Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusual sturgeon trips
I made two one-day sturgeon trips this week.  It was nice to have the weather finally cool down enough that I was comfortable going after them again.  I fished a new area and we caught a few.  The first trip we managed to land 10 (also lost 4), with the largest going 76".  The second trip we landed 13 (also lost 3 and had 1 break off), with the largest going 78". On both trips we missed far more bites than we hooked.

The first trip was all sturgeon; however, the second trip was extremely unusual.  I have been fishing for sturgeon for ~15 years and never caught a carp.  On this trip I caught 3 carp (all mirror carp), two Utah chubs and a perch.  The carp were all caught on pickled herring (Having used herring on all of my trips I figured carp didn't like pickled herring).

Attached are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure.[Image: Mirror-carp.png][Image: Sturgeon-1.jpg]

[/url][url=https://ibb.co/qdVmLwh][Image: Sturgeon-2.jpg]
(10-02-2020, 06:53 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: I made two one-day sturgeon trips this week.  It was nice to have the weather finally cool down enough that I was comfortable going after them again.  I fished a new area and we caught a few.  The first trip we managed to land 10 (also lost 4), with the largest going 76".  The second trip we landed 13 (also lost 3 and had 1 break off), with the largest going 78". On both trips we missed far more bites than we hooked.

The first trip was all sturgeon; however, the second trip was extremely unusual.  I have been fishing for sturgeon for ~15 years and never caught a carp.  On this trip I caught 3 carp (all mirror carp), two Utah chubs and a perch).  The carp were all caught on pickled herring (Having used herring on all of my trips I figured carp didn't like pickled herring).

Attached are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure.[Image: Mirror-carp.png][Image: Sturgeon-1.jpg]

[/url][url=https://ibb.co/qdVmLwh][Image: Sturgeon-2.jpg]
Sounds like a couple of good trips Kent. Not sure why but when I click on your lower pic to get it to enlarge, the top pic comes up instead. I was trying to figure out why your hand was open like that, with the fish below.
Kent, looks like you were catching the babies this trip. Next year when I go up to Burley, there are a couple of spots that I am going to try and see if there is a left over sturgeon hanging around. Thanks for the pics, those are neat fish !!!
(10-02-2020, 08:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like a couple of good trips Kent. Not sure why but when I click on your lower pic to get it to enlarge, the top pic comes up instead. I was trying to figure out why your hand was open like that, with the fish below.

Really strange that the first picture opens when one clicks on the third picture.  I put my open hand in there just so one could get a feel for the size of that monster sturgeon.

(10-02-2020, 10:03 PM)Therapist Wrote: Kent, looks like you were catching the babies this trip. 

We caught a few more small sturgeons than we typically do on these two trips.  Because we were missing so many bites, I downsized the hooks and that would also contribute to hooking more small sturgeon.  I really enjoy tiny sturgeon.  They remind me of miniature dinosaurs.

Here is another picture of the baby sturgeon.  (It was actually 22' long, which is often a decent size fish, but not when one is talking about sturgeon.)

[Image: Sturgeon-3.jpg]
Well Kent looks like I will need to take you fishing to find out where your new fishing place is.
but with the sturgeons we got this week I don't think we would have had enough time to pull in 13 sturgeons.

and thanks for your report I love them.
Looks like another good trip in the books.

Going to see if I can my brother into one of those fish this next weekend.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I forgot to mention, my fishing buddy was quickly reeling in, and after he had reeled maybe 15 or 20 feet, he had a 6 to 7 foot sturgeon on. I have watched videos of sturgeon chasing bait, on the Columbia River, and we have occasionally experienced it, but it is a rarity. Unfortunately, when he got it close to the boat his line snapped. Apparently, the line had been previously damaged and we were not aware of it.
Glad the new area worked out for you. Always good to get on fish in a new area.