Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay trip # 10
Seems early Monday morning is about my best time to hit WB. The power squadron folks that are or have been camping at Willard are still sleeping, or are leaving for home. And the ones wanting to get on the water don't seem to make it out till about 1100. So I had another 4-5 hour window today with only 2 other fishing rigs on the water.
Had a rather constant stiff breeze, my weather app said it was  10 mph from the SW. Worked out great for me. Wind was strong enough to keep the bugs down to zero, but not so strong that it affected the fishing, or made it dangerous choppy. 
Tried a tactic another  BFTer mentioned. Got out in about 16-18 fow, shut down the motor, set my lines out and drifted. 
The steady breeze  pushed me along at speeds between .56 and 1.04 mph, and pushed me from just outside the marina buoy area in a slow but sure north-east angle all the way past the feed lot.

Bounced several different lures for the first hour, no takers. Swapped over to shrimp on circle hooks I use at the river for Cats. Almost constant taps and tugs, stripping off the shrimp, but no hook taker.  Swapped to a smaller bait holder hook. The constant taps stopped, but had several hit, run, and drops.  Finally one of the smaller Willard kitties decided she wanted the whole piece of shrimp.  Boated her, and later released. Would have kept for dinner if I could have boated one or two more. But she was the only Cat.  

Was sitting back and almost being rocked to sleep when one reel drag screamed out. Small hook, small piece of shrimp, BIG Golden Bugle Mouth.  Now I got some fresh cut bait for the river.   
Wind was slowing and it was getting hot. I had my last piece of shrimp on one line. Decided to call it a day, and started reeling that one in.  Hmmmmm........ there's some extra weight on there, not fighting, but not just the line weight and bait. 
A small Perch barely hooked thru the skin on lower lip.  Boated and CPR.  

Got back to the docks as 4 or 5 pleasure boats were launching.  Good timing . 

[Image: 055-3-Aug-2020-0642-a-m-launch.jpg]   [Image: 056.jpg]  [Image: 057-1053-a-m-Cat-CPR.jpg]    [Image: 058-1148-a-m-Carp-for-cut-bait.jpg]  
[Image: 059-1232-P-M-Perch-CPR.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice report Forest and good going one getting three different species. Glad you are still getting out there, I'll wait until it cools down but I've fish Willard 26 times so far this year, so it's nice to try other locations. By the way, how did you do a Echo the other day?
(08-20-2020, 07:57 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice report Forest and good going one getting three different species. Glad you are still getting out there, I'll wait until it cools down but I've fish Willard 26 times so far this year, so it's nice to try other locations. By the way, how did you do a Echo the other day?

Curt, I got skunked. I didn't get there till about 10 a.m.  
Not long after I saw you, the wind came up pretty stiff, and I had forgotten to put my ballast sand bags back in the bow to keep it down, so got tough to keep located where I was seeing fish. Called it a day and left. Doubt I'll go back. That ramp and area off sides is pretty rough, and I can't make the walk down from or back
up to the parking area at the top.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice report. Well, I kinda think I might have met you. If you were out of the south marina anyways. I was the guy cleaning a few wipers that I scored soaking mussels out by the light pole off the bank. The fish cleaning station was deceiving for everyone who would like to know. The water turned on fine, but the grinder/disposal part would not kick on. I did not put my carcasses in the grinder. I need to go find some walleye somewhere, it has been a while since I scored one.
-Gabe
(08-20-2020, 11:34 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 07:57 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice report Forest and good going one getting three different species. Glad you are still getting out there, I'll wait until it cools down but I've fish Willard 26 times so far this year, so it's nice to try other locations. By the way, how did you do a Echo the other day?

Curt, I got skunked. I didn't get there till about 10 a.m.  
Not long after I saw you, the wind came up pretty stiff, and I had forgotten to put my ballast sand bags back in the bow to keep it down, so got tough to keep located where I was seeing fish. Called it a day and left. Doubt I'll go back. That ramp and area off sides is pretty rough, and I can't make the walk down from or back
up to the parking area at the top.

We parked right off the side of the ramp, right in front of the boat dock and had zero issues, it's a lot easier than parking at the top of the ramp. It really wasn't that rough.
Forest, if you ever want to try Echo again just let me know. Its close and I can swing by and help ya launch your battleship...
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew