Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln goings on...
Fished at Lincoln everyday this week. I fished for wb on Monday for cat bait on Tuesday, wb on Wed. for fresh bait on Thurs. and Fri. Fishing has been very good for both. White bass are finicky eaters; they stuff themselves  on midges all morning and reject any other offerings. I use a small silver Mepps spinner to find the ones that cannot give up the urge to give chase. I caught one YOY baby bass that was about the same size as my spinner. Easy to catch a couple dozen bigger wb on every trip. Fun to catch and great fresh bait.

Not a lot of fishing pressure at Lincoln and even the power squads have been limited to after the  morning fishing hours. The water lever is dropping noticeably with the demand for irrigation. Still plenty of water to launch -- about 4 feet in the channel. 

There is a family of skunks that has taken up residency on the launch berms. I have encountered them every morning at about daylight. They patrol the launch area in search of whatever they can find for grub. I had one pass me on the launch today as i was preping to launch. He was within easy range, about six feet, so controlled my  urge to panic and I froze up until he passed. No harm done.

The skeeters ain't too bad this year... at least for me. The midges and smidges are really bad. (Clarification: a smidge is a midge splattered on your windshield, a midge is a protein  particle that nourishes the white bass,)  A few mink observed but no beavers. The ospreys have had a successful hatch and  they are staying close to their nests as they teach the younguns how to fish.

The catfish: Fishing has been great on my last two trips. Caught about 18 Wed. and today I caught too many to count -- had to be better than 30. All were between 24 and 27 inches, with the singular exception of the 31 incher I caught last week. The males are still pretty ugly with a lot of open wounds. The females are big and fat with green backs and white bellies. A good time to take kids fishing.

The algae is getting worse every day... depending on which way the wind blows. A north wind will make the Lincoln area look like a pasture. Bad.

Anyhow, that's my report. In summary, fishing is great and getting better. Some cooler weather would make the fishing better for the fish and the fishermen. The big cats are out there and will be showing up soon. Cool

To be continued...

BLK
Good to hear you been getting out amongst 'em...and keeping them exercised.  Everybody knows that too much inactivity can cause CATrona virus.

Figured that this year's crop of white basslets should be showing up soon.  Glad the yearlings are hanging around to keep you in bait.

We need to gang up on 'em again soon.
Thanks BLK for the report it was a fun report and I'm glad you didn't get sprayed that would have totally sucked lol....I'm in a slump this year with boat issues again so I'm not doing very good. That and active kids, hard to coos them over fishing but I do lol...
(08-07-2020, 07:14 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Fished at Lincoln everyday this week. I fished for wb on Monday for cat bait on Tuesday, wb on Wed. for fresh bait on Thurs. and Fri. Fishing has been very good for both. White bass are finicky eaters; they stuff themselves  on midges all morning and reject any other offerings. I use a small silver Mepps spinner to find the ones that cannot give up the urge to give chase. I caught one YOY baby bass that was about the same size as my spinner. Easy to catch a couple dozen bigger wb on every trip. Fun to catch and great fresh bait.

Not a lot of fishing pressure at Lincoln and even the power squads have been limited to after the  morning fishing hours. The water lever is dropping noticeably with the demand for irrigation. Still plenty of water to launch -- about 4 feet in the channel. 

There is a family of skunks that has taken up residency on the launch berms. I have encountered them every morning at about daylight. They patrol the launch area in search of whatever they can find for grub. I had one pass me on the launch today as i was preping to launch. He was within easy range, about six feet, so controlled my  urge to panic and I froze up until he passed. No harm done.

The skeeters ain't too bad this year... at least for me. The midges and smidges are really bad. (Clarification: a smidge is a midge splattered on your windshield, a midge is a protein  particle that nourishes the white bass,)  A few mink observed but no beavers. The ospreys have had a successful hatch and  they are staying close to their nests as they teach the younguns how to fish.

The catfish: Fishing has been great on my last two trips. Caught about 18 Wed. and today I caught too many to count -- had to be better than 30. All were between 24 and 27 inches, with the singular exception of the 31 incher I caught last week. The males are still pretty ugly with a lot of open wounds. The females are big and fat with green backs and white bellies. A good time to take kids fishing.

The algae is getting worse every day... depending on which way the wind blows. A north wind will make the Lincoln area look like a pasture. Bad.

Anyhow, that's my report. In summary, fishing is great and getting better. Some cooler weather would make the fishing better for the fish and the fishermen. The big cats are out there and will be showing up soon. Cool

To be continued...

BLK
Give it another month, school started, powersquad hopefully go away, bow hunt over and temps drop,  I'll be down there with ya, might even try for a cat, but they like my stuff then for sure.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]