Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ordering from Whisker Seekers
I'm going to order some 30-pound catfishing mono from Whisker Seekers. You get free shipping if your order is over $50. So, two pronged question: Would anyone like to go in on an order so we get up to the $50 to save on shipping? If you're familiar with the products they offer could you advise me on other items I might want to order to get up to the $50?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(10-10-2020, 02:46 PM)catchinon Wrote: I'm going to order some 30-pound catfishing mono from Whisker Seekers. You get free shipping if your order is over $50. So, two pronged question: Would anyone like to go in on an order so we get up to the $50 to save on shipping? If you're familiar with the products they offer could you advise me on other items I might want to order to get up to the $50?

At one time earlier in the year, Cowboy Pirate had a post about several items he had ordered from them that he and Cookie use.  Hopefully he could give you some insight.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
I looked at the website:

https://whiskerseeker.com/catfish-fishin...st-orange/

In my way of thinking, which is getting the best deal, I see you are intending to pay $18.95 for 500 yards of 30 pound test, but by buying the one pound spool, you get 2030 yards or over four times as much line for only $59.95 or only 3.16 times more. Out of that spool, your 500 yards would cost only $15 to save you $4 plus your additional savings on shipping. Then you have extra line.

1lb Bulk Spools: 20lb=(2,500 Yds) 30lb=(2030 Yds) 40lb=(1600 Yds)

Great idea ad thoughtful of you to be offering to have some of us go in on the purchase with you. IF you decide upon the larger spool with your share being for your 500 yards or the amount you want, then others will want the same line.

Now, I'm wondering if I should put that line on one of my large surf fishing reels? I can use it for catfish and join on this BFT fishing which has become more popular over the years or perhaps I just notice it more with the catfish contests. My surf fishing reel is certainly heavy duty enough for any huge catfish smaller than a Volkswagen. I haven't got into catfish fishing yet, but have seen the popularity of it on BFT and the huge catfish being caught.

Craig, from what I know about you, you have insights into this line for you to be choosing it above other lines, so I'm curious -- what makes this your line of choice and what have you heard about it?

Perhaps I should go in on the order with you?

I suspect you will also get others and would quickly get a group purchase of the one 2,030 yard spool, IF you wanted to do that.

This reminds me that I attended a few of our BFT swap meets with greatly enjoying meeting many of us as a social event. I'll likely attend our next one. I certainly enjoy our Flotillas and awards banquets.

We have a fine group of people. I especially appreciated that we got together for taking disabled veterans fishing. We need to find a way of offering it again to them. I restate my standing offer to take a disabled veteran shore fishing and I'm very capable of accommodating even challenging situations, so refer any disabled veteran who wants that to me.

I have my first two muscle powered ice augers from one of our swap meets. They saved me a lot of money at a time I got started on a low budget for ice fishing. Now, I greatly enjoy my Nils augers which have a better geometry and are very sharp and high quality and work much better. But, for when ice is not very thick, the inexpensive augers work -- just more work.

Ronald Smile
Ron, I want the 30 pound line because that's what Ice_sled uses and I want to be just like him when I grow up. I like the orange color because I have a hard time seeing other line when I'm trolling. I don't remember all the features but I believe it is tough without too much memory. Highly recommended by those who know. Cowboy could tell us more about that. He's been using the 15 pound this year. I appreciate your insight on the price advantages; don't know if I would ever use that much line and cash is tight right now. Let me know if you definitely want to go in on it.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hey Craig,

Ya we ordered a bunch from whisker seekers. Here are my thoughts.

The Ferguson series cat rods are amazing and I love the two I bought. However a bit overkill for Willard cats. We had hoped to tangle at UL or the bird refuge with some additional mass, but heath issues killed most of those plans. They will get it done the day she pokes a 36" cat, so I am happy.

The 15 lbs hi vis line was a very pleasant surprise. It handled very well. I never had a tangle or twist issue and memory was light coils. I love the high vis and switched my ultra light over this summer, too. ( not to 15 lb Wink) I used at 15 lbs main line, but my leader is 25 and I watch it closely. I still fish a lot of mono line and am happy with it. I only use braid or such on specialty applications. Personal preference no science as to why I do it.

I also picked up some of their prerigged Santee Cooper set ups. You can make them yourself much cheaper, but my eyes are struggling with a degenerate disease so knot tying is more and more problematic. We caught an number of cats on these prerigged, rigs.

I also purchased their tripple threat hooks in a 6, 7, and 8 size. Love them. Sharp. Strong and you can set them with a sweeping motion if you like or allow them to turn like standard cicle hooks. Sttong buy recommendations for them.

I picked up some misc terminal tackle too...swivels, bead stops, , sinker slides. All good quality but I expect you could find as good cheaper, elsewhere

Hope that helps. If you or anyone needs more info pm me.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew