways to drive anglers bonkers.  But, thankfully, there are some things about them that remain pretty much constant and you always have a place to start.
Just a question. Anybody found the kokanee in Starvation ?
(08-02-2020, 06:40 PM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 04:59 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Here is a map I have Xed up with spots I have done well in the past.  Lots of possibles.  If you have sonar, look for fish in the 12 to 20 foot range...along rocky shoreline or off underwater points.  There will be a mix of perch, smallies and walleyes...and they all hit the same things.  Primary food sources are young perch and crawdads. 

Good luck.

Thank you for the incredibly detailed information. Sounds like if I can find the fish I should be able to hook up, assuming the fish want to play. There seems to be no shortage of spots to try either. Thank you again for sharing your advice. I’ll be sure to let you know how I do.
Has anyone been to Bunny gulcth recently, how is water level for launching pontoon. I like park and launch by the first out house area. Thanks

Has anyone been to Bunny gulch recently,How is water level, for launching pontoon. Like to put in by the first outhouse area.