Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Kokes and CrawDads 7/31 & 8/1
Went up to the Berry to catch some crawdads and fished a bit for kokes with my wife. Did not get on the water Friday till about 7:30am caught 2 nice kokes and about 5 slot cuts in about 2 hours of fishing that morning. Then we set out some crawdad traps and chilled the rest of the day. My wife was happy to be away from the heat of the valley and wanted to chill, so we didn’t fish any more on Friday.
Went out Sat morning, we got on the water a bit earlier but not early about 7am, no luck and not marking many fish in a couple hours. I decided to run to another area I have done well in the past and get away from the masses. We landed 4 kokes with one double in about an hour, one of the smallest I have caught up there, about 5 inches lightly hooked and easily let it go unharmed and lost one of the biggest. Lost it at the boat, I think it would have been my biggest of the year at any koke lake I’ve fished. It was a dandy I’m thinking 22-23 inches it was a tank. I had it right at the boat no thrashing or fighting, it just came unbuttoned then calmly swam by for a good look and slinked away,With a big Smile on his face. Lol
I wish I would have moved earlier and could have fished a bit longer I think we would have limited. My wife was ready to chill some more and we wanted to pull traps and that was the main reason for the trip, so all good. Best depth was 40 to 45 feet on the riggers and I played with speed more than normal and it seemed to trigger strikes when we were on fish. Silver flash sling blades pink squid were the ticket. All of the Kokes except the micro one showed color and starting to hook up on the males. [Image: 23678-D8-E-F6-F9-4992-B912-7-F698-CBE32-BA.jpg]

[Image: 0-A185-E1-D-D25-E-4-D2-D-B14-C-463-E618-E9-BFE.jpg]

[Image: 711547-E9-6-A45-4-CB3-8-D20-BC7363-F33-AAF.jpg]

[Image: 5317-EEF3-AC64-44-B9-95-C0-288925136-BEC.jpg]

[Image: A303-FBDC-D2-D8-4-D6-C-B13-E-2589-C301-B177.jpg]We ended up with a cooler of crawfish and had a yummy crawdad boil. So not bad for just a few hours fishing and lots of chilling.

Mildog out
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
That looks like a great time.  The kokes were very nice.  The crawdad boil made me hungry.
The Kokes look nice and fat. And sounds like a fun trip for you and the wife. It's nice to get out of the heat too. Good report.
Looks like a fun trip. I like how you went with what your wife wanted to do instead of just fishing her into the ground.
(08-03-2020, 06:31 PM)Wells Wrote: Looks like a fun trip.  I like how you went with what your wife wanted to do instead of just fishing her into the ground.

She is such a great Sport for sure ! My best catch ever !!! She has been working her tail off and really needed a break. I get to fish a lot and have caught plenty, so if she wants to just fish a bit and chill, no problem with me. She enjoyed the cooler weather letting the dog swim and catching a few and the great Crawdad Boil payoff !! I think we could have gotten limits once we found and figured them out. I've had great year, so no complaints ! Maybe we will get out one more time for Kokes and or crawdads. Then get off for the Archery hunts and waterfowl season with some other fishing mixed in.
Mildog out
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life