Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spawning Kokes at The Berry
Thumbs Up 
While I was up at Strawberry this weekend, I stopped by the river there by the visitor center to see what was swimming up. Last year at this time, there were fish starting to stage on the lower part of the river.

I noticed that there were at least four beaver dams between the egg collection station, and the mouth of the river, preventing the salmon from making it up. I talked to the Forest service guys at the visitors center about it, and they didn't seem to know anything. Wondering if the DWR will come through and clear those? Otherwise we're going to have a crappy next couple years of Koke fishing.
(08-19-2020, 09:44 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: While I was up at Strawberry this weekend, I stopped by the river there by the visitor center to see what was swimming up. Last year at this time, there were fish starting to stage on the lower part of the river.

I noticed that there were at least four beaver dams between the egg collection station, and the mouth of the river, preventing the salmon from making it up. I talked to the Forest service guys at the visitors center about it, and they didn't seem to know anything. Wondering if the DWR will come through and clear those? Otherwise we're going to have a crappy next couple years of Koke fishing.

That might be an important thing for the fish to actually be able to get to the hatchery! Hopefully they discover it before October rolls around and they have no eggs. I assume there is a path for the spawning fish to follow upriver even if it runs through beaver dams but if it is impassable to fish that would be a problem. Forest service is not the ones to notify, DWR would be best as they are the ones running the hatchery and harvesting eggs.
Might surprise you just how much those fish can clear on there own. Just saying
Unless it is a really tall beaver dam, those ponds are an important part of the Kokanee reproducing and spawning in the beaver ponds.  I grew up in Alaska and the salmon utilized the ponds for spawning.
That egg collection process is very important to DWR's management plan, so I am very sure they are aware of them. If they present a problem, DWR will do what ever is necessary. Remember, they also collect eggs at several other locations around the state, which improves the genetic diversity of the fish spawned out. Also, these are fish that can jump 10-12 ft up natural falls in Alaska to spawn.
(08-19-2020, 09:44 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: While I was up at Strawberry this weekend, I stopped by the river there by the visitor center to see what was swimming up. Last year at this time, there were fish starting to stage on the lower part of the river.

Those salmon will find a way over or under the dams.  Beaver dams are a naturally occurring "speedbump" for the salmon in their natural habitat. The strongest will always make the trip home.