Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pics of new pond at the North end of Willard
Ira and I got up to Willard yesterday and we decided to take a few pics of the pond they are building just outside the entrance to the park. It is a lot bigger than I thought it would be and the deep end is a lot deeper. They are putting structure in there and what looks like a launch for small craft. Fishing report below pics.
[Image: 100-3446.jpg]

[Image: 100-3445.jpg]

[Image: 100-3444.jpg]

[Image: 100-3443.jpg]

[Image: 100-3442.jpg]

[Image: 100-3441.jpg]

[Image: 100-3440.jpg]

[Image: 100-3439.jpg]

Remember you can click on any pic to enlarge it. Last pic is the only fish we caught while trolling. 
After several hours of trolling in very stained water we gave up and went to fligging. We fligged just outside the North marina in one of TD's favorite areas. We started catching cats right away, with most over 20" and the big one going 25 & 1/2 inches, all of the big fish were very fat. We saw many dead or dying shad right on the surface, so the colder water temp are taking a toll on the young of the year. Should have taken a pic of the big cat but we did not think about it until it was back in the water. Water level is about 5 ft lower than it was at this time last year, with it only being about 7 to 8 ft in the marina. Almost forgot to mention, while blue/silver caught a few cats, the dark olive was the hot flig yesterday.
Curt,
I've seen that big hole being dug as I come down the freeway from the river. I thought it was a holding pond for something. Do you know is it actually going to be a fishing pond ? Maybe for bank fishing like the community ponds ?
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(10-01-2020, 09:30 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Curt,
I've seen that big hole being dug as I come down the freeway from the river. I thought it was a holding pond for something. Do you know is it actually going to be a fishing pond ? Maybe for bank fishing like the community ponds ?
Yes Forest, that is exactly what it's going to be, a new Community pond and from the size of it and the depth, it looks like it will be the deepest one they have ever made. After talking to the Willard park manager, they plan on stocking everything that is in Willard, in that pond plus trout. It has a spring feeding it so, so hopefully, that will keep the deepest area cooler in the Summer.
(10-01-2020, 07:41 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I got up to Willard yesterday and we decided to take a few pics of the pond they are building just outside the entrance to the park. It is a lot bigger than I thought it would be and the deep end is a lot deeper. They are putting structure in there and what looks like a launch for small craft. Fishing report below pics.

Remember you can click on any pic to enlarge it. Last pic is the only fish we caught while trolling. 
After several hours of trolling in very stained water we gave up and went to fligging. We fligged just outside the North marina in one of TD's favorite areas. We started catching cats right away, with most over 20" and the big one going 25 & 1/2 inches, all of the big fish were very fat. We saw many dead or dying shad right on the surface, so the colder water temp are taking a toll on the young of the year. Should have taken a pic of the big cat but we did not think about it until it was back in the water. Water level is about 5 ft lower than it was at this time last year, with it only being about 7 to 8 ft in the marina. Almost forgot to mention, while blue/silver caught a few cats, the dark olive was the hot flig yesterday.
Replace that red eye with a silver and black eye and paint a dot on it with a sharpie and that bait would be really close Curt. Could even do the paint job on it with yellow paint with a black dot like the prism shad had. 

Did you happen to get the water temp?
(10-02-2020, 01:59 AM)fishinfool Wrote:
(10-01-2020, 07:41 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I got up to Willard yesterday and we decided to take a few pics of the pond they are building just outside the entrance to the park. It is a lot bigger than I thought it would be and the deep end is a lot deeper. They are putting structure in there and what looks like a launch for small craft. Fishing report below pics.

Replace that red eye with a silver and black eye and paint a dot on it with a sharpie and that bait would be really close Curt. Could even do the paint job on it with yellow paint with a black dot like the prism shad had. 

Did you happen to get the water temp?
Thanks for the info. Water temp was 63 degrees.
Really seems like that Rapala would have caught you some cats is a great looking imitation, did you try running it off DR or just trolling and letting dive on it its own? The water was pretty stained like that yesterday as well. Still couldn't even see our big cats once the swivels were out of the water! You just needed to net in right place below the water to bring them in.

Great site pics. It'll be interesting what they really do with that pond. Doubt it'd dissuade the channel-snaggers from taking too many walleye.
(10-02-2020, 02:36 AM)jjannie Wrote: Really seems like that Rapala would have caught you some cats is a great looking imitation, did you try running it off DR or just trolling and letting dive on it its own? The water was pretty stained like that yesterday as well. Still couldn't even see our big cats once the swivels were out of the water! You just needed to net in right place below the water to bring them in.

Great site pics.  It'll be interesting what they really do with that pond. Doubt it'd dissuade the channel-snaggers from taking too many walleye.
That was a flicker shad lure, it might have caught some cats but we were fishing it shallow after another member caught this big wiper. Water was a little clearer outside the North marina.
[Image: bigwillardwiper.jpg]
The proposed name floated is the "Veteran's Memorial Willard Community" pond.  The pond is also slated to have an aerator in it.  I understand that the State paid for structure to be place in the pond and the contractor donated matching funds - stand up contractor!

I understand that Crappie and Bluegill will be stocked next spring, but predator species will be held off to allow the spawn to succeed.  

Every time I see it I think I should get permanent pictures for the future, then it changes.  LOL
(10-02-2020, 02:36 AM)jjannie Wrote: Really seems like that Rapala would have caught you some cats is a great looking imitation, did you try running it off DR or just trolling and letting dive on it its own? The water was pretty stained like that yesterday as well. Still couldn't even see our big cats once the swivels were out of the water! You just needed to net in right place below the water to bring them in.

Great site pics.  It'll be interesting what they really do with that pond. Doubt it'd dissuade the channel-snaggers from taking too many walleye.
Reading about stained water and netting them without seeing the swivels just seems natural to a southerner like me at Utah lake that is normal water ROFL! I'm amazed at pics of lakes that are clear because I'm so use to no visibility, I guess I should get out and venture some huh....
(10-02-2020, 06:04 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: The proposed name floated is the "Veteran's Memorial Willard Community" pond.  The pond is also slated to have an aerator in it.  I understand that the State paid for structure to be place in the pond and the contractor donated matching funds - stand up contractor!

I understand that Crappie and Bluegill will be stocked next spring, but predator species will be held off to allow the spawn to succeed.  

Every time I see it I think I should get permanent pictures for the future, then it changes.  LOL
That would be a great name, although a little long, maybe just VMWC pond. In one of those pics you can see the concrete base for the aerator. The green plastic bushes and the big rocks are the structure I guess but I hope they put more than that in there. Good for the contractors matching funds, would be nice to see more of that but it is already one of the best planned ponds I've seen so far. Have you heard a timeline for completion?
Gonna have a pond at the south end of Willard (Smith Family Park and Pond), and now one at the north end. That will be 3 bodies of water in a row, in close proximity.  Hope to be able to give them all a try in same day sometime next year. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(10-02-2020, 05:10 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Gonna have a pond at the south end of Willard (Smith Family Park and Pond), and now one at the north end. That will be 3 bodies of water in a row, in close proximity.  Hope to be able to give them all a try in same day sometime next year. 
Not sure it will ever happen but at one time, years ago, they were talking about building another lake North of Willard. Because they figured the SLC area was going to grow so much in the coming years, they would need more water, for the people moving here. The idea was to run a big pipe from that new lake south, to where it would be needed. Willard is mainly filled from water coming from the Weber and Ogden rivers but this new lake would receive all it's water from the Bear river, which now going out into the Great Salt Lake marsh. This new lake would not be as deep as Willard but the surface area would be close to what Willard is, if I remember correctly. Again, not sure it will ever happen but it sound good in theory.
(10-02-2020, 08:01 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 05:10 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Gonna have a pond at the south end of Willard (Smith Family Park and Pond), and now one at the north end. That will be 3 bodies of water in a row, in close proximity.  Hope to be able to give them all a try in same day sometime next year. 
Not sure it will ever happen but at one time, years ago, they were talking about building another lake North of Willard. Because they figured the SLC area was going to grow so much in the coming years, they would need more water, for the people moving here. The idea was to run a big pipe from that new lake south, to where it would be needed. Willard is mainly filled from water coming from the Weber and Ogden rivers but this new lake would receive all it's water from the Bear river, which now going out into the Great Salt Lake marsh. This new lake would not be as deep as Willard but the surface area would be close to what Willard is, if I remember correctly. Again, not sure it will ever happen but it sound good in theory.
That would be nice if it happens.
(10-01-2020, 07:41 PM)i wiperhunter2 Wrote: Ira and I got up to Willard yesterday and we decided to take a few pics of the pond they are building just outside the entrance to the park. It is a lot bigger than I thought it would be and the deep end is a lot deeper. They are putting structure in there and what looks like a launch for small craft. Fishing report below pics.

been going a lot to willard bay this summer... just went today got to hits on my silver shad and nothing.... so ive been watching videos and posts about wipers and the boils so i have been really anxious to hopefully see them....do you know when do them wiper boils start happening? like water temp? in the morning is when i have been going... i am from cache valley.... just very interested to see them boils get on to them... any suggestion on where to start looking when is the best time for them?