Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard trip # 24
Made it back up to Willard south today. Got to the ramp about 8:25, there was 2 DNR boats and 4 or 5 staff members loading up. Probably heading out to do a net survey.  By the time I finished at the restroom, they were already gone out the channel. 

[Image: 0146-13-Oct-2020-0833-a-m.jpg]

I got launched and out to my Cat hunting grounds. Air temp 59, water temp 60.9. A very nice breeze from the south west, so I set up  for a north east drift. 

[Image: 0147.jpg]

About 9:30 a.m. the breeze was shifting around and coming out of almost due west. That allowed me to drift pretty close to parallel with the south wall going east towards the feed lot.   Got into 8-9 fow and was drifting pretty quick at .46 to .59 mph (gps indicated). Lines were bumping along in a pretty regular pattern of drift, drop, bump, drift. At 1000 a.m. on the dot got a double bait hit and drag strip. Lost them (fish and bait) both lines  Undecided  . 
 Rebaited, reset lines and continued my eastward drift.  I guess the Cats in that area were just snapping on the feed bag........got 2 more hits almost at the same time. Boated one, other  stripped the bait. 

[Image: 0148-Cat-1-1023-a-m-kept.jpg]

Continued my drift, enjoyed the water all to myself. Didn't see another boat until about 1115 when what looked like a center console trolled past me very slow and about 300 yards out.  Was watching and admiring that boat when one rod bent over and the stripping drag helped get my attention back on the business of catching another Cat. 

[Image: 0149-Cat-2-1135-a-m-kept.jpg]

I intended to keep my catch today, restock my freezer with good eatin Willard Bay Catfish.  And thats exactly what I did. All 2 of them .  About 1:00 p.m. wind was getting a bit stronger, I was drifting my last 2 pieces of bait and decided to pack it in for the day.  Headed for the south ramps, and as I was tying up to the dock, I noticed the cleaning station bagged up for the winter.  Huh  .  I honestly thought I saw it still open when I arrived. Either I was mistaken, or it was closed down while I was on the water .  Shoot......  gonna have to take these 2 Cats home to clean.   But at least I continued to keep the skunk away, and have 4 pretty fat fillets in the freezer for when I want fish tacos.  

[Image: 0150a-13-Oct-2020.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
You are starting to get close to our total number of trip to Willard this year Forest, we have 27 trip there so far of our 50 total fishing trips for the year. At the rate you are going you will pass us up, if the weather don't show you down. Glad the skunk is leaving you along this year.
(10-25-2020, 01:52 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: You are starting to get close to our total number of trip to Willard this year Forest, we have 27 trip there so far of our 50 total fishing trips for the year. At the rate you are going you will pass us up, if the weather don't show you down. Glad the skunk is leaving you along this year.

Actually, just went thru my WB spread sheet I started keeping this year. I've been out on Willard 30 times this year starting on 21 March, and last trip on 21 Oct.  Out of those 30 trips, I've been skunked 4 times once in March, once in May, twice in June. But no skunks since 12 June.  no skunks 26 out of 30 trips  , 24 of those have been consecutive from 26 June to 21 Oct. 
Course, It's been mostly Catfish, but that's OK with me. 
So far Willard Bay score for me 71 total fish caught. 63 Channel Cats, 1 Carp, 3 Walleye, 1 Wiper, 2 Perch, 1 Bullhead .
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(10-25-2020, 05:52 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 01:52 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: You are starting to get close to our total number of trip to Willard this year Forest, we have 27 trip there so far of our 50 total fishing trips for the year. At the rate you are going you will pass us up, if the weather don't show you down. Glad the skunk is leaving you along this year.

Actually, just went thru my WB spread sheet I started keeping this year. I've been out on Willard 30 times this year starting on 21 March, and last trip on 21 Oct.  Out of those 30 trips, I've been skunked 4 times once in March, once in May, twice in June. But no skunks since 12 June.  no skunks 26 out of 30 trips  , 24 of those have been consecutive from 26 June to 21 Oct. 
Course, It's been mostly Catfish, but that's OK with me. 
So far Willard Bay score for me 71 total fish caught. 63 Channel Cats, 1 Carp, 3 Walleye, 1 Wiper, 2 Perch, 1 Bullhead .
Sounds like you had a great year at Willard Forest, you must have really increased your trips to Willard after you retired. I haven't bothered to add up the fish we have caught but I know we caught at least three limits of walleye this year. probably over 150 cats and several dozen perch but that was for two of us. It did not seem very good for wipers this year but I know we caught a few.