Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappie New Fishing Opportunity
Did anyone else notice the reports of several stockings of Black Crappie in Strawberry?

They were relatively small stockings, and it will be years before you could successfully target them, but interesting to see the DWR experimenting with their prize hen.
I figured you must have misread the stocking report and had to pull it up myself - I mean mess with their bread an butter hard to believe - but you are spot on they have put crappie in - fascinating - Pat I would love to get a DWR perspective on this move
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(08-24-2020, 12:13 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I figured you must have misread the stocking report and had to pull it up myself - I mean mess with their bread an butter hard to believe - but you are spot on they have put crappie in - fascinating - Pat I would love to get a DWR perspective on this move
Looking at the stocking reports, the DWR has been engaged in some interesting shenanigans. I saw where they've stocked tens of thousands of splake into Jordanelle
(08-24-2020, 12:13 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I figured you must have misread the stocking report and had to pull it up myself - I mean mess with their bread an butter hard to believe - but you are spot on they have put crappie in - fascinating - Pat I would love to get a DWR perspective on this move
I sent Chris Penne an Email about this, guess we will find if it's true.
(08-23-2020, 11:39 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: Did anyone else notice the reports of several stockings of Black Crappie in Strawberry?

They were relatively small stockings, and it will be years before you could successfully target them, but interesting to see the DWR experimenting with their prize hen.

Sounds great.  Now if they would also stock some sterile lake trout.
(08-24-2020, 12:41 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Chris is in the northern region office.  I think Alan Ward is the guy you need to talk with.  He is the Strawberry Reservoir manager.

I'm excited that the DWR is shaking things up. Big Grin
(08-24-2020, 01:33 AM)gofish435 Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 12:41 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Chris is in the northern region office.  I think Alan Ward is the guy you need to talk with.  He is the Strawberry Reservoir manager.

I'm excited that the DWR is shaking things up. Big Grin

I could be wrong but I heard something about Chris being promoted but not sure to what area in the DNR.
I have my doubts about crappie doing well in Strawberry. It already has some Small Mouth Bass and they grow super slow.

I would be interested in knowing what is going on.
Interesting ! As far as the smallmouth, I am not sure if they grow slow or just that there are very few. I have heard reliable rumors of some pretty big ones spotted up there. The conditions at Strawberry, if the right SMB were introduced would not be greatly different than some of the Northern Lakes in our country where they do well.
Crappie would love all the minnow hanging out in the shallows near the weed banks. Will be fun to see how that turns out.
Mildog
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
With my garmin live scope I see Millions for fish in schools  over 50 fish,  that are down 10 to 30 feet at strawberry some scatter when they see my boat, others will come down and look at my lures.  it makes it hard to read a fishfinder I have though about taking  a casting net  and see if I can get me some bait.
I cannot find any reference to stocking crappie in Strawberry in 2020 or 2019. I saw Starvation in 2019 and 2018 but no crappie in 2020. Am I looking at the right stocking list?
(08-24-2020, 03:58 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: I have my doubts about crappie doing well in Strawberry.  It already has some Small Mouth Bass and they grow super slow.

I would be interested in knowing what is going on.
Just got the word from Chris Penne, it was for use a misprint. Here is what he said:

"Definitely a misprint.  I'll let our hatchery coordinator know.  When entering the data into our stocking database, there is a drop down menu for selecting the species stocked.  I'm thinking that instead of selecting Bear Lake Cutthroat Trout, the person entering the data accidentally selected the nearby Black Crappie.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Curt. 

Chris"
Makes more sense. I would think they would throw them in Jordonelle before Strawberry.

First, they are already in the drainage so no June Sucker problem.
Second, they could do well in J. More of their kind of structure, a little lower and warmer.
They put everything else in there...