Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preston Area
I spent the past hour trying to figure the current status of waters around Preston to launch a float tube.

It appears that Twin Lakes and Glendale are shut down to boat launching till next year. The Consolidated Canal Co. recreation page on their website appears broken.

Are there any restrictions on the following waters?

Foster
Lamont
Johnson
Winder
Condie
Treasureton
Weston
Oneida

Thanks for your help.
(09-24-2020, 06:03 PM)fish_digger Wrote: I spent the past hour trying to figure the current status of waters around Preston to launch a float tube.

It appears that Twin Lakes and Glendale are shut down to boat launching till next year. The Consolidated Canal Co. recreation page on their website appears broken.

Foster
Lamont
Johnson
Winder
Condie
Treasureton
Weston
Oneida

Thanks for your help.

Any reservoir owned by both consolidated canal company and twin lakes reservoirs are shut down to anything that floats on the water as of the end of August.  You can fish from the banks but nothing on the water. Other than that, you will have to contact the canal company that owns the reservoirs.

The ones I know this applies to are: Glendale, Foster, Lamont, and Johnson are all controlled by Consolidated, Twin Lakes by the Twin Lakes canal company.  Sorry I cant help you past there. Onieda is open year round as far as I know .
I fished at Oneida last Saturday and there was still plenty of water and fish.
(09-24-2020, 06:03 PM)fish_digger Wrote: I spent the past hour trying to figure the current status of waters around Preston to launch a float tube.

Foster
Lamont
Johnson
Winder
Condie
Treasureton
Weston
Oneida

Thanks for your help.

I talked to Consolidated about it and they said if you can carry it by hand to the water at Glendale, you can use it. So float tubes are fine. They also said the other lakes they own are open for fishing and the ramps don’t close. Hopefully Twin Lakes is the same as I’m likely buying a house in Clifton this summer.
(02-02-2021, 05:18 AM)gstott Wrote: I talked to Consolidated about it and they said if you can carry it by hand to the water at Glendale, you can use it. So float tubes are fine. They also said the other lakes they own are open for fishing and the ramps don’t close. Hopefully Twin Lakes is the same as I’m likely buying a house in Clifton this summer.
Well, thats a lot different than we've been told in past so either they have changed or someone doesnt really know what they are requiring. There are signs on each of the ramps/reservoirs where you launch with information on them.  As for Twin, they actually put a chain n padlock across the ramps so you cant launch and they are pretty strict on nothing being on the water outside of their time frames.  Again, if things have changed, folks might want to post the actual regs because we've been through all of this with them before and they have stopped us from launching.

Here is the link to what is happening on Twin Lakes - http://twinlakescanalcompany.com/recreation.html

If you take note, Twin does charge a fee for non-motorized watercraft under 10 ft so your float tube does count. 

For those of you who have Facebook, here is the FB page for the Franklin County Reservoir Alliance.  They keep things pretty well up to date on what you can or cant do on the waters and when you can or cant launch.  Good luck. https://www.facebook.com/FranklinCountyR...irAlliance
(02-02-2021, 12:02 PM)duksnfish Wrote:
(02-02-2021, 05:18 AM)gstott Wrote: I talked to Consolidated about it and they said if you can carry it by hand to the water at Glendale, you can use it. So float tubes are fine. They also said the other lakes they own are open for fishing and the ramps don’t close. Hopefully Twin Lakes is the same as I’m likely buying a house in Clifton this summer.
Well, thats a lot different than we've been told in past so either they have changed or someone doesnt really know what they are requiring. There are signs on each of the ramps/reservoirs where you launch with information on them.  As for Twin, they actually put a chain n padlock across the ramps so you cant launch and they are pretty strict on nothing being on the water outside of their time frames.  Again, if things have changed, folks might want to post the actual regs because we've been through all of this with them before and they have stopped us from launching.

Here is the link to what is happening on Twin Lakes - http://twinlakescanalcompany.com/recreation.html

If you take note, Twin does charge a fee for non-motorized watercraft under 10 ft so your float tube does count. 

For those of you who have Facebook, here is the FB page for the Franklin County Reservoir Alliance.  They keep things pretty well up to date on what you can or cant do on the waters and when you can or cant launch.  Good luck. https://www.facebook.com/FranklinCountyR...irAlliance
[Image: B89-ADFEA-5-A2-B-4-D35-B31-C-70-C7972698-C9.png]This is what consolidated said in a Facebook message to me. I hope that they’re right
Well, I hope thats correct because as I have said before, its not what they have told all of us in the past.  Good luck if you can get on that way, and, the big problem when the ice melts and you go to put on, there is no place open around there to get a sticker or boat inspected I should say right now. The inspection stations will be opening sometime soon, the one at Malad on the interstate opened about 10 days ago, but I dont know when the one at Franklin opens.  Ill shout out to my contact down there and see what is going on. He knows about everything happening and works doing some of the inspections. 
I say that I hope you get on now when the ramps supposedly are not closed on some waters, because some have been pushed off before for trespassing due to signage around there.  It is confusing I will admit so good luck.  The last I knew, the Alliance you got a FB reply from isnt run by the actual canal companies, it is run by a person who works for the NRCS in Preston, so the info from the canal companies, I would actually call them to get accurate information if you want on right away.
Franklin was open and checking boats 2 weeks ago
I bought my sticker at Stokes Market in Preston
Good luck!
Thanks for the update Panchodog. Here is a weblink that gives you some info on the tags etc for all of the reservoirs that Consolidated has. It looks like you need a tag for even watercraft that you hand carry to the water.  look at the tag info under the small watercraft tag. The Franklin County Reservoir Alliance FB page has changed hands.  [color=var(--blue-link)]lyla dettme[/color]r who works for the NRCS is helping Consolidated with the FB page.  It used to be owned/operated by a group of locals from Preston, but, I was informed this morning Consolidated has taken the FB page over and posts their info there. They have also asked Twin Lakes to post their info there too if they want but nothing so far this year. I asked a couple questions on the page this morning and I only got part of an answer to my questions so I re-asked them and have not heard anything back. 

Apparently from what I was told this morning, there is now a contractor for Glendale who works for Consolidated.  Before they worked for Consolidated so there may be some more changes coming this year. Thats what I have found out today.
(04-23-2021, 09:17 PM)duksnfish Wrote: Thanks for the update Panchodog. Here is a weblink that gives you some info on the tags etc for all of the reservoirs that Consolidated has. It looks like you need a tag for even watercraft that you hand carry to the water.  look at the tag info under the small watercraft tag. The Franklin County Reservoir Alliance FB page has changed hands.  [color=var(--blue-link)]lyla dettme[/color]r who works for the NRCS is helping Consolidated with the FB page.  It used to be owned/operated by a group of locals from Preston, but, I was informed this morning Consolidated has taken the FB page over and posts their info there. They have also asked Twin Lakes to post their info there too if they want but nothing so far this year. I asked a couple questions on the page this morning and I only got part of an answer to my questions so I re-asked them and have not heard anything back. 

Apparently from what I was told this morning, there is now a contractor for Glendale who works for Consolidated.  Before they worked for Consolidated so there may be some more changes coming this year. Thats what I have found out today.
It definitely sounds like consolidated is trying to make this all work more than Twin Lakes is. I’m still in Washington state until around August 1st, but I’m likely buying a home in Clifton, Idaho, so I hope there will be some places to fish. It will be kind of a shame living right next to Twin Lakes if I can’t fish it. I’m hoping I can use my kayak there during the times before they start checking ski boats there. Ski boats and kayaks definitely don’t go well together.
Actually Twin lakes has one huge advantage over Glendale.  At Twin, they will inspect your boat right there.  You dont have to worry about driving to Franklin or another State Inspection station to get validated to fish, ski, or any other water activity. Twin, well I was going to say Twin gets huge groups and a lot of impact during the summer, but, any more Glendale has huge crowds any more too.  

Either place you need to hit the water early, and then generally off by 11 at the latest.  At Glendale, as long as you have your inspection and leave it on the dash of your truck so they can see it, you can launch any time before they open generally around 7 am.  Sometimes they open a little earlier.  At Twin, they dont unlock the gates if your day fishing until 7 so by the time you get inspected and through the gate and launched, it is a good half hour or more to get on the water.

But, both are getting good panfish and some awesome bass populations  so generally both are good. So, to say one place has it above the other, both have pro's and cons that we have to deal with.  One thing I do know, is that back when both started charging the daily entrance fee of around 20 bucks out of county residents, the overall use has gone down and their money intake dropped drastically.  Many of us told them that but they didnt care.  Their bottom line is they are partial to County residents only and thats what they push for so thats a lot what you get.  But, with these reservoirs being some of the only panfishing on the East side of the state, it attracts a lot of people for some tasty eating.

Good luck and living in Clifton, youll have your choice and being a Franklin resident, your costs wont be near what many of us have to pay for a day out on the water there.
Sounds like living in Franklin County will help me out for sure. Now if I can just convince them to let me take my kayak out on Winder. That was an awesome bass lake but now it’s no watercraft if any kind according to Twin Lakes. Oh well, getting to explore Twin and Glendale during the cooler months without worry of ski boats running me over will be pretty great too.
(04-24-2021, 06:15 PM)gstott Wrote: Sounds like living in Franklin County will help me out for sure. Now if I can just convince them to let me take my kayak out on Winder. That was an awesome bass lake but now it’s no watercraft if any kind according to Twin Lakes. Oh well, getting to explore Twin and Glendale during the cooler months without worry of ski boats running me over will be pretty great too.
Here's the link for everyone on Twin Lake and their regs.  They have really opened it up from what they have in the past.  Sorry about Winder, that used to be no motors back whenever but I cant remember. lol. Good luck - http://twinlakescanalcompany.com/recreation.html
(04-25-2021, 01:35 PM)duksnfish Wrote:
(04-24-2021, 06:15 PM)gstott Wrote: Sounds like living in Franklin County will help me out for sure. Now if I can just convince them to let me take my kayak out on Winder. That was an awesome bass lake but now it’s no watercraft if any kind according to Twin Lakes. Oh well, getting to explore Twin and Glendale during the cooler months without worry of ski boats running me over will be pretty great too.
Here's the link for everyone on Twin Lake and their regs.  They have really opened it up from what they have in the past.  Sorry about Winder, that used to be no motors back whenever but I cant remember. lol. Good luck - http://twinlakescanalcompany.com/recreation.html
Yeah I remember when they first started with this whole thing, if I remember correctly Twin Lakes shut down all of their lakes to any kind of watercraft. Then the next year I could go out on Winder again. Not sure when they went back to no watercraft there. Still, it seems like they’re all moving back in the right direction again. Maybe someday Winder will be back to motorless. I really don’t see a difference on that. I don’t see a lot of people taking their float tubes to Lake Powell. I’d settle for a float tube only reg like at Weston.