Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Willard Trip #22
Monday with no crowd, what a beautiful morning.......except for the California fire haze.  Got launched at  9:08 a.m. just the slightest ripple on the water.

[Image: 0137-5-Oct-2020-0980-a-m.jpg]

By the time I got all the way down to bottom corner of Freeway Bay, and got my lines out,  water was almost like green / brown glass. 

[Image: 0138.jpg]   [Image: 0139.jpg]

By 1200 I was just about sure I was gonna take home a skunk today.  I fished every location I have marked the past couple months, bait on the bottom, flig tipped with shrimp, flig tipped with crawler, flig tipped with Gulp minnow moving from FWB back to the west. Anchored fishing most of them cuz there just wasn't even enough breeze  to make a good drift. 
I finally had worked my way back as far west as half way between the feed lot and the marina channel and the breeze picked up just right. I pulled out into 14-15 fow, put out both lines on the bottom with shrimp, angled the boat broadside to the breeze, and was drifting along at .34 mph. 10 minutes after starting my first drift one line got  hit hard and stripped half the bait off. Re-hooked what was left and put it back out for whatever to take another bite.........which it did. 

Yay........boated a skunk killer. 

[Image: 0140-Cat-1-CPR-1234-p-m.jpg]

Made 2 or 3 more drifts in same general area, and of course, on last 2 pieces of shrimp, 1 hour after the skunk killer, a twin hit the other line.  
That was all the bait, and both kitties were released with nothing more  than a sore lip. 

[Image: 0141-Cat-2-CPR-1336-p-m.jpg]

Got to continue my No Skunk streak another day. Probably won't get back on the water again till Thursday. Have some medical issues for me and  my daughter to tend to next 2 days.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Way to keep that streak alive, best of luck/wishes that your medical needs go smoothly. I enjoy reading your posts.
Forest,
Last Sunday most of my fish were caught shallow, 6 to 8 feet deep.
(10-06-2020, 02:22 PM)JArner Wrote: Way to keep that streak alive, best of luck/wishes that your medical needs go smoothly. I enjoy reading your posts.

Thanks. Mine were just some annual physical tests this morning.  Tomorrow my daughter has a procedure that will be an attempt to diagnose a problem she has had for several weeks. Hopefully, the doctors will find and be able to fix the problem.

(10-06-2020, 05:21 PM)thatchergreg Wrote: Forest,
Last Sunday most of my fish were caught shallow, 6 to 8 feet deep.

Greg, yesterday I worked from 15 fow down to 8-9 fow close into the south wall. But the drifts where I caught those 2 started further out past the 15 fow with a slow drift back to the south-east and each fish hit in about 12-13 fow. 

Ah, but that's Willard. Can change every day.... Cool

Cool
(10-05-2020, 11:09 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Monday with no crowd, what a beautiful morning.......except for the California fire haze.  Got launched at  9:08 a.m. just the slightest ripple on the water.

[Image: 0137-5-Oct-2020-0980-a-m.jpg]

By the time I got all the way down to bottom corner of Freeway Bay, and got my lines out,  water was almost like green / brown glass. 

[Image: 0138.jpg]   [Image: 0139.jpg]

By 1200 I was just about sure I was gonna take home a skunk today.  I fished every location I have marked the past couple months, bait on the bottom, flig tipped with shrimp, flig tipped with crawler, flig tipped with Gulp minnow moving from FWB back to the west. Anchored fishing most of them cuz there just wasn't even enough breeze  to make a good drift. 
I finally had worked my way back as far west as half way between the feed lot and the marina channel and the breeze picked up just right. I pulled out into 14-15 fow, put out both lines on the bottom with shrimp, angled the boat broadside to the breeze, and was drifting along at .34 mph. 10 minutes after starting my first drift one line got  hit hard and stripped half the bait off. Re-hooked what was left and put it back out for whatever to take another bite.........which it did. 

Yay........boated a skunk killer. 

[Image: 0140-Cat-1-CPR-1234-p-m.jpg]

Made 2 or 3 more drifts in same general area, and of course, on last 2 pieces of shrimp, 1 hour after the skunk killer, a twin hit the other line.  
That was all the bait, and both kitties were released with nothing more  than a sore lip. 

[Image: 0141-Cat-2-CPR-1336-p-m.jpg]

Got to continue my No Skunk streak another day. Probably won't get back on the water again till Thursday. Have some medical issues for me and  my daughter to tend to next 2 days.  

any boils for possible wiper fun?
Not seen a true full on Willard boil in couple years.  Not saying they don't happen, just I haven't been on the water when they have.

Cool
[Image: 20200925-102542.jpg]Took two grand kids Saturday.  First time for the seven year old. Got his first cat, netted by big brother. He loves the cats. 
[Image: 20200925-103244.jpg]
Good day caught three, on a slow drift.
Fishing by the cattle ranch, about 12 feet deep.