Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sand Hollow & Quail Creek Question
Heading south for a couple days with kayaks and paddleboards and curious if anyone fishes for the bass on them with a fly rod this time of year.  Wondering if I would be wasting my time. I go there in the spring as well during normal years so hints for that time of year would be great as well. 
We all know what kind of year this has been so it's been a year since I was there....
Always thought it would be a hoot to catch one of them big bass down there on a fly rod but any general pointers for spinning gear this time of year or late March/early April would be great as well.
I have scudzillas with heavier weights than I run t rigs on down there.

I dont see why a fly rod wouldn't be sucessful at either the rocks near the ramp or about 500 yards off the beach in ~17 FOW.
Sinking or sink tip line would be a benefit this time of year. If you have a heavier rod, 7 or 8 wt, you could throw a 3 or 4 inch Senko on it. You can also lip hook 3-4 inch swim baits or gulp minnows on a # 2 or 4 drop shot hook and let them slow fall, then strip them back. be creative, don't get stuck with standard flyrod fair !!
(10-14-2020, 02:14 AM)lucabrasi Wrote: Heading south for a couple days with kayaks and paddleboards and curious if anyone fishes for the bass on them with a fly rod this time of year.  Wondering if I would be wasting my time. I go there in the spring as well during normal years so hints for that time of year would be great as well. 
We all know what kind of year this has been so it's been a year since I was there....
Always thought it would be a hoot to catch one of them big bass down there on a fly rod but any general pointers for spinning gear this time of year or late March/early April would be great as well.

I love catching bass on the fly. Bass in lakes like Sand Hollow see lots of lures and tons of presentations day in and day out, but what they don't see a lot of are smaller (by bass lure standards) flies presented delicately and accurately. My biggest bass to date (6lb) came on an olive complex twist bugger this spring. I have also caught many bass on blue and chartreuse clousers, sparkle minnows (!), and the old white crystal bugger. Not to mention mice and poppers in the right place/time. Use big tippet, #15 lb test or stronger. You can ditch the leader and just tie 7 feet or so of straight 15+ lb line to your fly line. I have heard, and in my own experience, debarbing your hooks will land you more bass. Their mouths are so hard and you can't set as hard with a fly rod so having no barb to impede hook penetration does help get that hook in a bit deeper in my opinion. Look for structure and you'll find the bass. Good luck! Warming water and cooling water offer the best fishing of the year for these guys. If the bass fishing sucks, go look for the bluegills and sunfish to stay entertained haha!
(10-14-2020, 09:53 PM)Envenomation09 Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 02:14 AM)lucabrasi Wrote: Heading south for a couple days with kayaks and paddleboards and curious if anyone fishes for the bass on them with a fly rod this time of year.  Wondering if I would be wasting my time. I go there in the spring as well during normal years so hints for that time of year would be great as well. 

I love catching bass on the fly. Bass in lakes like Sand Hollow see lots of lures and tons of presentations day in and day out, but what they don't see a lot of are smaller (by bass lure standards) flies presented delicately and accurately. My biggest bass to date (6lb) came on an olive complex twist bugger this spring. I have also caught many bass on blue and chartreuse clousers, sparkle minnows (!), and the old white crystal bugger. Not to mention mice and poppers in the right place/time. Use big tippet, #15 lb test or stronger. You can ditch the leader and just tie 7 feet or so of straight 15+ lb line to your fly line. I have heard, and in my own experience, debarbing your hooks will land you more bass. Their mouths are so hard and you can't set as hard with a fly rod so having no barb to impede hook penetration does help get that hook in a bit deeper in my opinion. Look for structure and you'll find the bass. Good luck! Warming water and cooling water offer the best fishing of the year for these guys. If the bass fishing sucks, go look for the bluegills and sunfish to stay entertained haha!
Interesting that you ditch the leader and go with just a heavy tippet. I do the opposite and ditch the tippet and go with leader only. A 8-12 lb tapered fluorocarbon leader works well.
Thank you for all the replies and hints for sure. Some also helped confirm what I had already thought but wasn't ready to commit
I've thought about throwing little swim baits and gulps on a fly rod before.
Only got on the water for one afternoon. Lots of wakes but still had a good time.
One last nice blast of warmth for the year.
Only got one bass and it was off spinning gear. Couldn't commit to just a fly rod, which is ok but I do know I will make more use of my fly rods down that way anymore.
Thanks again.
Quail Creek you can get into some decent size rainbows this time of year (before they stock it next month), just use sinking line and strip your favorite flies. Bass fishing at Quail can be finicky and difficult this time of year, so if you want to catch large mouth, go to Sand Hollow. We were out there a couple evenings ago catching 3-4lb large mouth nearly every case 2 hrs before dark on spinner baits in 15' of water...love fall out there! I might head out there after work today as well...been thinking of that fun evening, need to get out before the cold front hits this weekend! Good luck!
(10-20-2020, 08:25 PM)richyd4u Wrote: Quail Creek you can get into some decent size rainbows this time of year (before they stock it next month), just use sinking line and strip your favorite flies. Bass fishing at Quail can be finicky and difficult this time of year, so if you want to catch large mouth, go to Sand Hollow. We were out there a couple evenings ago catching 3-4lb large mouth nearly every case 2 hrs before dark on spinner baits in 15' of water...love fall out there! I might head out there after work today as well...been thinking of that fun evening, need to get out before the cold front hits this weekend! Good luck!
Can you get this information directly from the DNR? I have not ever found a stocking schedule that shows when stockings will take place only when they have already happened. I'm trying to plan a trip to quail very soon and would love to time it up with a fresh stocking if I can. Thanks
(10-26-2020, 10:22 PM)Mr.Rogers Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 08:25 PM)richyd4u Wrote: Quail Creek you can get into some decent size rainbows this time of year (before they stock it next month), just use sinking line and strip your favorite flies. Bass fishing at Quail can be finicky and difficult this time of year, so if you want to catch large mouth, go to Sand Hollow. We were out there a couple evenings ago catching 3-4lb large mouth nearly every case 2 hrs before dark on spinner baits in 15' of water...love fall out there! I might head out there after work today as well...been thinking of that fun evening, need to get out before the cold front hits this weekend! Good luck!
Can you get this information directly from the DNR? I have not ever found a stocking schedule that shows when stockings will take place only when they have already happened. I'm trying to plan a trip to quail very soon and would love to time it up with a fresh stocking if I can. Thanks

I know from all the previous years, when they stock our local waters. Quail Creek is always the first Mon & Tues of Nov...

(10-27-2020, 08:01 PM)richyd4u Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 10:22 PM)Mr.Rogers Wrote:

I know from all the previous years, when they stock our local waters. Quail Creek is always the first Mon & Tues of Nov...
Awesome thank you very much for the info, i appreciate it.