Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee Run at Strawberry 8-19-20
Well, mostly they Ran Away from us, again....Lines in water about 0645, and only about 5 mins before I got a hit at 44' off my rainbow assasin...9" releaser koke...I thought, at least it wasn't a cutt, and maybe there were some kokes in the area...Not so much....our next 7 or 8 were all cutts, some up to 20", but not what we came for....more trolling, dodging a few other boats that also thought there should be kokes in the area.....finally about 0830 I did get a decent pink stage 18"er, and was again optimistic for awhile....but then nothing again, and I switched my DR lure to high glo chartreus....chartreus always works for me on the cutts, and it did it's job for me; 3 or 4 more cutts, but no more kokes no matter what color lure or dodger I tried....more trolling....lots of S-turns, adjusting speed, trying depths 35 to 57'...finally my buddy got hit on his rainbow assasin, reeling in a nice silver koke....this was about 1000, more dredging up seaweed and a couple more cutts, and no more hits after 1100....hot, and no wind, and no more bites, so off the water by noon....My last Kokanee Run for the season, and although kokes were more scarce for us this summer, the boating, the scenery, escaping Covid crap, and some nice fish, all helped make for good days on the water......Good to meet BFTer Bduck at the ramp coming off.... Cool
(08-20-2020, 05:57 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: ......Good to meet BFTer Bduck at the ramp coming off.... Cool
Escaping the heat of the valley was my thing for the day until I got back home to be reminded why I went in the first place. Strawberry has always been a favorite for that along with some fine kokanee fishing. This day the kokes eluded me. I know I had one when my rod was slammed & got a brief tail dance but a self release squashed my only hope for the day. I did catch about 15 cutts and mostly were some descent size that would match some kokes. Most were in the 18-21" range unfortunately slots. Admittingly a couple did show a feisty fight giving me hope they were kokes. Can't win them all.
It was also good meeting Jmorfish, until next time time Joe. Smile
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I'm not seeing the number of fish on my fishfinder at strawberry that I saw this time last year plus the ones that are there do not like to bite.
sometimes you can luck out and find a setup they like that day