Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Decision to Make
As these days have been its on the warm side to do any midday activities outside around the house. About 8:30 that evening my thoughts drifted off to go fishing Tuesday morning but I have choice to make between Flaming Gorge or Strawberry. So I decided to wait until the next morning to make that decision based on how I slept. As it be I awoke early at 2am and that put Flaming Gorge as lead contender. By 2:45 I had everything together including my little companion, we hit the road. It was nice traveling thru the darkness of cool temps. I took my normal route into Mountainview to Manila but started thinking about where I'm wanting to launch and when I got to the Lucerne turnoff is when I ventured towards Anvil for at least the AIS inspection stop. The young lady that was doing the [i]inspection informed me since I last fished Strawberry its on their list as AIS.  Huh She said the name once of the AIS which I didn't quite catch as she turned her back continuing with inspection and it wasn't the quagga or zebra that most stations are watching for. She also said it doesn't attach itself to the boat but the type that can attach to someone wearing waders or a pet swimming. As I'm trying to find out name of AIS these 2 older fishermen pulled in while my inspection is on going and very rudely took my conversation away and she obliged them.  Angry As I received my copy of the inspection slip she said she was done and continued on to BS with the other fellows. I walked away now in this pissy mood. So if anyone knows of this Strawberry AIS feel free to post for all to see. I took Anvil launch off the list and headed to Buckboard where I launched. Started out at Breeze after about an caught one descent fat brute at [/i]21 1/2" and the bite after that was nil. Relocated southward towards the Skunk Cliffs and over to the Marsh. No matter where I went I could see kokes that were deep. Water temp at 65' was 52° and that where I sent presentations. By 12:30 I was thinking lockjaw wasn't going to give me a key to the bite. Then overcast preceding a storm came in is when the bite turned on which I salvaged my limit, one was a small koke that had one eye mangled and a torn away jaw. Must have been an earlier release from someone else that survived up to the point I put it into the box. Next I lost 2 nice fighters at the back of the boat and my 3rd I was able to put in the box. By that time about I could see a storm blowing in as I started securing equipment. As started back to marina 20mph+ winds came up with heavy white caps. Included with pics is the new Buckboard store. 

[Image: FG-8-04-2020.jpg] [Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg] [Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
That's a beautiful fish buddy! Glad you had a safe and successful trip....
Sunrise on the water
Rodger, I called the DWR about this issue and of course I got his voice mail but I thought I'd pass this info on, so you can contact him too. The DWR AIS guy to talk to is Josh Wright, his number is 801-648-6315.
Nice koke, how much do you think it weighed?
I called around and the girl does not know what she is talking about. Nothing in Strawberry.
(08-06-2020, 05:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Rodger, I called the DWR about this issue and of course I got his voice mail but I thought I'd pass this info on, so you can contact him too. The DWR AIS guy to talk to is Josh Wright, his number is 801-648-6315.
Nice koke, how much do you think it weighed?

Curt, I tried calling and also got the voice mail however I'm working on another avenue to take. It sounded like it was no big deal since decontamination didn't happen. That koke was only 3.1lb unless my scale was off I felt it should have been a little closer to 3½ to maybe 4lb. Hogs need to be caught. 
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Nice trip Roger, great looking fish. Hopefully we can get a trip in when I get back from chasing kings in Oregon and before I start hunting
(08-07-2020, 12:54 AM)2knots Wrote: Nice trip Roger, great looking fish. Hopefully we can get a trip in when I get back from chasing kings in Oregon and before I start hunting

This trip put both me & the pooch in a state of recovery for 2days and this heat hasn't been favorable. Alan when is your coastal trip? There is still good Berry time left.
Harrisville UT
(08-07-2020, 02:00 AM)Bduck Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 12:54 AM)2knots Wrote: Nice trip Roger, great looking fish. Hopefully we can get a trip in when I get back from chasing kings in Oregon and before I start hunting

This trip put both me & the pooch in a state of recovery for 2days and this heat hasn't  been favorable. Alan when is your coastal trip? There is still good Berry time left.
yea I believe it, I had a 2 day recovery also from my excursion into Wyoming elk country on Monday doing some scouting, quads were a bit sore.  I leave on Sunday and will be back on the 22nd, I want to get to the Berry and the gorge Before the season is over and jig for the kokes

This trip put both me & the pooch in a state of recovery for 2days and this heat has been favorable. Alan when is your coastal trip? There is still good Berry time left.
Harrisville UT
(08-06-2020, 02:12 PM)Bduck Wrote: The young lady that was doing the [i]inspection informed me since I last fished Strawberry its on their list as AIS.  Huh She said the name once of the AIS which I didn't quite catch as she turned her back continuing with inspection and it wasn't the quagga or zebra that most stations are watching for. She also said it doesn't attach itself to the boat but the type that can attach to someone wearing waders or a pet swimming. As I'm trying to find out name of AIS these 2 older fishermen pulled in while my inspection is on going and very rudely took my conversation away and she obliged them.  Angry As I received my copy of the inspection slip she said she was done and continued on to BS with the other fellows. I walked away now in this pissy mood. So if anyone knows of this Strawberry AIS feel free to post for all to see. [/i]
Josh Wright, the DWR AIS guy from the Northern office called me back today, said there was no such issue with Strawberry being on any AIS list. I suggested he contact someone with the Wyoming AIS program and get this straightened out, he said he would do that.
I put in a phone call to Wyoming F&G last Thursday and receptionist took my name, number, and concerning question that she would direct it to appropriate AIS official. Still awaiting to hear from them.
Harrisville UT