Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing on open water
I got the opportunity to launch my float tube on Tuesday morning this week on Newton reservoir for the first time. I have fished Newton from the shore once several years ago. Air temp on arrival was a balmy 38 degrees with water temperature of 59 degrees. It was enjoyable morning as I haven't gotten out in the tube for a few weeks now. I found clouds of panfish at different depths. I really wanted to find crappie but only managed one. Out in the deeper depths of 30ft or so were oodles of small perch, also in a spot close to the ramp in 16ft of water. Nothing bigger than six inches. Near the dam in depths of 14 to 22 ft I found bluegills and one lonely crappie. I would watch my finder and I would drop down either an ice fishing spoon or jigging rap and got several bites. Some of the gills were almost big enough for me to fillet. I think this would be a fun ice fishing spot this year to target. I didn't see any big marks so I wonder about the status of the tiger musky in that lake. 
Gabe
Sounds like fun!...I'm thinking that out of a float tube you could mimic ice fishing just having a shorty 24" rod right in front of you....what kind of fish finder are you using on your tube?
(10-08-2020, 03:50 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Sounds like fun!...I'm thinking that out of a float tube you could mimic ice fishing just having a shorty 24" rod right in front of you....what kind of fish finder are you using on your tube?
The low-end model of the Lowrance hook 2 fishfinder. It's around a $100 bucks I think. It has settings for regular graph mode, and a flasher mode too. I was using my ice rods.
As to the status of Tigers in Newton. They are there. I know of three different catches in the past week (Not Mine) and from the photos they were not the same fish Wink
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew