Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing a boat behind a pickup bed camper
I'll be loading my camper on my pickup soon for the elk and deer hunts and will be leaving it on for the duration. I still want to tow my boat to the lake a few times to see if I can catch just one more big cat. Problem is that the camper extends too far back. I have a drawbar extension about six feet long that puts the ball far enough back but I worry about using it. Has anybody ever used one? Is it safe? Any advice?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(09-28-2020, 05:08 PM)catchinon Wrote: I'll be loading my camper on my pickup soon for the elk and deer hunts and will be leaving it on for the duration. I still want to tow my boat to the lake a few times to see if I can catch just one more big cat. Problem is that the camper extends too far back. I have a drawbar extension about six feet long that puts the ball far enough back but I worry about using it. Has anybody ever used one? Is it safe? Any advice?

Out of my expertise, sorry. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Doable but difficult unless you got lotsa help. I had my g-son back mine in once with a shell on the truck. I developed a mild case of hip displacia while trying to apply a little body English to the process. Take is slow and easy and it can be done. Best done when there are no other launchers or fishermen to watch.
I have done it for years.

You just need to get the right extension. A lot depends on the weight of your boat. If it's big enough you may need something like the TorkLift SuperHitch SuperTruss Receiver Extension.
I have done it for 10 years. I had a 8.5 foot camper. Inside a 6.5 box. It fit perfectly with the tailgate down. My hitch extension was about 3 feet long.
I made it myself. I had no problems.
The last 5 years I installed a front receiver hitch, so I can push the boat into the water and have complete control. I use that front receiver for lots of things, cargo basket, bike rack, boat launching.
What size is your camper, I've seen your truck.
Just remember that steering corrections will be exaggerated with the hitch point being further from the pivot point of the back axle.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
3 pieces of advice from an old CDL driver

1.  Remember the shorter the trailer, the faster it turns

2.   If in ANY doubt of what is behind you or what your clearances are,  get out and look  (set brake first) 

3. When ever possible, use a spotter. Be sure the spotter stays where you can see them, and hear them, but out of the path
of travel.  

doitall500's idea of a receiver hitch on the front is outstanding........ that's how the boat dealers move boats around on their lots. Either a truck with receiver hitch on the front, or a fork lift with 2" hitch ball welded to one fork. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks for all the responses; good stuff, all. Thanks.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(10-10-2020, 12:56 PM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks for all the responses; good stuff, all. Thanks.
Craig,

I sent you a PM with some pictures.  You may want to take a look.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."