Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ultra light Rig - your preferences?
Looking to pick up (2) ultralight spin cast combos

They will be primarily panfish rigs tossing light jigs on 2 and 4 lb line but will see mix species action. 

I have a couple now, but talking to Cookie, she would like, when we are on the water,  to have one setup with her preferred bait delivery system and another for lures so she can switch quick or work one while the other sits on a stick with bait. I like that idea - means I don't have tie and untie her rigs as often and since my eyes are not better better with the age - the idea appeals to me too.

Any who - what have you fall'n in love with that you would recommend. (Rod and reel)
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
When you say "spin cast" do you mean she prefers a closed-face reel? If so, that will be tough because I have yet to find a reel of that design that handles very light lines well. They tangle inside the housing - badly and often. They are designed to use 8# to 10# lines, which most of them come with. And none of them these days are made very well, besides.

There are many good options with regular open-faced spinning reels. You'd be looking for a "10" or "15" size reel for ultralight. (Companies use either a zero or five ending for their size systems.)
(08-10-2020, 12:01 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: When you say "spin cast" do you mean she prefers a closed-face reel? If so, that will be tough because I have yet to find a reel of that design that handles very light lines well. They tangle inside the housing - badly and often. They are designed to use 8# to 10# lines, which most of them come with. And none of them these days are made very well, besides.

There are many good options with regular open-faced spinning reels. You'd be looking for a "10" or "15" size reel for ultralight. (Companies use either a zero or five ending for their size systems.)

Looking for open faced. I still have a few closed face zebcos but they have not seen action since I was a teenager.  Ya I worded that poorly. 

Been looking at the Plugfer (spelling) presidential reels. Both my current utralight rods are 5ft. Was looking to go to longer - maybe a 6.5 ft rod for these new additions.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Quote:both mine have  Okuma ultralight reels. ( I am not a Dicks Sporting Goods fan but they had them at $40 off) One rod is a Fenwick ultra light at 6FT they other is an ugly stick ultra light at 6 1/2 ft.  The wife has the 5ft Ugly stick ultra light and Okuma set up. If I got to do it over again I would get one with a St Croix ultra light rod.  I have no problems ever with the Okuma reels.
I have never owned a Pflueger, but have never heard anything but good about them. I have owned about everything else, including Lew's, Okuma, Daiwa, Garcia, and more. I'm starting to gravitate to all Lew's because they're so dang smooth. But so is my Okuma. A smooth drag is imperative with an ultralight.

Line may be more important than the reel's drag. I really like Nanofil in 6#. It's as small as two-pound mono, but generally break at no less than eight to 10 pounds. The thing with Nanofil is that you absolutely MUST have ultra-smooth rod guides or it will fray. Add a fluoro leader in a lighter pound test, and you're good to go.
A Cabela's trail tourney is a nice combo, only drawback I had is it was a one piece rod that can't be broken down to fit in a trunk.
I have a pfleuger trion that I switch from ice rods to a 5 foot ultra light. I love it! Best drag system there is.
Hey,
  My Ultra Light  is a 5ft Ugly Stick with a Plufeger 5 reel loaded with 6 lb  Nanofil. It has handled everything from small Bluegill with light leader at local ponds with the grandkids to larger catfish at Willard with 14 lb leader. Its great for jigging out of a float tube. Carries 200 yards of 2 lb line and 100 yrds of 6lb Nanofil. Never had a problem with it. Make sure the drag is set properly. 
                                                         thanx
                                                          lee
Stay away from Pflueger. If you do purchase one do not let it get submerged. It will never work well again unless you disassemble and re- grease it. A lesser expensive Shimano in the $80.00 range would treat you much better or even a $60.00 Diawa would be better than a $100.00 Pflueger. A $60.00 Fenwick or Scheels rod in ultra light fast action would treat you well. Be aware though, choices are slim right now even online it seams, especially for rods. If you want to spend more it’s easy, just go a higher end Shimano reel (Ci4) and a St.Croix or GLoomis rod.
Thanks for the input so far. I am leaning hard to a St Croix rod. Pretty hard to go wrong with that choice. But the reel....I was leaning to the Pflueger, but gona check on a few of the other recommendations as BG1 has me thinking a bit

I do have one Presidential Pflueger that has been a good reel, but I dont dunk it - often....
(08-11-2020, 03:15 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Thanks for the input so far. I am leaning hard to a St Croix rod. Pretty hard to go wrong with that choice. But the reel....I was leaning to the Pflueger, but gona check on a few of the other recommendations as BG1 has me thinking a bit

I do have one Presidential Pflueger that has been a good reel, but I dont dunk it - often....
For the money Okuma Ceymar reels are very good at around $40 I own several in differant sizes and love them, they have a very smooth drag. Ceymar Spinning Reels Performance Features
  • Powerful, multi-disc drag system
  • 7BB + 1RB for ultimate smoothness
  • Quick-Set anti-reverse roller bearing
  • Precision, machine cut brass pinion gear
  • Corrosion-resistant Blade Body Design
  • Machined aluminum spool, 2-tone
As far as rods, I really like the Berkly Lighting rods they are very affordable at round $35 dollars they have a sensitive tip with a good stiff back bone for hook setting. I'm a sucker for a good cork handle as well.
Ultra light!? 7' 2-3 weight fly rod! best hands down! Wink
I own a pflueger president on a shimano sojourn ultra light rod and love it.
(08-11-2020, 02:52 PM)fishalot13 Wrote: Ultra light!? 7' 2-3 weight fly rod!  best hands down! Wink

I will still buy a couple, but i have a three wt and a couple spare ice reels. Going to have to try out that modified fly rod concept. I have a number of pack rods meant to go both ways, so makes sense that you can play with a 3 wt and have some fun. Thanks for the idea.
I am embarrassed to admit it, but yesterday I was using a rig that I completely forgot I had bought. It's a 7" ultralight Ugly Stick combo with a Shakespeare reel. Got it at Sportsman's for $49.95 (The sticker is still on the handle!) I spooled it with some of that new Berkeley Ultra 9 line - which was a disappointment. But otherwise the rig is fine. The reel is permanently anti-reverse, but that's it's only drawback. Whether you can still find one under the Covid gear drought is another matter.

The line? It's very very slick, allowing loooong casts. But it's also a bit "springy" and unless there was constant tension on the line, it would leave loops or wrap around the back of the spool. Trying to work a topwater with a jerk and pause retrieve was totally frustrating. It might be better on a larger reel diameter. Maybe. But I'll go back to Nanofil.
I would recommend the Shakespeare Micro Series rods. Available in lengths from 4'6" to 7'6", $19.95. Reels, check out Kast King reels. I have been using the Sharky III reels, but they have all price points. Nice action on the rods, cork handles, stainless steel guides, 2pc. They are graphite blanks.
You won't regret it if you get this setup. And it will last!
https://www.pfluegerfishing.com/pflueger...ml#start=4
MODEL#MONSP7025UL2CBO
(08-11-2020, 02:52 PM)fishalot13 Wrote: Ultra light!? 7' 2-3 weight fly rod!  best hands down! Wink
Way to soft in the butt section.
I have several Pflueger President reels and I have had great luck with them. I have tried several other brands Shimano, Diawa, and okuma in the the same price range and I have to say i like the pflueger reels the best and I've had less problems with them. I have dunked them a few times as well and only had trouble when they got sand or dirt in them a time or two and they cleaned up easy. The same as most of the reels I have used.   I do have some more expensive Shimano reels and like them.  The shimano Stradic is great but $200+. Don't think the stradic is worth the money for a panfish reel.   For the money I think the President is a great reel. Smooth cranking and smooth light drag for pan fish and you don't have to cringe when your buddy drops it on the rocks. Also the weight balances out well on the small ultra light spinning rods.    

I would save money with a president reel and spend it on a sensitive rod for panfish.  I loved the Fenwick Aetos for sensitivity but they quit making them recently.  For a super cheep but sensitive rod the Burkly UL cherrywood HD is an awesome panfish rod for perch and crappie. Matched with a 25X or 35x President its a great combo for $80-$90.  If you want to spend more the st croix triumph is a great rod. Then if money is no object the G loomis Trout series is super sensitive and my all time favorite panfish rod. They come in several UL models as well.  The Aetos was a close second.  

That's my 2 cents.
My thanks to all those who offered up their "best" UL rig. I am sure I would have loved fishing any of them.

The deed is done. Cookie and I were swinging past Cabelas after an appointment, and I told her let's swing in and see what they might have in stock.

She went right to the St Croix display, picked up 6ft, 2 piece, ultra-light, fast-action, Trout Series rig: gave it a few flics, jigs pops and faux casts, looked over at me with a Smile and said " found mine" what you going to get?

Well, that was the only one left,, but they did have a one piece 6ft premier UL, also by St Croix. So I claimed it. The reel was even easier, the only good size 20 reel I could find was the Plugfer Presidential model. Since we have one already and liked it, we grabbed a couple more. Will try to keep the water dunking to a minimum - per advice above.

Now if we can get healthy enough, we will go give them a test.