Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview report
Fished Pineview earlier this week. 

I did not have my Deeper Chirp Castable sonar, so dont have the depth we fished or the temps, but we fished the rocky area, at first light, under the caretakers house, with intent to bag some crappie, perch and gills for a fish fry. We caught crappie and gills but no perch - a bit surprising, but not the place I would go to to target perch on Pineview right now, so maybe not so surprising.

Crappie - we bagged a few at first light on two different rigs. The first rig was a traditional slip bobber rig with a orange or green creature bug on the bottom and a small paddle tail style swim bait on the top (colors were rainbow pattern  yellow perch pattern and white shad colors ). The bobber was set to place the baits at 15 and 18 ft in open water and of course as the rig came close to shore or structure the distance to bottom decreased. A bit of wind chop made slip bobber action tough as did low light for the first hour. The other rig was a drop shot with a pugly perch bug that I tie. The bug was set to be 1 ft to 3 ft off the bottom. Action for crappie slowed quickly as it got light.

Gills - same rigs and bait were used but bites were almost always on the bottom bug on the slip bobber and closer to the bottom on the drop shot. Very nice gills. 

All rigs were tipped with a meal worm or worm piece

Just an FYI - Pugly Perch Bugs are not a commercial product. I tie them. They are similar  in nature to beatle / hopper patterns for trout, but on a jig hook and with extra "bling". Northern sells a floating jig that would likely yield similar results and Pat has many examples in his FLIG info about smaller fligs for panfish - same concept, slightly different look.

This is the seventh species Cookie and I have now caught on Pugly Perch Bugs - been a fun addition to our tackle box.

We were watching for the wiper twins to swing by as they were also pestering fish on Pineview, but we got enough for our lunch and left pretty early while they were still up in the fingers trolling for Nessy.

It was chilly in the AM with a bit of a breeze in the narrows. I expect the action will just get better and better in the next month or so as the transition occurs. Should be able to get some decent crappie from a boat while it happens - a lot tougher to get any with size from the shore. But the smaller ones eat up just fine and I am happy to keep trying....

cheers

Here is the video report

https://youtu.be/Tny3e9ABpik

[Image: 20201006-081238.jpg]
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Nice work. Maybe I should have hit pineview earlier this week instead of Newton. I enjoy your posts and videos as well. Maybe we will run into each other one of these days.
Gabe
Great report and video, thanks for sharing.
Sorry we missed seeing you and Cookie, by the time we got to your location, you two were gone but it was surprising how calm it was everywhere else beside the Narrows. When we finally got there there was a bit of a breeze there but I've seen it a lot worse, pretty crazy how smokie it got up there later in the morning.
When we were there on the same day, but we never did make it into the narrows area to look for you two as we were seeing so many fish on the finder, we crossed paths with the wiper twins several times while trolling around. We only caught all small fish and we agree they cook up in what we call fish chips and are just as tasty.
(10-08-2020, 03:13 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Nice work. Maybe I should have hit pineview earlier this week instead of Newton. I enjoy your posts and videos as well. Maybe we will run into each other one of these days.
Gabe

Gabe, I would enjoy meeting up. I dont know my exact plan but I will hit Rockport again soon and will be looking for crappie at PV or Willard also.

(10-08-2020, 09:29 PM)jjannie Wrote: When we were there on the same day, but we never did make it into the narrows area to look for you two as we were seeing so many fish on the finder, we crossed paths with the wiper twins several times while trolling around. We only caught all small fish and we agree they cook up in what we call fish chips and are just as tasty.

I wish when you and the wiper twins are both on the water that you would coordinate and use your boats to herd a school of 12 inch crappie to Cookie and me. I mean it would be the neighborly thing to do for us poor bank tanglers.

(10-08-2020, 04:35 AM)JArner Wrote: Great report and video, thanks for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed the video and post - swing by when you see the big hat on the water. I always have extra worms and beef jerky (unless the Wookie is along)
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew