Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Skunked at Strawberry..8-10
Buddy and I were tempted to just pull in to Jordanelle this morning, instead of Strawberry, as the Berry has been pretty slow for me these past few weeks....but we resisted, and pulled into the marina 0600, lines in water 0630....very lite boat traffic at that time, and only lite activity thruought the lake today....no wind, 'til we left at 1130, then pretty stiff....We fished mostly South and East today, just wanting to try something different....I did get something different...my first hit, off typical kokanee set, a 12" chub...that was a surprise, not a good one....he got bonked and then fed to the birds..(sorry, I know some of you would have kept it for bait)...finally we each got a small koke past Haws Pt., then the normal 10 to 18" cutts off and on....Nothing past Rainbow Pt....finally I got a better hit and tug, pulling in my first decent koke in 3 weeks, and then doing the back and forth troll a couple more times in the area, got an even nicer 18"er...all at that grey/pink stage, but still nice fish....no more kokes, but a couple more cutts trolling back to the marina to end the morning... the larger kokes hit at 44', and smaller ones about 33/35....That foot long chub bothered me, but worse than that was catching another one just like it a couple hours after that first one....In 6 years trolling here, this -- these, were the first chubs I've caught..Are they getting bad again? Otherwise, we had a pretty okay morning...Guluk...
(08-11-2020, 05:24 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Buddy and I were tempted to just pull in to Jordanelle this morning, instead of Strawberry, as the Berry has been pretty slow for me these past few weeks....but we resisted, and pulled into the marina 0600, lines in water 0630....very lite boat traffic at that time, and only lite activity thruought the lake today....no wind, 'til we left at 1130, then pretty stiff....We fished mostly South and East today, just wanting to try something different....I did get something different...my first hit, off typical kokanee set, a 12" chub...that was a surprise, not a good one....he got bonked and then fed to the birds..(sorry, I know some of you would have kept it for bait)...finally we each got a small koke past Haws Pt., then the normal 10 to 18" cutts off and on....Nothing past Rainbow Pt....finally I got a better hit and tug, pulling in my first decent koke in 3 weeks, and then doing the back and forth troll a couple more times in the area, got an even nicer 18"er...all at that grey/pink stage, but still nice fish....no more kokes, but a couple more cutts trolling back to the marina to end the morning... the larger kokes hit at 44', and smaller ones about 33/35....That foot long chub bothered me, but worse than that was catching another one just like it a couple hours after that first one....In 6 years trolling here, this -- these, were the first chubs I've caught..Are they getting bad again? Otherwise, we had a pretty okay morning...Guluk...
I'm glad you found a few kokes, did you try any red set ups like we talked about, There is a Ririe string on the Idaho board in it a couple people talked about finding some success this time of year on red.
I tried a green/mix with a streak of red in it, just 1 cutt...tried my darker pinks, and lighter pinks, my buddy tried orange...just cutts on all those....my 2 better kokes on Rainbow Assasin, plus a couple cutts on it....so I'll be re-tying that one....just don't have much else with more real red in it...tried a dodger with some red in it also, but my larger customized silver dodger w/assasin did work on this (again) slower A.M....reddish/orange Apex caught me a chub, a Brad's cut plug in silver/green/red got me 0, and I was trying all different combos of dodgers...Might try Friday again....You talking something totally red, or partial red? or the dodgers in red?