Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Slope fishing 8/2-8/7
Took a long camping trip with the family to escape the heat. We hit the North slope of the Uintahs, fishing the lakes (Bridger, State Line, China) and smith’s fork river. Caught Brookies in the River and China lake using worms on the river and a spinner on the lake. Olive maribou jigs on State Line and Bridger produced plenty of rainbows to keep my wife content to spend more time lashed to my motorized kayak braving the occasional refreshing splash of water.

[Image: 0062-ADE9-9-DD8-4105-B1-DF-C46-E0-DE2-AE63.jpg]

[Image: 21-D42508-DF79-472-D-B873-F35-ACB16470-F.jpg]

[Image: 2-CF7930-A-D4-BD-4-EE1-BD6-B-6296-DD49997-C.jpg]

[Image: 4-CF90-F0-F-B979-47-C6-9667-F81-E2-ACCFECF.jpg]

I did try trolling for Kokanee one of the mornings we were there, I’ve heard and read the State Line has them. Do any of you have any information on catching them?
Sounds like a lot of fun.  Used to fish those lakes years ago, sorry no info on the kokes.
I dont know about the kokes, either. Never got one out of state line. I have caught grayling in the creek around the meadows. How were the crowds?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(08-10-2020, 12:30 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Sounds like a lot of fun.  Used to fish those lakes years ago, sorry no info on the kokes.

Thanks it was a great time.

(08-10-2020, 12:41 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I dont know about the kokes, either. Never got one out of state line. I have caught grayling in the creek around the meadows. How were the crowds?

Crowds were not bad through the middle of the week, surprisingly sparse. Most of the time we only had two or three pontoons at Bridger Lake. On Friday/Saturday people started showing up in droves, but they weren’t on the water, mostly tearing up the road on ATV’s.
Nice brook for up there! And is that a bull head sculpin? I live 20 min from there and fish all the time!
(08-10-2020, 05:56 PM)fishalot13 Wrote: Nice brook for up there! And is that a bull head sculpin? I live 20 min from there and fish all the time!

Thanks, we catch those nice ones every once in awhile. I hear people call them bullheads all the time, from what I can find they are a mottled sculpin ( https://dwrcdc.nr.utah.gov/rsgis2/Search...m=cottbair )
Nice report. I need to get up there this year.
[Image: 83-EC8-DA1-F2-CA-4-CE2-BE29-FDE5-E4-E7-B75-C.jpg]

[Image: F0-BF996-D-2-F4-A-429-F-87-CC-2-A6-F1657-DA25.jpg]

[Image: 00-E08-E32-8-A73-41-D5-B260-7-E25814-F5-EA3.jpg]Took off after work and had to have a bit of fun my self! I just got a 7 foot 3 weight fly rod.  Great for those tight trees! Yes grew up calling those bull heads and yes they are sculpin.  I got lucky and caught a Colorado Cutt! And the Indian paint brush was everywhere!
(08-11-2020, 02:44 PM)fishalot13 Wrote: Took off after work and had to have a bit of fun my self! I just got a 7 foot 3 weight fly rod.  Great for those tight trees! Yes grew up calling those bull heads and yes they are sculpin.  I got lucky and caught a Colorado Cutt! And the Indian paint brush was everywhere!

Great pics! Yes the Indian Paintbrush is a lot more abundant this year, or so it looked to me. Glad to see you were able to get up there and catch a few. 20 min away, does that put you in Robertson or Mt. View? I grew up in Rock Springs, but moved to the SLC/Ogden area for school/work just over 20 years ago.
Yep I live in Bridger Valley! So many options on the north slope! Best fishing on earth! Im very biased!