Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon 10/4
My wife and I took a trip up to East Canyon today since they had State Parks passes available. I’ve never done all that well fishing up there. 

Today we started slow working some bottom bouncers with a worm rig for my wife and I tied on a flig with a minnow. No bites for us. Switch over to some jointed shad rapalas and increasing the trolling speed. Wasn’t long before my wife tied into her personal best fish, a rainbow. I didn’t have a measuring device, and won’t speculate here on the size. 

We went a long time before her second fish hooked just as she was pulling line in so we could leave. 

No fish for me. 

[Image: 2-A54-F04-B-3579-40-ED-89-C2-B13-DD2-E31-CD3.jpg]

[Image: 6-D38664-B-697-E-4-D85-B41-A-3-E2-C33281050.jpg]

[Image: EBA6-E3-E6-70-CE-4-B10-AAB8-25694-E0-AD2-AF.jpg]
(10-05-2020, 04:16 AM)JArner Wrote: My wife and I took a trip up to East Canyon today since they had State Parks passes available. I’ve never done all that well fishing up there. 

Today we started slow working some bottom bouncers with a worm rig for my wife and I tied on a flig with a minnow. No bites for us. Switch over to some jointed shad rapalas and increasing the trolling speed. Wasn’t long before my wife tied into her personal best fish, a rainbow. I didn’t have a measuring device, and won’t speculate here on the size. 

We went a long time before her second fish hooked just as she was pulling line in so we could leave. 

No fish for me. 

[Image: 2-A54-F04-B-3579-40-ED-89-C2-B13-DD2-E31-CD3.jpg]

[Image: 6-D38664-B-697-E-4-D85-B41-A-3-E2-C33281050.jpg]

[Image: EBA6-E3-E6-70-CE-4-B10-AAB8-25694-E0-AD2-AF.jpg]
That's a really nice bow! Congrats to your wife.
(10-05-2020, 04:31 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: That's a really nice bow! Congrats to your wife.

Thanks Paul, she was giddy during the fight.
Thanks for the report

What was the water temp at?
(10-05-2020, 06:32 PM)WingNutt Wrote: Thanks for the report

What was the water temp at?

Water was a balmy 56.6 at 5:30pm
What is that rule...happy wife and we don't die smothered in her pillow for buying more lures, or something like that.

Nice report
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Her holding up that net, either she doesn't want to have her picture taken or she doesn't like to touch fish. My wife is like the latter that why I say that as I've seen that holding of the net but that's is the closest she gets to the fish. But I'm happy I at least get her out fishing with me so no complaints lol
(10-05-2020, 10:13 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: What is that rule...happy wife and we don't die smothered in her pillow for buying more lures, or something like that.

Nice report

I believe that is pretty close to how that saying goes. She had a swivel fail as we were pulling lines in and she lost the lucky jointed rapala. So I think I’m ok to replace that one anyway.

(10-06-2020, 01:21 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Her holding up that net, either she doesn't want to have her picture taken or she doesn't like to touch fish. My wife is like the latter that why I say that as I've seen that holding of the net but that's is the closest she gets to the fish. But I'm happy I at least get her out fishing with me so no complaints lol

Yes definitely the latter, she loves to go with me so I don’t mind taking care of getting them off the line. I’m glad she caught the fish as it keeps her excited about going.
JArner -- are you both Yakin' it up there? Are you using pontoons on your Yaks?
(10-06-2020, 05:37 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: JArner -- are you both Yakin' it up there? Are you using pontoons on your Yaks?

Jmorfish, we are both Yakin’, no pontoons. I have an electric trolling setup on my yak, and I lash her yak to mine when we troll, move long distance, or need to get off the water. It works ok up to about 2 mph then it gets a bit splashy between the hulls.
 I haven't fished EC for quite awhile, but when I did I would go just after ice off, then just before the freeze. Reduced the number of power squadron folks that would run down from the dock area all the way to the south end at full speed setting up a wake and wave  that would bounce back and forth off the side down that narrow arm. 

We don't care much for trout type species, so we almost always release everything. For several years the best catch rate we had was dragging a gold and black or silver and black # 7 count down Rapala at about 2 mph. 

These photos are from 2013 and 2015 and fish mostly caught my one of my 2 oldest sons. 

[Image: 01-26-Apr-2013-1039-a-m.jpg]   [Image: 013-0910-Kevin-2.jpg]  [Image: 019-1200-Kevin-4.jpg]  [Image: 01-15-March-2015-Ray-s-first-Trout.jpg]

Me   2013                               Son   2013                             Son 2013                             Son 2015 (he kept that one)
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(10-06-2020, 07:32 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:  I haven't fished EC for quite awhile, but when I did I would go just after ice off, then just before the freeze. Reduced the number of power squadron folks that would run down from the dock area all the way to the south end at full speed setting up a wake and wave  that would bounce back and forth off the side down that narrow arm. 

We don't care much for trout type species, so we almost always release everything. For several years the best catch rate we had was dragging a gold and black or silver and black # 7 count down Rapala at about 2 mph. 

These photos are from 2013 and 2015 and fish mostly caught my one of my 2 oldest sons. 

[Image: 01-26-Apr-2013-1039-a-m.jpg]   [Image: 013-0910-Kevin-2.jpg]  [Image: 019-1200-Kevin-4.jpg]  [Image: 01-15-March-2015-Ray-s-first-Trout.jpg]

Me   2013                               Son   2013                             Son 2013                             Son 2015 (he kept that one)

I think I have one of those black/gold lures in a tackle box I got from my grand fathers estate, never tried it though. I'll have to give it a shot. There were still a couple of power boats doing the full speed turn up to the bouy line, but less than there were a few weeks ago.