Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knice at Da Knolls 10-1-20
Had a 3-way meetup this morning at the Knolls (Utah Lake).  Fellow tuber Lee and kinky kayaker BLK got launched about 7 am.  Air temp 50 and water temp 62...warming a couple of degrees by noon.  Breezes were light to nothing.  Lake was glass all the way across as I drove off at noon.

We all got rid of the skunk early and then it just got better as the morning warmed up.  I caught 4 cats before 8 and 4 more between 8 and 9.  Then, as I began to munch my morning energy bar it went nuts.  Caught another 10 cats between 9 and 10.  After that it slowed down a little bit...and I ran out of bait just after 11.

Total for the morning was about 26 to 28.  Most were around the 2 foot mark, but caught quite a few 25s, and 26s.  Even a couple of 27s and one 28.  No 30s for me yet this year. 

Not sure how many BLK ended up with.  He also got "de-baited"...not like in Cleveland though.  Ditto for Lee.  I think he said he finished with about 12.

We were using mostly baby white bass.  I had brought about 15 or 16.  But I had taken a dozen large chub minnows and they were well received too.  I would have run out of bait sooner without those.  Mostly fished the baby white bass a half at a time...heads or tails...with a small strip of fillet cut from a larger white bass for extra added attraction.  The fish voted for it...when presented on blue-back silver fligs.

We fished over a wide area of the Knolls...each of us in our own chosen area.  The fish were everywhere...and they were in all depths...from 4' out to over 7'.  Best depth for me overall seemed to be about 6 feet.

Pitched some plastics and small cranks a few times but other than one misguided carp I didn't hook anything on lures today.

Lovely weather and good company.  And BLK actually brought a radio that worked so he was able to offer me lots of constructive help through the morning.
[Image: LAUNCH.jpg][Image: BLK-YAKKIN.jpg][Image: 2-FOOTER.jpg][Image: DOUBLE.jpg][Image: FEISTY-26.jpg][Image: PHAT-27.jpg][Image: FLIGGED-28.jpg][Image: RIG-DUJOUR.jpg]

upload image free

upload images for free
Wow you guys could have filled freezers or smokers easily this morning. You all did quite well from the sounds of it though BLK hasn't reported but he's been playing Santa so thank you. I would love to have a 20+ fish day. Are you dragging bait or just suspending it. Wondering if I have a shot catching lots of fish anchors up right now.
Another fun day with great weather and willing cats. I ended up with 12 kitties, the best being a 28 incher. I lost one 36 incher when he came unbuttoned below my yak. I could have caught more but I was constantly distracted by radioing helpful tips to you. By the way, thanks for the bait.

I still think there is a big one to be caught in that area. I like it over there and plan to hit it again when I return from my coyote hunt in Nevada. The weather looks like it will remain good (bad??) for the next week or so and those cats will be stocking up on grub for the colder months to come.

Always fun to fish with you and Lee. Lets do it again.

BLK
(10-02-2020, 12:21 AM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Another fun day with great weather and willing cats. I ended up with 12 kitties, the best being a 28 incher. I lost one 36 incher when he came unbuttoned below my yak. I could have caught more but I was constantly distracted by radioing helpful tips to you. By the way, thanks for the bait.

I still think there is a big one to be caught in that area. I like it over there and plan to hit it again when I return from my coyote hunt in Nevada. The weather looks like it will remain good (bad??) for the next week or so and those cats will be stocking up on grub for the colder months to come.

BLK
I keep telling you that two 18 inchers do not equal one 36 incher.

Glad you could make it.  And glad your radio worked.  I couldn't have made it without your help.
(10-01-2020, 11:30 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Are you dragging bait or just suspending it. Wondering if I have a shot catching lots of fish anchors up right now.
As always, the key is to first find the fish.  They are usually scattered but sometimes you can find areas where they are more numerous...and more active.  Once you find "the zone" you can drop anchors and catch fish until they move or shut down.  Otherwise, the best approach is usually to keep slowly moving until you find 'em...dragging baits either on the bottom or slightly off the bottom with fligs or Santee rigs.

Unless you are fishing close to shore, where shallow rocks are likely to be a problem, you will generally do better by not anchoring.  If there is a light breeze you can just position your boat to drift across your chosen area while dragging your baits.  If there is no breeze, then you need to either motor slowly with your electric...or at least touch it lightly periodically to move a short distance.  If the breeze gets too strong for making a slow drag, then either using a light anchor to slow you down or a heavier one to keep you in place is the way to go.  A cheap but effective "wind anchor" is a bag of rocks.  This works well in smooth bottom conditions.  Not so good in jagged rocks.

Good luck with your new boat.  Hope you can get it fixed up right and that you get plenty of opportunities to use it.
(10-02-2020, 02:28 AM)TubeDude Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 12:21 AM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Another fun day with great weather and willing cats. I ended up with 12 kitties, the best being a 28 incher. I lost one 36 incher when he came unbuttoned below my yak. I could have caught more but I was constantly distracted by radioing helpful tips to you. By the way, thanks for the bait.

BLK
I keep telling you that two 18 inchers do not equal one 36 incher.

Glad you could make it.  And glad your radio worked.  I couldn't have made it without your help.
Hey pat with that much white bass bait on , does it still float off the bottom?
(10-01-2020, 11:07 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Had a 3-way meetup this morning at the Knolls (Utah Lake).  Fellow tuber Lee and kinky kayaker BLK got launched about 7 am.  Air temp 50 and water temp 62...warming a couple of degrees by noon.  Breezes were light to nothing.  Lake was glass all the way across as I drove off at noon.

We all got rid of the skunk early and then it just got better as the morning warmed up.  I caught 4 cats before 8 and 4 more between 8 and 9.  Then, as I began to munch my morning energy bar it went nuts.  Caught another 10 cats between 9 and 10.  After that it slowed down a little bit...and I ran out of bait just after 11.

Total for the morning was about 26 to 28.  Most were around the 2 foot mark, but caught quite a few 25s, and 26s.  Even a couple of 27s and one 28.  No 30s for me yet this year. 

Not sure how many BLK ended up with.  He also got "de-baited"...not like in Cleveland though.  Ditto for Lee.  I think he said he finished with about 12.

We were using mostly baby white bass.  I had brought about 15 or 16.  But I had taken a dozen large chub minnows and they were well received too.  I would have run out of bait sooner without those.  Mostly fished the baby white bass a half at a time...heads or tails...with a small strip of fillet cut from a larger white bass for extra added attraction.  The fish voted for it...when presented on blue-back silver fligs.

We fished over a wide area of the Knolls...each of us in our own chosen area.  The fish were everywhere...and they were in all depths...from 4' out to over 7'.  Best depth for me overall seemed to be about 6 feet.

Pitched some plastics and small cranks a few times but other than one misguided carp I didn't hook anything on lures today.

Lovely weather and good company.  And BLK actually brought a radio that worked so he was able to offer me lots of constructive help through the morning.
[Image: LAUNCH.jpg][Image: BLK-YAKKIN.jpg][Image: 2-FOOTER.jpg][Image: DOUBLE.jpg][Image: FEISTY-26.jpg][Image: PHAT-27.jpg][Image: FLIGGED-28.jpg][Image: RIG-DUJOUR.jpg]

upload image free

upload images for free

Pat, I see your 28 incher has a contest placard. Are you gonna post that one to your contest thread?
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(10-02-2020, 05:03 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:  Pat, I see your 28 incher has a contest placard. Are you gonna post that one to your contest thread?
If I need it.  I already have one 28 incher and have caught a couple of others that I did not properly picture for the contest.  Hoping to get a couple of bumpers in the next couple of weeks.

Now all I gotta do is find where the other southern boys have those 30 inchers in a pen and catch a couple of them before the contest is over.
Sounds like a good trip. Thanks for another great report and pictures. I need to figure out how to put words on them since the titles don't show up anymore.
(10-05-2020, 05:52 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Sounds like a good trip. Thanks for another great report and pictures. I need to figure out how to put words on them since the titles don't show up anymore.
There are quite a few "photoshop" programs on them market.  I have favored the ACDSee software for quite a few years.  https://www.acdsee.com/en/products/photo.../#features

And the titles still show up...at the lower left of the pictures once you click on them to enlarge.

You guys have been racking up some good catches.  Keep up the good work.