Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach Friday
I knew I wanted to go fishing yesterday, somewhere...........  couldn't quite decide.  Got the boat hooked up, stopped for gas . When I pulled out of the station, I ended up in the on-ramp lane for I15 south, so that decided it, going to UL.
Drive south and traffic was pretty good for a Friday morning. But arriving at the LB after daylight, I fully expected to see several rigs already in the lot.  
Man oh man....... I was first one there.... Cool  Got launched and headed out at 0838 a.m.
Air temp was 62 ish, water temp was 64.8, breeze was very very light and initially out of the north west, changing to out of north east later in morning. 

Motored out into about 8 fow heading north- west, kinda towards the Knolls. But as I got past the L and between the Orchards and the trailers, I was picking up alot of fish marks on the sonar, so I stopped, dropped anchor, set out one line with bait and started casting one line with small flig and Gulp minnow.  
Well all the swimming fish must have already had their breakfast, cuz got no interest in the Gulp minnow.  Did get a medium size Bullhead on the baited line. 

Spent the next 2.5 hours moving and stopping at various spots. Even kind of tucked slowly and quietly in between the waders and a small toon angler. Some tentative nibbles now and then but no real hits on bait or plastics. 

Was working my way back to the channel and about 50 yards slightly south-west of the buoy line the sonar practically blacked out with fish arcs.  Dropped anchor, set out 2 lines with the last of my bait. 
Had pre-float planned to the wife that I would be leaving at 1 p.m. so while the lines were out, I started getting things stowed away on the boat. Was down to only items left were the poles and net. Started reeling one line in and it snagged. Brought second line in, pulled up the anchor, started up motor to back up to release snag. Line went slack, started reeling and line bent over hard, and started to go under the boat. Sure a funny acting snag.............got line back out from under boat and had about a 5 minute tug fest with a good size Cat.  From seeing it in the water, then in the net, I thought maybe I had been able to finally join the "UL 30" club".  But, alas, only  27 incher that wouldn't even give me a 1/2 inch bump. Released only slightly worse for the blood upper lip. 

[Image: 044-25-Sep-2020-0838-a-m.jpg]  [Image: 045-0920-a-m.jpg]  [Image: 046-1213-p-m-27-in-Cat-CPR.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Sounds like you finished up with some good tugs.  Those Utah Lake cats over about 25 inches can be a bit stubborn to bring to the net.

I'll bet if you had some white bass for bait you might have done better.  Most of us hardcore catters have been doing much better with white bass than anything else.
Wink 
Good report even if the fish were not doing their part. I agree with TD about the wb thing... seems to be the go to bait now. Probably because there are so many yoy wb that are easy pickin's for the kitties.

I went out this a.m. on a bait run. Arrived at LB at about 6:50 or so and a half dozen or so boats had already launched. The launches did not seem to spook the baby wb  out of the channel cuz they were still popping the surface after emerging midges. I threw my usual small spinner at them but they ignored it and continued feeding on the emergers.
I moved on around to Mulberry and picked up half dozen wb for a Monday trip.

Last Wed. I fished from the springs around to BS in about 6-7 fow and had good luck catching mostly cutters... did ketch two that were 28 inchers. I released the 34 incher I caught a couple of weeks ago in the launch channel and was hoping she might still be in the area, recovered from a sore mouth, and ready to feed again. Smile  Maybe Monday.

October should provide some good fishun'. Plenty of time to boost some southern scores.

To be continued...

BLK
(09-26-2020, 04:18 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Sounds like you finished up with some good tugs.  Those Utah Lake cats over about 25 inches can be a bit stubborn to bring to the net.

I'll bet if you had some white bass for bait you might have done better.  Most of us hardcore catters have been doing much better with white bass than anything else.

Yep, if I'd had some wb I may have done better.  But I didn't and couldn't seem to entice any to join me on the water.

Someone once told me that IF was the biggest 1 syllable word in the English language.  

But no matter.  I had a fair day on the water and didn't have to tote home one of those southern area skunks.... Cool  .

Cool
(09-27-2020, 09:43 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(09-26-2020, 04:18 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Sounds like you finished up with some good tugs.  Those Utah Lake cats over about 25 inches can be a bit stubborn to bring to the net.

Yep, if I'd had some wb I may have done better.  But I didn't and couldn't seem to entice any to join me on the water.

Someone once told me that IF was the biggest 1 syllable word in the English language.  

But no matter.  I had a fair day on the water and didn't have to tote home one of those southern area skunks.... Cool  .
Lemme know the next time you come down.  I usually have some frozen white bass I would be glad to donate...even to a northerner (with the appropriate paperwork of course).  And there have been times when frozen/thawed white bass worked better than fresh.  I always freeze up some of my extras...for those times when the fresh ones don't wanna volunteer.  And it always seems to be those times when you really NEED some white bass that they get finicky.
Glad to hear you didn't get skunked. I went out Saturday for the maiden voyage. I just kept motor tilted up slightly just in case in channel but didn't have a problem. We tried to anchor fish but my anchors are to small for this boat so I was dragging them. So I switched to drifting with the wind but it was circling so it was swirling the boat and messing up lines so we decided to drive the boat around and see how it performs. It goes well left steering is tight but all in all it goes great. Does about 31 mph according to GPS on my phone. I plan to take it out a time or two more to burn some stabilizer through it and use up some of the gas but I'll probably use provo just to be safe. But I thank you for the info and may seek out more.
(09-29-2020, 03:28 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Glad to hear you didn't get skunked. I went out Saturday for the maiden voyage. I just kept motor tilted up slightly just in case in channel but didn't have a problem. We tried to anchor fish but my anchors are to small for this boat so I was dragging them. So I switched to drifting with the wind but it was circling so it was swirling the boat and messing up lines so we decided to drive the boat around and see how it performs. It goes well left steering is tight but all in all it goes great. Does about 31 mph according to GPS on my phone. I plan to take it out a time or two more to burn some stabilizer through it and use up some of the gas but I'll probably use provo just to be safe. But I thank you for the info and may seek out more.

Justin,  glad to hear the "new" boat worked well.  Don't know what type anchor you are using, but if it came with the boat, and the boat was mostly used for pulling water toys, skis, etc. it's quite likely the wrong type.  For an anchor to work effectively, it needs to be able to "dig" into the floor of whatever body of water you may be on. 
If the anchor you have looks something like this:  Then it will more than likely just bump along the bottom and not grab.

[Image: 039a.jpg]   

If you have one that looks like this:  It's the correct type, but it may not be grabbing the bottom if it doesn't have a chain attached between the anchor and the anchor rope. 

[Image: 037a.jpg]

This type of anchor, the tines pivot .  The chain attached causes the center anchor loop to lay down when it hits the bottom, then as it is dragged the tines dig into the bottom surface. 

The boaters course I took many years (50 ish) ago in California (for small sail type boats) had something in it that I don't completely remember, but it was like, for whatever the depth is you anchor in, you should put out 3 times that amount  in rope length to the anchor.  

Well, I don't believe anyone actually does that except for maybe very large ocean going vessels.   The anchor on my little boat has 50 ft. of line attached, and I have about 200 ft. total extra robe stowed on the boat. 
When I drop anchor, I know what depth I'm in, I drop the anchor, the 5 ft. of chain, and roughly whatever amount of rope that makes up the total for the depth I'm in.  

Your new boat is 20 ft. long and quite a bit heavier that mine, so it would need a bit larger anchor. But in my experience, and Danforth type anchor is the best all around type. 

Cool
Ill try one it can't hurt. I had mushroom type in my 17' boat and they worked well around bird island even in flats but they are only 10 lbers not nearly heafty enough for this big boat. But I'll get some chain and another anchor and we will see how it goes. Thanks for suggestion on anchor there are so many it's hard for me to choose
Yep, I've used my Danforth anchor on both my boats, 17 ft. and 14 ft.  Works well.  That 20 lb. "mushroom" anchor in photo was given me as a gift a year or so ago. Person that gave it to me thought it would be good for dropping off  the boat stern to keep boat from swinging back and forth in a light wind or the river current. 
Well it did accomplish that, sort of. But dropping it in the river or on Willard in areas that had mud bottoms, it was almost impossible to pull up. It would fill with mud, and turned a 20 lb. anchor into a rope stretching 100 lb. plus ball of mud and water    Sad  . 
Tried to use it by myself and almost couldn't get it back in the boat.

Cool
Great report Forest! I'm glad those cats came through for you in the end. I'm with TD, white bass bait is doing really well right now. I seem to be able to get whites in most hard bottom areas on small gulp minnows, small chunks of their cousins or even worms dragged along the bottom.
Jim, you seem to have more success than anyone at catching wb while dragging for cats. How do you do that? Are you catching them on your cat setups or a wb dedicated rig?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.