Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton Crappie 8/8/20
Took my 4 year old out on the kayak to Newton this weekend and was able to get some crappie in the boat.

We were on the water at 6:30 and left at 8:30 and the bite was pretty steady once we got on top of them. We used a two jig setup with one white curly tail jig and one maribou jig, we caught fish on both. I was casting it out and letting him reel it in from there, he hooked up with 20 or so, but only managed to get 6 to the boat, the biggest being 12". One of the fish took the jig right next to the kayak while I was reaching back to put another fish in the cooler, all he had to do was lift up the rod Smile 

There were clouds of minnows all over the place on the fish finder, and even some small "boils" that would erupt now and then. We saw two muskies cruising around but none even sniffed at our jigs, not that we would have been able to land them if they did anyways.

Water level has come down a lot since the beginning of the year, but the boat ramp is still in the water and plenty of boats were still launching, the power brigade started to show up right as we were leaving.

We made some "crappie cakes" from the catch and they were a hit with the 4 and 2 year old in my home. Fun times![Image: IMG-20200802-092219.jpg]
Sounds like a morning well spent. Crappie cakes also sound great, anything you'd care to share on making those?
(08-10-2020, 05:42 PM)JArner Wrote: Sounds like a morning well spent. Crappie cakes also sound great, anything you'd care to share on making those?
 They were great, the soft texture of the crappie worked well with the recipe.

Here's the one that I used.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/recipe-fried-crappie-cakes/
(08-10-2020, 04:00 PM)F15Hwhisperer Wrote: Took my 4 year old out on the kayak to Newton this weekend and was able to get some crappie in the boat.

We were on the water at 6:30 and left at 8:30 and the bite was pretty steady once we got on top of them. We used a two jig setup with one white curly tail jig and one maribou jig, we caught fish on both. I was casting it out and letting him reel it in from there, he hooked up with 20 or so, but only managed to get 6 to the boat, the biggest being 12". One of the fish took the jig right next to the kayak while I was reaching back to put another fish in the cooler, all he had to do was lift up the rod Smile 

There were clouds of minnows all over the place on the fish finder, and even some small "boils" that would erupt now and then. We saw two muskies cruising around but none even sniffed at our jigs, not that we would have been able to land them if they did anyways.

Water level has come down a lot since the beginning of the year, but the boat ramp is still in the water and plenty of boats were still launching, the power brigade started to show up right as we were leaving.

We made some "crappie cakes" from the catch and they were a hit with the 4 and 2 year old in my home. Fun times![Image: IMG-20200802-092219.jpg]
Thanks for the information on the water level and boat launch. So the power squad has invaded there to. Wish the Rangers would do something, anything to teach them Manners. And the law.
What color was best for the crappie? Did you fish in the upper arm around the weed line?
(08-10-2020, 08:19 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 04:00 PM)F15Hwhisperer Wrote: Took my 4 year old out on the kayak to Newton this weekend and was able to get some crappie in the boat.

Thanks for the information on the water level and boat launch. So the power squad has invaded there to. Wish the Rangers would do something, anything to teach them Manners. And the law.
What color was best for the crappie? Did you fish in the upper arm around the weed line?

We used white jigs, they hit them well, so we never had to switch.

We were closer to the dam than the upper arm, the crappie were pretty active on the surface in the morning, so I looked for rising fish and paddled over close enough to cast into them. They were sitting around the weed line, about 7-10 ft of water. Not sure what everyone was catching, but it seemed like most people, from the banks or boats or wherever were bringing in at least a few fish.
Great report, very informative. Thank you. Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I really like that little lake. Its got a little bit of everything and its close to the Aggie Ice-cream

Thanks for putting it on my radar for a trip soon ' maybe as school starts up and the crowds thin.. I can hit the coin shop too
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew